Bchr Not Black Anymore

Pen_Padawan

that's probably the same seller who blocked me for suggesting that his description of a mint 1930s pen, simply wasn't mint. Probably best to stay away from these over-sensitive characters - there will be tears before bedtime for someone I'm sure.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marlow

• PaulS

• Wahl

• siamackz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that's probably the same seller who blocked me for suggesting that his description of a mint 1930s pen, simply wasn't mint. Probably best to stay away from these over-sensitive characters - there will be tears before bedtime for someone I'm sure.

Yes, or tears before ink-up.

It's a blessing in disguise really, that he blocked me from bidding. At least I now know that this eBay seller is a bit of a rogue, or should I say 'jack' (hint there).

Yes, or tears before ink-up.

It's a blessing in disguise really, that he blocked me from bidding. At least I now know that this eBay seller is a bit of a rogue, or should I say 'jack' (hint there).

...and there's more than just one of those selling in the UK and using Ye Olde Disingenuousness to it's maximum Macchiavellian potential...

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I've had the same experience a few times. These characters are simply unwilling to engage in discussion with anyone that knows their stuff and calls their descriptions into question. Were it not for the understandable FPN rules regarding such things, I could very easily name and shame 5 sellers with solid, evidence-based proof that they are dedicated and accomplished liars. I'm just happy to have identified them for my own future reference.

Laura Ingalls Wilder

There are some great examples of them over here on this side of the pond, too!!

Sadly, there seems to be no mechanism for shining a light on them. Everybody is too worried about the legal liability.

Yet, when you speak with other dedicated pen collectors, they all acknowledge having had a bad experience with these sellers, too.

It seems we have relegated this to a right of passage for the newbies. Sometimes "caveat emptor" is not enough. You have to purchase from these sellers before you can fully understand that they are not all they are cracked up to be........

It's only a few..... but some of the names are quite noteworthy.

There are some great examples of them over here on this side of the pond, too!!

Sadly, there seems to be no mechanism for shining a light on them. Everybody is too worried about the legal liability.

Yet, when you speak with other dedicated pen collectors, they all acknowledge having had a bad experience with these sellers, too.

It seems we have relegated this to a right of passage for the newbies. Sometimes "caveat emptor" is not enough. You have to purchase from these sellers before you can fully understand that they are not all they are cracked up to be........

It's only a few..... but some of the names are quite noteworthy.

Oh absolutely!!

Edited to remove unnecessary ramble!

Edited by Marlow

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I would like to share a recipe for "blackening" BHR with the forum.

First of all I´ll be clear that I would never give such a treatment to any of my own pens, but I did the experiment with an old barrel in very bad shape which was given to me. And these are the before and after pictures.

qW0jfbP.jpg4k9RQnK.jpg

Edited by Wahl

The recipe is as follows,

Clean with household ammonia and a soft brush, let it dry, rub with kitchen paper. You are left with an even brownish color on the barrel.

Mix hidrogen peroxide at 20%vol with Schwarkopf Black 1.0 hair dye. 50% mix. You will then have a brownish paste.

Apply the paste and let it dry for 40 minutes. Then clean with kitchen paper.

Rub with silicone oil and polish with a cloth.

thanks for sharing - will certainly try this recipe soon - looks to be a success.

The recipe is as follows,

Clean with household ammonia and a soft brush, let it dry, rub with kitchen paper. You are left with an even brownish color on the barrel.

Mix hidrogen peroxide at 20%vol with Schwarkopf Black 1.0 hair dye. 50% mix. You will then have a brownish paste.

Apply the paste and let it dry for 40 minutes. Then clean with kitchen paper.

Rub with silicone oil and polish with a cloth.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I'm slightly skeptical about this procedure regarding long term effects. The hydrogen peroxide might oxidize the free sulfur of the broken down polymer network leading to sulphurous acid. If this isn't washed out or neutralized properly, it might damage the material further. Maybe a final treatment with diluted ammonia could make this a little safer?

• 3 weeks later...

About a year ago, a friend of mine asked me to re-blacken four BHR pens he had in terrible shape, I borrowed the pens for some pics, and these are the results.

Sorry, no "before" pics, but they were really ugly, greenish/brown

KaN6K8X.jpg

About a year ago, a friend of mine asked me to re-blacken four BHR pens he had in terrible shape, I borrowed the pens for some pics, and these are the results.

KaN6K8X.jpg

Do you know the name of the pen on the far left?! I have a clipless cap exactly the same shape as that one and have been looking for a body to go with it as I like the cap!

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Do you know the name of the pen on the far left?! I have a clipless cap exactly the same shape as that one and have been looking for a body to go with it as I like the cap!

Yes, it´s actually a combination FP/Pencil, the imprint says

"Combina" Pen

Smeeton Johnson Ltd

Leicester England.

KaN6K8X.jpg

So, just to be clear - these are one year post your procedure? Have they been used/handled during this time?

So, just to be clear - these are one year post your procedure? Have they been used/handled during this time?

At least a year post procedure, probably more, but I don´t remember exactly, and no, they haven´t been handled much.

I know of one pen restorer who uses Cherry Blossom Liquid shoe Polish, then buffed by hand and left for 24 hours followed by a spray coat of sealant, a car product that detailers are using instead of wax.

I thought that you may like to see an example of a well worn and well loved Sheaffer, you would want to leave that surface just as it is.