Ebonite Glue From German Manufacturer?

Marlow

I wonder whether this is just a tease or might it be any good?

https://www.ebonite-arts.de/en/products/basicmelt.php

They DO have pics of fountain pens on their site...

I contacted them for a sample but they said the smallest quantity they would sell is 2kg and it costs 85e/kg + postage! :unsure:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marlow

• Splat

• penwash

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Based on the first page of that web site -- you still have to provide the rubber dust filler :yikes:

Based on the first page of that web site -- you still have to provide the rubber dust filler :yikes:

Yes I saw that. Not too difficult really as i have several worthless old bits of hard rubber pens. Would just need to grind them down. I was kind of hoping (i know, i know) that this might somehow be the holy grail of hard rubber pen crack repair! :lticaptd:

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Yes I saw that. Not too difficult really as i have several worthless old bits of hard rubber pens. Would just need to grind them down. I was kind of hoping (i know, i know) that this might somehow be the holy grail of hard rubber pen crack repair! :lticaptd:

Did you ask SEM whether this glue can be used to seal cracked or chipped ebonite?

I should think that they would know the answer. :)

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Did you ask SEM whether this glue can be used to seal cracked or chipped ebonite?

I should think that they would know the answer. :)

You know, I think you are right! :headsmack:

Laura Ingalls Wilder

I am very doubtful about glue that works with hard rubber. All I know is that hard rubber is totally inert to any kind of glue. If you want to fix a crack, you'd have to vulcanize it properly. Maybe the stuff they are selling is a vulcanizer but they don't say so.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to arrive late on your very interesting thread. I too have a really wonderful nib in a broken ebonite ‘safety’ fountain pen (oh that I’d kept it as a dipper while it worked as such… but no…

It strikes me that OMASsimo has a point. As far as I can see the fact that ebonite softens under heat may be the only answer. In anycase it has dashed my hopes of having found a new wonder glue.

what to do… Oh what to do?   This nib is very small but with terrific flex and perfect bounce.

Ambling off the point somewhat one of our FPN colleagues came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea : to have a 3D copy made of my fractured helix.   So obvious, so simple - to have it printed in nylon seemed the perfect solution.  However, my local 3D print shop snorted at the idea, I don’t know why.

8 hours ago, Splat said:

what to do… Oh what to do?

These two videos may help...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Dipper, I know those two videos and will now follow the excellent advice.  In the meantime I did try a glueless repair on my helix - it was split at the pin at the cork end. I managed to break a triangular piece of ebonite out of the end of the helix…. I tried sleeving it back in place and to an extent it worked. I slipped a heat shrink tube ring over the fractured end of the helix and, with everything in place, shrank the tubing ring over the splits. It did indeed squeeze the helix back into shape. However, the heat shrink tubing wasn’t thin walled and despite emery paper and a dab of silicone grease it was going to be too tight a fit into the barrel.

So, I’ve tracked down a length of id 4 mm od 6mm rigid transparent polycarbonate tubing - which seems to be just right. I can now do the tracing paper and crayon trick to rub the helix and transfer it to the new tube, then we shall see won’t we ?  All I can say is that this nib is special and worth the effort. If this doesn’t work I’ll try and frankenpen it - I have other safety pens with lesser nibs. This is a shot of the very unpromising little nib as I bought it. I straightened out the bent tine and reset the nib, my delight at its capabilities came as an enormous surprise.55E51054-C321-4939-81F7-DD4BF2F97B02.thumb.jpeg.ae937bc86ab3c3c9629bb4b756a05930.jpeg

I used Loctite 480 to glue a crack in a Conklin cap lip. This was several years ago, and it has held nicely ever since. I admit that I don't post this cap because I worry that this would put too much force on the repaired crack. The crack originated at the lip of the cap and ran straight up for about 1/2 inch. It probably was an old crack, and it had spread noticably at the lip. I wicked a tiny amount of the Loctite 480 into the crack from inside the cap, then quickly clamped it closed using a homemade clamp that encircled the cap. I allowed several days before removing the clamp. I used micromesh to touch up the tiny amount of excess on the exterior of the cap, and since the 480 is black, the result is nearly impossible to spot. The small bottle, 0.7 oz, is about $25. Available from Amazon now...

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp