nightfury11

This is my first ink review, and it's going to be CAMLIN ROYAL BLUE!

I saw this as one of the requested inks, so I gave it a shot! Constructive critics, are always welcome!

Here you go![

attachment=466681:camlin royal blue .pdf]

Right. It comes in a 60 mL bottle, and is dye based, costs around 20 INR or .30 Dollars. I have covered the rest in the attachment.

SCORES:

1. Saturation: 4 / 5. It isn't the same throughout, as the colour varies over a few days.

2. Drying: 3 / 5. As you can see from the drying test, it isn't very great.

3. Smoothness: 4.5 / 5. It feels brilliant writing with this ink, it's really smooth, but not as good as PR or Waterman for example.

4. Shading: 2 / 5. It is TERRIBLE! There is zero shading! It isn't something very good, or pleasing to the eye.

Final Score: 13.5 / 20.

Hope you enjoyed!

The file is attached here, as I couldn't figure out how to have it in the middle of the review!

camlin royal blue .pdf

Edited by taranthatsme

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nightfury11

• amberleadavis

• mhguda

• mke

Nice review, although I find the blue somewhat pale. For the insertion of images, use the FPN Upload function up top in the middle of the bar between FPN Home (to the left) and Downloads (to the right).

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Short, to the point review: thank you! although I do agree with lapis that your ink seems somewhat pale. There's hope though: I also have a bottle of Camlin wahsable royal blue ink, and at some point it was pale like yours; I basically abandoned it for years. Just came back to it today, and it has changed for the better! none of that pale washed out blue. It is much darker than I remember. I think some evaporation helped make a better ink... and I agree, it does not shade - but with a dark blue, that is a plus in my mind!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

> your ink seems somewhat pale

That could also come from scanning.

You cannot insert pdf files into a posting - only picture files (jpg).

And I have a request for your next reviews. Always add a photo of the bottle (and of the box, if it comes as a bottle in a box). That might be important information in the future.

Edited by mke

Nice review, although I find the blue somewhat pale. For the insertion of images, use the FPN Upload function up top in the middle of the bar between FPN Home (to the left) and Downloads (to the right).

Thank you! I'll do that next time for sure. As for the ink, yes it is very pale.

> your ink seems somewhat pale

That could also come from scanning.

You cannot insert pdf files into a posting - only picture files (jpg).

And I have a request for your next reviews. Always add a photo of the bottle (and of the box, if it comes as a bottle in a box). That might be important information in the future.

Yep. I'll post a photograph of the bottle and the box as well.

Short, to the point review: thank you! although I do agree with lapis that your ink seems somewhat pale. There's hope though: I also have a bottle of Camlin wahsable royal blue ink, and at some point it was pale like yours; I basically abandoned it for years. Just came back to it today, and it has changed for the better! none of that pale washed out blue. It is much darker than I remember. I think some evaporation helped make a better ink... and I agree, it does not shade - but with a dark blue, that is a plus in my mind!

I'll try leaving the bottle open for a week or so, and see what happens. But realistically, I won't need to because my Dad and I found 19 bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire at home in an old drawer, and I have a bottle of PR Electric DC Blue, and some Noodlers here and there as well.

Wow 19 bottles - youre set for life! Lucky find.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Wow 19 bottles - youre set for life! Lucky find.

Yep! When Dad found out that it was the last of the lot, he bought out the store!

Which year bottel is it?

I am using this this same ink for the past 8 years as my workhorse ink and have noticed that it has changed 3 times till now.

Not by much but slightly

Years I have seen changes are 2012, 2015, 2018.

I like the post 2018 the most

2015 is drier

2012 has less saturation, IMO.

Edited by Ramchandra

I'll try leaving the bottle open for a week or so, and see what happens. But realistically, I won't need to because my Dad and I found 19 bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire at home in an old drawer, and I have a bottle of PR Electric DC Blue, and some Noodlers here and there as well.

Don't leave the bottle open, you might leave your ink vulnerable to mold. But if you can, get a second bottle that you can put aside for a while. And, congratulations on your treasure. Savor every drop. Do a search on this forum to see how many of us are now green with jealousy. Some one once sent me a 3ml sample, that is all I have ever used of that ink. There are look-alikes and mixes that approximate it, and I have a few of those, but to have the real thing.. times 19... enjoy to the hilt! :puddle: :notworthy1:

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Very nice review! Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Wow! Find that many bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire is amazing! You are very fortunate indeed!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Congratulations on your first review. I hope we get to see loads more :)

Thanks! Yes, in a bit. I had made this review a few months ago, and was too scared to upload it.

Very nice review! Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Wow! Find that many bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire is amazing! You are very fortunate indeed!

Can't agree more!

Don't leave the bottle open, you might leave your ink vulnerable to mold. But if you can, get a second bottle that you can put aside for a while. And, congratulations on your treasure. Savor every drop. Do a search on this forum to see how many of us are now green with jealousy. Some one once sent me a 3ml sample, that is all I have ever used of that ink. There are look-alikes and mixes that approximate it, and I have a few of those, but to have the real thing.. times 19... enjoy to the hilt! :puddle: :notworthy1:

Yeah. I'll do that. It is like proper treasure!

Which year bottel is it?

I am using this this same ink for the past 8 years as my workhorse ink and have noticed that it has changed 3 times till now.

Not by much but slightly

Years I have seen changes are 2012, 2015, 2018.

I like the post 2018 the most

2015 is drier

2012 has less saturation, IMO.

Was manufactured in October 2018. I might have an old bottle lying around somewhere, and if I do find it, I'll do a comparison.

fpn_1559655805__camlin_royal_blue_-page-Updated to add back photo.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

fpn_1559655805__camlin_royal_blue_-page-Updated to add back photo.

Thanks Amber! How do I add the photograph? Do I just paste the link?

Thanks Amber! How do I add the photograph? Do I just paste the link?

From our own moderator, D.ick.

Uploading pictures:

BE SURE you have the rights to publish the picture! FPN will not be held responsible for any copyright-infringements!!!

And please upload your pictures to our servers, that will make sure the pictures stay visible, and are not accidentally removed, or blocked by the picture host. Alas there are many old reviews on FPN useless as all the pictures for the review are gone.

If you are new to FPN your picture uploading abilities are severely limited for security reasons.

As a Bronze member you can attach pictures using the Full Editor. There you will find a button to choose a picture from your computer to add to your post. This method has a very limited capacity!

After 7 days membership you are promoted to Bronze-+ member (bronze-plus). After that you are able to use the Upload-facility.

To use this, click the Upload button on top of the FPN-screen, in the button-bar right under the FPN-logo.

This will open a new tab or window for your browser, so you can switch from your message to the pics you are uploading.

In the new window, choose either Upload from HDD to find a picture on your computer, or paste a link to a picture on the internet in the space just below the HDD option.

Click Add Image to send the picture to our servers.

To get the picture in your post, you have to copy the link to the uploaded picture in your post.

First go to Full Editor. (you don't HAVE to, but that will give you a preview option!)

To do that, click the little button after the name of your picture. (the thing with the arrow pointing up)

That will display the codes to use.

Hover your mousepointer over one of these, it will autoselect. Use BBcode. Right-click your mouse and choose copy.

Then go to the window with your text, click the mouse on the position you want the picture, right-click and paste.

You will now see the code to your picture.

If you want more pictures, repeat.

You can type the text for your post around those codes. Use preview to see if it works out as you intended.

If you are satisfied, click Post.

A more extensive description with many pictures can be found under the button MANUALS on the upper border of the FPN screen.

D.ick

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY