Jinhao 51A Coming To The Goulet?

penzel_washinkton

Interesting pen I saw in the Goulet Pens Company "Coming Soon" section:

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/jinhao-51a-demonstrator-fountain-pen-black?variant=16265736290347

They seem to be releasing the pen in 4 / 5 colors currently if the coming soon section is to be believed.

Now as my personal opinion, I thought they would be hesitant in releasing a pen that is heavily inspired by Parker 51 design.

But then I remember that they are not partners of Parker pens (AFAIK).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• jekostas

• PAKMAN

• Gnarlstopher

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/jinhao-51a-demonstrator-fountain-pen-black?variant=16265736290347

They seem to be releasing the pen in 4 / 5 colors currently if the coming soon section is to be believed.

Now as my personal opinion, I thought they would be hesitant in releasing a pen that is heavily inspired by Parker 51 design.

Not to mention the fact that the Parker 51 is a pretty old design, and no longer made by Parker?

Styling wide its totally P51 inspired alright but the pen part is totally new the only thing that tie them together is that they are using a hooded section and a tubular nib ; Actually the P51 innovation is the hooded nature of the section, and that really is the singular feature that distinguish the model .. as of today though the only in production ( for real ) hooded nib fountain pen are almost exclusively from China and I think Goulet know that too, but as a long time Jinhao seller, it would be illogical to not had this rather well received model on the roster

And - is that pen a must have or is it just another cheap pen which performs more or less good?

And - is that pen a must have or is it just another cheap pen which performs more or less good?

That's up to you.

I like my wooden 51A a lot (open nib version). But I was just fine without it before I bought it.

<shrug>

Edited by TSherbs

They moved from Coming Soon to New Arrivals. Ordered the blue one to try them out. $8

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have two of them, wooden pens with hooded nib, and find them to be quite nice and durable. Ordered them direct from China. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Mixed reviews, I guess you have to try it for yourself.

Personally, I found them great for the price. One major con is the relatively small sweet spot the pen has (the hooded version at least)

Edited by penzel_washinkton

Thanks. Great for the price pens, I have many, too many.

I might order one, nevertheless.

I like extra fine nibs generally, we'll see about these. They only seemed to come in xf as I couldn't change the nib size on the order form.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Thanks. Great for the price pens, I have many, too many.

I might order one, nevertheless.

What I like is the thicker section (on the open nib version, anyway)

Why would Parker care about a copy of a pen that they haven't made since the 70s? Frankly, why would anybody?

Edited by jekostas

Wow my 51a from Goulet showed up already! Inked it up with Monteverde Horizon Blue and it's quite a nice smooth writer!

PAKMAN

Why would Parker care about a copy of a pen that they haven't made since the 70s? Frankly, why would anybody?

Don't understand about how patents work but if sometimes in the near future they decide to re-birth the 51 model, is it possible?

As for anybody else that would care, you can easily find people in this community that belittle so many Chinese pens that copy the design of the Parker pens.

Wow my 51a from Goulet showed up already! Inked it up with Monteverde Horizon Blue and it's quite a nice smooth writer!

Congrat and yes I could confirm that the 51A is definitely a smooth writer. Enjoy your purchase of the 51A!

Had a couple of them since the beginning of the year, one in wood and the other in acrylic. I am not an expert on acrylics but this acrylic feels different than most any other pen I own. If I were a gambling man, I would put my money on celluloid. It seems to have that "soft warm" feel that I have read about celluloid pens. Maybe someone that knows more than me can check it out.

They both write very, very well. Looks and feels almost identical to the section and nib of the JinHao 911 but there is some size difference in the section. I would bet the nib is exactly the same, though.

Don't understand about how patents work but if sometimes in the near future they decide to re-birth the 51 model, is it possible?

No. Once the patent is gone, it's gone.

Patents can only go so far its the copyright and trademarks that does the rest once Patents expire and doesnt get renewed (considering China blatantly doesnt give a damn for all things considered) its open to be purchased by trolls

ideally speaking you can use patent trolling as a get rich quick scheme

Edited by Algester

The Goulet listing mentions that the transparent (non-actylic) models can be eyedroppered. Does anyone know what size the O-ring you install should be? I tried one of the O-rings that I use on my Preppies, and it stuck out too far and blocked the cap. Should I just try it with silicone grease and no O-ring?

No. Once the patent is gone, it's gone.

Patents can only go so far its the copyright and trademarks that does the rest once Patents expire and doesnt get renewed (considering China blatantly doesnt give a damn for all things considered) its open to be purchased by trolls

ideally speaking you can use patent trolling as a get rich quick scheme

I see, so right now no one is holding the patents over the design?

The Goulet listing mentions that the transparent (non-actylic) models can be eyedroppered. Does anyone know what size the O-ring you install should be? I tried one of the O-rings that I use on my Preppies, and it stuck out too far and blocked the cap. Should I just try it with silicone grease and no O-ring?

I don't see any limitations of making this an eyedropper pen since it has no metal parts.

Maybe you should consult with the Customer Service at Goulet, I've heard that their CS is excellent.

Also I wouldn't recommend going only with a silicone grease. People have had success using the O-Ring only but I believe using silicone grease only have a greater risk of leakage.

Im by no means well versed on the issue, but my understanding is that patents in the United States dont last very long as a matter of course.