Blackstone Barrister Blue Black (Permanent) Ink

Jamerelbe

A little over a month ago I finally managed to get my hands on a small bottle of Blackstone Barrister Blue Black - an ink I'd been wanting ever since I first saw it come on the market. The new formulation of Barrister Blue (for which I've just posted a review, see https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/346668-blackstone-barrister-blue-permanent-ink-new-formulation/) is a lovely ink, but almost leans turquoise.

I really liked the old Blue formulation (and still have a nearly full bottle of it), so was sad to see it discontinued / replaced - and wondered whether this might make for a good replacement.

As you'll see from the written review below, I really like this ink. The nano-pigment formulation has been flowing smoothly and trouble-free in my pens for more than a month now, and I love the richness of flow and the 'texture' of the ink. It's not like-for-like with the old Blue - the latter really was a dark blue / blue black, whereas this (in common with a lot of older / vintage Blue-Blacks) has a greenish tinge to it - but I find myself really appreciating it.

At the moment it's only available in 25 ml glass bottles (at least on the Just Write website - https://justwrite.com.au/Blackstone-Fountain-Pen-Ink/Waterproof-Fountain-Pen-Ink) - but at AU$16 for a fully waterproof ink, I think it's a pretty fair proposition.

Below is a photo of my written review, plus the water test in action - the water had little to no effect on the ink, even though I'd laid the lines down less than 10 minutes earlier. Pretty impressive performance!

bFXvk2O.jpg

jNfRp4L.jpg

Standard disclaimer: Though I've occationall received review samples from Kevin / Just Write Pens / Blackstone Inks, I paid full price for this bottle with my own money!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• bemon

• 1nkulus

• inkstainedruth

Any clue as to whether this new formulation is going to be available outside of Australia anytime soon? (As if I really needed another blue black ink.... :headsmack:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

No idea, sorry! I got the impression (when I asked the manufacturer about the ink, months ago) that he wasn't sure if he was going to make another batch - the pigment inks are a much bigger investment of time and resources to produce, and he didn't know whether demand would be sufficient. In the end he produced another batch, though - so I guess it's worth hounding your local US suppliers to hound Blackstone? Having now tried the ink, I really hope he keeps producing it, it really is wonderful!

Any clue as to whether this new formulation is going to be available outside of Australia anytime soon? (As if I really needed another blue black ink.... headsmack.gif)

It is available at Cult pens.

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/BN65208/blackstone-barrister-waterproof-bottled-ink-30ml

I assume this could be the older formulation, since it is 30ml and the OP mentions 25ml for the new formulation. unsure.png

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

It is available at Cult pens.

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/BN65208/blackstone-barrister-waterproof-bottled-ink-30ml

I assume this could be the older formulation, since it is 30ml and the OP mentions 25ml for the new formulation. unsure.png

Good to know. It's also listed on Anderson Pens website, but out of stock.

I don't think this ink has been reformulated (it's a new ink already!), it's just been repackaged into smaller glass bottles...

I don't think this ink has been reformulated (it's a new ink already!), it's just been repackaged into smaller glass bottles...

In which case, it should put Ruth's dilemma to rest. smile.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 1 month later...

I've really been enjoying their Barrier Reef Blue. I'm on the end of my 3rd sample. I've had a hard time deciding weather or not to pull the trigger because in some pens it's nearly identical to KWZ Azure # 4, so I kept ordering samples. I guess that tells me it's time for a bottle.

...and after discovering how difficult it is to find a bottle, I went ahead and ordered a Bottle yesterday from Lemur Inks. Never done business with them, but after checking 6 sites (one totally unresponsive), I gave them a shot.

So now after working so hard to sell off my collection from 60 some odd bottles down to 11, I'll be up to 12. (Though I'm going to sell two of those bottles along with whatever I don't like out of my next batch of samples). I'm rambling.

...and after discovering how difficult it is to find a bottle, I went ahead and ordered a Bottle yesterday from Lemur Inks. Never done business with them, but after checking 6 sites (one totally unresponsive), I gave them a shot.

So now after working so hard to sell off my collection from 60 some odd bottles down to 11, I'll be up to 12. (Though I'm going to sell two of those bottles along with whatever I don't like out of my next batch of samples). I'm rambling.

bemon, Barrier Reef Blue and Barrister Blue Black (as reviewed here) are not the same ink.

• 1 month later...

Great review! Thank you. Also, thank you for saving me a few more dollars. I really don't care for this color at all.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

bemon, Barrier Reef Blue and Barrister Blue Black (as reviewed here) are not the same ink.

I'm aware. Which is why I commented that "I'm enjoying their Barrier Reef Blue".