Tom Kellie

Pelikan Trio

~ In December, 2018 a two-part plan for ordering paper, inks, etuis, and Pelikan fountain pens gradually came together.

The underlying idea was to place a smaller test order with Fritz Schimpf stationery in Tübingen, Germany, before following up with a larger order.

Circumstances are such that such “foreign” goods as fountain pens receive less-than-friendly treatment when arriving in the area where I work and live.

Mindful of the potential delays and obstruction, Fritz Schimpf very graciously worked with me to prepare a shipment with minimal potential issues.

Nevertheless, that shipment, including a Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue B with a Fritz Schimpf Italic Broad Grind, was help up for a time due to administrative interference.

After the first shipment arrived, I was so delighted with the goods received that the second follow-up order was placed with several extra items added beyond what I'd originally anticipated.

The Fritz Schimpf Feinpost writing paper is sufficiently fountain pen friendly that more was ordered to ensure an adequate supply.

The four Fritz Schimpf inks are reliable for work purposes, therefore another set was ordered as back-up.

A two-pen Pelikan black leather etui would facilitate bringing pens to classrooms, lecture halls or research laboratories.

Three Pelikan pens were ordered with small size, specialized nibs, and comparatively understated overall appearance.

Pelikan Souverän M400 Special Edition Tortoiseshell Brown with an IB nib

• Pelikan Special Edition Classic M200 Smoky Quartz with an EF nib

• Pelikan Classic M205 Black with a Fritz Schimpf Italic Broad Grind Nib

The second shipment was similarly held up for a couple of months, which was no fault whatsoever of Fritz Schimpf which provides exemplary service.

Yesterday afternoon the box arrived, in which everything was in excellent shape, as a result of the high quality packing by Fritz Schimpf.

The greatest surprise was the size of the three fountain pens, which were somewhat larger than I expected.

All three nibs write very well, and the four inks from L’Artisan Pastellier exceed my expectations.

Once again, I'm a highly satisfied customer of Fritz Schimpf and, by extension, Pelikan. These products meet my professional requirements with elegance.

Tom K.

fpn_1558881226__delayed_several_months.j

Delayed Several Months

fpn_1558881297__well_protected.jpg

Well Protected

fpn_1558881382__initial_glimpse.jpg

Initial Glimpse

fpn_1558881445__diverse_order.jpg

Diverse Order

fpn_1558881505__unwrapped.jpg

Unwrapped

fpn_1558881553__ink_octet.jpg

Ink Octet

fpn_1558881664__lartisan_pastellier_inks

L’Artisan Pastellier Inks

fpn_1558881737__two-pen_etui.jpg

Two-Pen Etui

fpn_1558881793__pelikan_box_opened.jpg

Pelikan Box Opened

fpn_1558881856__pelikan_special_edition_

Pelikan Special Edition Classic M200 Smoky Quartz EF Nib

fpn_1558881954__pelikan_ef_nib.jpg

Pelikan EF Nib

fpn_1558882016__pelikan_classic_m205_bla

Pelikan Classic M205 Black B Nib with Fritz Schimpf Italic Broad Grind

fpn_1558882144__fritz_schimpf_italic_gri

Fritz Schimpf Italic Broad Grind on a Pelikan B Nib

fpn_1558882233__quality_presentation.jpg

Quality Presentation

fpn_1558882299__pelikan_souvern_m400_spe

Pelikan Souverän M400 Special Edition Tortoiseshell Brown IB Nib

fpn_1558882431__pelikan_ib_nib.jpg

Pelikan IB Nib

fpn_1558882485__pelikan_trio.jpg

Pelikan Trio

fpn_1558882557__eight_ink_bottles.jpg

Eight Ink Bottles

fpn_1558882627__fritz_schimpf_grind_writ

Fritz Schimpf Italic Broad Grind Writing Sample

fpn_1558882734__bleu_azur.jpg

Bleu Azur

fpn_1558882810__pelikan_ib_nib_writing_s

Pelikan IB Nib Writing Sample

fpn_1558882910__ocanto.jpg

Ocanto

fpn_1558882998__pelikan_ef_nib_writing_s

Pelikan EF Nib Writing Sample

fpn_1558883073__bleu.jpg

Bleu

fpn_1558883161__noir_ink.jpg

Noir

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Bo Bo Olson

• Lam1

• chromantic

Tom, thank you for sharing your impressions and writing samples, it is always a treat!

(Off to fill my Iconic Blue, EF sample was the trigger)

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

:) I do like the standard sized 400's got a slew of them....mostly vintage, and a '90's tortoise. Have more 200's than originally planned also.

Some day you will get a '50-65 semi-flex :puddle: for those pens.......stubbed with an ease of tine spread half as heavy as your 200.

I do like the springy regular flex 200's (traditional non blobby) nibs. I rave about them all the time.

Your modern 400 is a semi-nail. I'm glad you got a modified nib for it, one that gives some character. The normal stiffer fat blob IMO is a good nib to stub or CI...or IB in your case.

One of the few new pens I have, a marbled brown I think it's called. Looks better than the picture in EF. From Fritz. Picture with permission from Fritz....too.

DSPqv6F.jpg

L’Artisan Pastellier is an ink I didn't look at when I had a chance (say 5 years ago), but will now that MB priced it's self out of my market. :thumbup:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What a wonderful post, Tom!

Thank you for sharing.

Those are three fantastic pens with great nibs.

I have exactly the same nib in my M400 tortoise that you have in yours.

My IB is very wet and one of my favorite nibs.

I saw the photo of the three pens in the Adding thread and, in the dim half-light of my living room, thought the smoky quarts was the red demonstrator but I can clearly see here at work that's it's the quartz (the caption makes it clear, also). A beautiful set you've gotten, especially the tortoise. Enjoy!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Lovely post, thank you! Pelikan pens of that size are my favorites, supremely good writers too. Have one modern M200 (Blue Marble) and a whole lot bigger flock of vintage Pelikans of same size (140, 400/N/NN and 100N). Your post has made me consider the modern ones more seriously, especially with the IB or Fritz Schimpf Italic grind nibs.

That’s a great trio of pens. Congrats. Fritz Schimpf is a first class retailer. Their own branded products perform great in my experience. Sorry you had issues with shipping. Takes me 2-4 weeks to get my packages from them.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

That’s a great trio of pens. Congrats. Fritz Schimpf is a first class retailer. Their own branded products perform great in my experience. Sorry you had issues with shipping. Takes me 2-4 weeks to get my packages from them.

~ sargetalon:

Thank you for your very kind comment about Fritz Schimpf stationery in Tübingen, Germany.

Perhaps I was insufficiently clear above relative to the multi-month protracted delays in shipping for both of 2019's shipments from Fritz Schimpf.

The fault had nothing whatsoever to do with Fritz Schimpf, who provided stellar service that was far more rapid than expected.

The plain reality is that I work and live in an area where there's carefully planned, intentional interference with arriving “foreign” products.

That affects everyone and everything across the board in this area.

It's a current ideological customs policy which causes one to think twice before ordering anything from overseas.

Like you, I have nothing but the highest regard for Fritz Schimpf, which has become my go-to supplier for pens, inks and paper.

Regarding paper, the loftiest praise is reserved for Fritz Schimpf's Feinpost paper, which consistently brings out the best in any of my nibs and any inks.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Excellent "haul" ! Thank you for the illustrative report with writing samples and your impressions. It was a pleasure to read and view.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Great looking loot! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Nice pens! The Smoky Quartz looks really beautifull. And the bottles of ink should be enough fo last this decade😀

Edited by Hans01

That is a box full of goodies! Congrats, beautiful pens and inks. The smoky quartz looks so nice in your picture.

Exactly! I thought Smoky Quartz wasn't attractive, but it looks very good together with the other two pens.

Thanks for the well written and photographed post Tom! And congratulations on the new FP gear!

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

• 3 months later...