Do You Use Fp Ink On Your Envelopes?

Miskatonic

When addressing an envelope for the post, do you dare use regular fountain pen ink? I worry that even limited rain or snow exposure from a trip through the mail delivery service might obscure the address. Do you active letter writers go ahead and risk it, cover this area with a strip of clear package tape, or address the envelop with a ball point just to be safe?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMLee

• FLZapped

• Parker51

• mke

Yes, but I tend to use water resistant/waterproof inks for that.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Platinum Carbon Black ink in a Platinum Desk Pen (m) nib for return address.

Either that ink or a DeAtramentis Document Black in a variety of pens (sometimes a music nib) for the send address and other documentation. Washi tape on the back to assist sealing.

I also use the desk pen for writing checks.

When addressing an envelope for the post, do you dare use regular fountain pen ink? I worry that even limited rain or snow exposure from a trip through the mail delivery service might obscure the address. Do you active letter writers go ahead and risk it, cover this area with a strip of clear package tape, or address the envelop with a ball point just to be safe?

Yes.....I don't worry about it......I will take a plain wax candle and wipe...no..make that rub with said candle over

address on cover.....No problemo.....

Fred..

Take It Easy.....Eagles....Even when passing the girl on the corner in Winslow {years before the song}..on me R50/2 on my way back east

for a visit after TOD.............

I usually print them on a laser printer. If by hand, I block print using a water resistant ink or gel pen.

On a related note, I'm always fascinated when people want to use an indelible ink for check signatures. The signature is the part I want to be washed off if someone attempts fraud. The payee and long form dollar amount is what I use indelible ink for.

I use iron gall ink for envelopes.

+1

Yes, so do I. Diamine Registrar's is fine here.

I have De Atramentis Dokumententinte (black) at hand, but blue-black IGs look better and my Swan pens like them... ;-)

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Yes. Longer than Karmachanic above. No problems. I have worse things to worry about.

I have used fountain pen ink on envelopes. Never had any problem with it. If a letter is really important, I use a ball pen.

Yes, I do. I use either Namiki Blue or Sailor Kiwa-guro. I usually have 2-3 pens with the blue in it at all times so that is fine for addresses, and I have one pen - a Sailor Pro Gear with a fine nib - that is always inked with K-G for the specific purpose of writing postcards. If you are nervous about just an address, how would you propose to write an entire postcard? For me, this has worked for a long time.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Yes, like several others who have already posted above, I have several pens dedicated to bulletproof inks, and I grab one of those for my envelop writing.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I used to...any ink at all. Then I'd rub a candle over the writing.

These days I use a gel pen, because I'm too lazy for the extra step. Besides, they come in enough colors to match the stamp, so that is awesome.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Yes, for a long time. Bad Belted Kingfisher for address and return address.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Yes, but most of the inks I use for anything at all are at least water resistant. Pilot Blue and Blue Black, De Atramentis Document Blue, some others. Water resistant by my own tests, but I don't worry about the post office spilling chemicals on them, and don't bother with "bulletproof". Any writing that I've done on the paper inside, whether it's an entire letter, or just filling in blanks in a form, will be done in the same water resistant ink.

I seldom use any inks that aren't water resistant. If I do happen to have a pen filled with one, I limit its use to unimportant temporary things.

There was a post some time ago on another forum from someone who had left a letter in his rural style mailbox for the mailman to pick up. It rained heavily before the mailman came, and when he did, he sensibly didn't take the letter. The writer showed pictures. Not only had the address and return address washed off the envelope, but the ink had run so badly on the letter inside that nothing could be read. With water soaking the entire letter and washing away the contents, I doubt if the trick mentioned above of rubbing a wax candle over the address would have helped, it would just have washed away from the other side. But that's an extreme case.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I use whatever ink i’ve written the letter with. Just rub it with a white tea candle and no worries.

I've heard of someone using hairspray on top of the address to seal it in... Never tried it myself though. I use the same ink I use for the letter and never had a problem so far.