Closed - Ranga Handmade Pens- Bock Titanium Nibs Group Buy With Popular Twelve Models In 50 Ebonite Colours!

I wish the titanium came in EF. I'd buy another if it did.

Also, I kinda of wish the 4c posted better than it does. the 3c posts perfectly, but the 4c doesn't really go on deeply enough.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BaronWulfraed

• mpkandan

• bbs

• Dupontdelamare

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happily! At present I favour the F, the springiness seems slightly more pronounced in that width. But nothing wrong with the M either. I haven't tried a B in this nib, so will reserve comment.

My titanium Bock nibs are in other pen models, but the steel Bock nibs I've got in Mr Kandan's pens have all performed well and I see no reason why the titanium ones shouldn't as well.

Good luck with your choice! Unless you want to explore the springiness feeling, I'd suggest going with the nib width you usually favour.

Thank you very much for that, bbs. Having a Bock 1.5 italic and a JoWo 1.1, I have experienced that the Bock is more flexible than the JoWo, which seems to go in the same direction as your remarks; and I imagine a Bock fine could indeed be more flexible than a Bock M (possibly less metal so less impedance?), but you mention springiness, and I thought springiness relates to how quickly a nib springs back after flexing? Are you using springiness to mean good flex plus healthy spring back resulting in some line variation? This is what I would hope for. I am just wondering whether a Titanium F would have more flex and spring back than a Bock steel F, since the price is more than double that of the Bock Titanium? However, I do also enjoy some feed back, and I believe I read somewhere that there is more feedback with a Bock Titanium than a Bock steel? Thank you again for your helpful remarks, but please feel free to comment.

Regards

Dupont

Hi again, Dupont, I think from your definition of springiness I should perhaps have used the word bounce! The nibs have a little give in them but I wouldn't describe them as flex. They are extremely pleasant to use though, and give my writing a bit more expression. Yes, I would say they have a bit more feedback than the Bock steel.

Hope that helps!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not ready!

Received email notification of shipping for the pens in this group...

Last time, the pens arrived three days after the notification -- though I think that shipment went out a week before the notification did.

Received email notification of shipping for the pens in this group...

Ditto, super excited!

Dear All,

Thanks for your good support. We have shipped all the pens.

I have sent shipment details in mail.

We will see you again in Super exciting group buy soon

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

My Ranga Bamboo regular with a titanium nib, Medium arrived today.

fpn_1560887822__ranga_bamboo_large_-_1.j

It writes beautifully with quite a wet line, though not as wet as my Visconti HomoSapiens. I've grown to love wet lines. :P

The nib is well tuned and is well aligned.

fpn_1560887834__ranga_bamboo_large_-_2.j

fpn_1560887844__ranga_bamboo_large_-_3.j

fpn_1560887858__ranga_bamboo_large_-_4.j

Overall, great value.

This one does NOT post, although I don't think this is a requirement since the pen is well big enough to use without posting.

... and here are some size comparisons with pens that I use just fine without posting.

fpn_1560887868__ranga_bamboo_large_-_5.j

Here it is with my other Rango pen, a model 4c

fpn_1560887877__ranga_bamboo_large_-_6.j

I highly recommend this model and the nib. I prefer it to my model 4c. I found it to be surprisingly comfortable to write with despite the considerable change in calibre between the barrel and the nib/grip section. The threads don't come in contact with my hand at all. I don't plan to use it as an eyedropper although it seems like it can be used as one.

Edited by maclink

Are you sure it won't post?

Granted, I don't post my bamboo, but the indented end of the barrel WILL snugly accept the cap. I'm just more worried about splitting the cap if it gets torqued to the side rather than going directly on/off.

And we have touchdown... One week after email, nine days after postmark.

No photos -- I'm still trying to determine if (and which) pens to just drain, or wait for them to run dry. (Given the load in the Opus 88 Omar, that one will take some time)

Think I should have ordered a medium nib -- That would have given me Bock titaniums in B/M/F, rather than B/F/F... Ah well, maybe next buy...

I wish the titanium came in EF. I'd buy another if it did.

Also, I kinda of wish the 4c posted better than it does. the 3c posts perfectly, but the 4c doesn't really go on deeply enough.

Order one threaded for Bock without nib, and purchase the EF from Beaufort.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Received my pen yesterday. It's beautiful. Ill post pictures when/if time allows. Looking forward to the next group buy.

Sort of to be expected since the 4© has the flush fitting cap, while the 3© has the overlapping cap -- hence the latter has a larger inside diameter and will extend further over the body when posted..

Been hearing a lot of good things about Ranga. Anyone who can guide me as to which model is reasonably sized - comparison to other normal sized pens like Metropolitan, Sonnet etc. All of the ones in these group buys seem to be way too big to be EDCs.

"Normal sized pens" is a vague term...

The Sonnet, Touchdown TM, and Imperial 440 (and even a Targa) feel small when put next to a Lamy Al-Star.

The Ranga Model 3 is just a hair larger than the Al-Star, the 4C feels a fraction larger than the 3 -- but that may be due to the 3 having the overlapping cap while the 4© has a flush cap fit. The regular size Bamboo is a touch larger than both of those (so the mini-Bamboo should be smaller than the Al-Star).

An old-style Sailor 1911L is a touch smaller than the Model 3. An Opus 88 Omar and Conklin Nozac (threaded cap, circa 2003) are a touch larger... And all the pens I mentioned are currently in my inked/carry rotation.

Now, the 9B Giant! THAT is too large for the pen sleeves/cases I use to carry pens. (Watch your color choices -- some choices can be mistaken for something left by a large dog if dropped on the lawn).

Edited by BaronWulfraed

probably the smallest of Ranga's models is the regular Model 8. its section is going to be more hourglass shaped and smaller as well.

Been hearing a lot of good things about Ranga. Anyone who can guide me as to which model is reasonably sized - comparison to other normal sized pens like Metropolitan, Sonnet etc. All of the ones in these group buys seem to be way too big to be EDCs.

If you're looking for a smaller pen, your options are relatively limited - there's the Model 2C (I think? Mine was sold as a 'Cruiser'), or the Model 8 - I've photographed these on either side of a Metro for you. The Model 8B is a little larger in diameter, but similar length to the 8.

I haven't seen the Model 2C on offer very often, and mine is eyedropper fill only (which is not my preference) - I'd lean in the direction of the 8, probably, as a great all-round pen that's a little slimmer than Ranga's other popular offerings.

fpn_1561379251__ranga_metro_comparison.j

[Please note I photographed most of the pens unposted because that's the way I use them; the Model 2C was posted mainly so that the clip on the cap stopped the pens from rolling - though it *does* post quite well!]