Red To Black "shading"

notbob

I recently saw a segment on Youtube shading. I was initially a red, but shaded to a black.

I've done a lotta work on "sheening" but not much on "shading". I know Noodler's Apache Sunset is a notorious shader, but howzabout red-to-black? Was I looking at a Noodler ink (red-black, black swan in Australian/English roses)? I've used a "sample" of Black Swan in Austrailian Roses and have a sample of Apache Sunset, but what was the red-to-black shading? It looked so good on that U2B vid. ;)

I'm depending on you guys/gals. ;)

nb

nulla dies sine linea

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notbob

• WalterC

• Karmachanic

• inkstainedruth

Any clue as to what the URL for the video was? It would help if other people could see the video.

But shading is going to depend on a number of factors: the paper, the nib width, and how wet/dry both the ink and the pen are (more saturated inks are less likely to shade, in my experience, especially on more absorbent paper).

For example, I tried a sample of Diamine Presidential Blue a few years ago. It had great shading on absorbent paper (a Piccadilly sketch pad from Barnes and Noble) -- but I remember that I found the ink to be pretty dry (my test of the ink was done with one of Noodler's Konrads, but not sure which one now, since it was several years ago).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Any clue as to what the URL for the video was?

If I had the URL, i'd not be asking, here. Or maybe I would

The U2B vid did not indicate the ink. It only showed a mostly reddish ink go into a nearly black shade at the bottom of the very wet stroke. ;)

nb

nb

nulla dies sine linea

I recently tried a number of dark red/red-black ink samples including Noodler’s Black Swan in AR and Noodler’s Red Black. Neither of them turned to anything black in a number of pens. The Red Black was very dark, nearly brown (kind of the color of a real black cherry gone rotten). I went back and tried it again to see if it looked more red when first laid down, but it didn’t. In fact, it looked blacker initially, becoming more red/ brown in a few minutes. DeAtrementis Deepwater Obsession Black Red is another Ink I tried, but I didn’t get any black at all-dark red and red-purple. Another ink I tried that looked good on reviews as a red-Black was KWZ IG Red #3, but it became a purple on drying, not black. One ink I do like, that looks more like a black red than any of the others I tried, was DeAtramentis Black Currant. I would categorize it as a purple if forced to choose, but it has red black in it, and I rather like the color as it is well behaved. If it was called “Black Red” or “Black Cherry,” I suppose I could be persuaded that was an appropriate choice of name. I didn’t try Private Reserve Black Cherry or Franklin Christoph Black Cherry (on the purplish side to my eye).

Another ink I tried that looked good on reviews as a red-Black was KWZ IG Red #3,

thanks fer yer reply, herrjaeger.

KWZ got me back into FP's and inks. I bought KWZ IG Turquoise. Total waste of $$. I ended up tossing the $15 jar of the stuff. It did NOT turn black and it mostly remained turquoise.

nb

nulla dies sine linea

Diamine Oxblood.

You may have something, there, lady.

I've not used Oxblood, though I do have a sample. I love Diamine inks.

I put Diamine Wild Strawberry in a red Noodler Creaper, this morning, and it gave me almost what I was looking for. I tried some cursive script on a Clarefontain journal and it was almost black at the bottom of the flex curves. I like red's, so have quite a few of 'em. Even a DeArmentis Red Raspberry (which is no longer being made).

I;ll look fer that video and try and post a link. ;)

nulla dies sine linea

Platinum Classic Cassis Black perhaps?

Add lightness and simplicate.

That Platinum Classic Cassis Black is gorgeous. I may have to think about using this IG ink in one of my pens, or use with dip pens.

While I'm familiar with dip pens (I have a bunch), I was on the trail of "flex" FP's when I ran across the video on the red-shade-to-black thing.

The video I keep referring to looks more like a "stub" --or wide italic nib. It was also a printed script (upper case), with the shading happening at the bottom of the stroke. I have some Pilot 78G's, one with a BB nib (the broadest). Also, some Lamy 1.1's and Pilot Parallel pens.

When I last bailed on FP's, there was no such thing as "shading". Only Apache Sunset was known fer shading, but "shading" wasn't a "thing" yet Now, all three (sheen/shimmer/shade) are mentioned everywhere. I have zero idea what a "shimmering" ink is. ;)

My most recent purchase is a Pilot Falcon SF (Noodler's pens flex more).

nb

nulla dies sine linea

Notbob, if you looked at the video in a browser, you might be able to search through your browser history to find your video. It could be a lot of URLs to go through if you spent much time browsing since you saw it.

Platinum Classic Cassis Black perhaps?

https://youtu.be/ik_qsz2s7gA

Karmachanic, thats impressive and dramatic. Have you used this ink? Too bad theres not more writing to view-Id like to see a page of it.

Addendum: I viewed all the other available YT vids showcasing this ink, and none of them show this dramatic change in color approaching black. The Anderson Pens vid shows something close to black when a brush is used, and ink is allowed to pool at the bottom of letters. In usual writing, however, none of the vids shows it getting very dark. Strange the vid by Clumsy penman shows the ink so differently (his comments suggest he may have used a Noodlers Ahab with Flex nib).

Edited by Herrjaeger

Karmachanic, thats impressive and dramatic. Have you used this ink?

Not as yet. I have a sample coming my way however, along with two KWZ IG inks. First exposure to IG. My understanding is that IG inks darken over time. So the initial darker shading will become much darker over a minute or two. I generally get more pronounced shading with softer titanium nibs than with nails.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thanks for the tip, WalterC, and welcome to the mob! ;)

Where is the "history"? I'm currently using a W10 box after 15 yrs of Linux, so do not know where my Edge's (browser) history is. ;)

nb

nulla dies sine linea

I don't use edge, but according to Microsoft:

"Your browsing history includes sites you've visited, passwords, info you've entered into forms, and cookies. Microsoft Edge remembers this info and stores in on your PC as you browse the web. If you use Cortana, she also stores some info in the cloud.

To view your browsing history, select Favorites , and then History. "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/search?query=edge%20browsing%20history

Don't clear the history!

Another possibility if you remember anything of the URL that took you to the video:

e.g. if it had shading in the title type the word "shading" in the address bar.I

It will then give you a list of possible URLs containing "shading".

Good luck!

I have zero idea what a "shimmering" ink is. ;)

Very fine metallic (or maybe mica or other fine flat particles) in the ink. They tend to settle, so one has to shake the bottle when filling, and rock the pen itself back&forth at times to put them back into suspension. You probably don't want to use them in any pen you don't want to disassemble for cleaning -- the particles tend to fill crannies in the feed.

May also appear a "glittering" or "glistening" (Colorverse Multiverse series has three pairs, and Trailblazer in Space series has two pairs, where the smaller bottle is "glistening").

Yeah, BW, got it. IOW, not much different than "sheen" (see
Co-razy Views" > "inks with a sheen" > #202). Jes different terminology. Lotta new inks, out there, since I last hacked these hallowed halls. I should expect "Lotta new terms".

WalterC, thnx fer the education. Looked back at my "history" and found nothing. I typically watch old U2B vids and shall prolly run acrosse it, again. ;)

nb

nulla dies sine linea

Sounds like a pilot parallel pen being used with 2 inks. You can use them with one ink, dip into a second, and produce neat fade effects.

Edited by dvalliere

Yeah, BW, got it. IOW, not much different than "sheen" (see

Co-razy Views" > "inks with a sheen" > #202). Jes different terminology. Lotta new inks, out there, since I last hacked these hallowed halls. I should expect "Lotta new terms".

Sheen appears to be something inherent in how the ink dries on the paper -- some of the photos in that thread look like the results of chromatography, in which components of the ink spread/dry differently from others.

Shimmer is a deliberate inclusion of shiny/metallic particles in the ink. Shimmering ink settles in the bottle.