• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• inkstainedruth

• Tas

• gmax

Top Posters In This Topic

Something rather beguiling about this one. The dark haloing, the stark shading. Something, something lovely about it . . . or is it your handwriting that has won me over :wub:

Either way thank you for sharing this :)

I enjoy using this ink, but don't see too many reviews. Thank you for this showing :)

And dat Montblanc :puddle:

✒️ :happyberet:

Awesome review. I'd written this ink off my wishlist since I already have three very nice oranges.... But this is making me reconsider. I tried Ancient Copper but it wasn't my cup of tea. Would I be right in assuming it would benefit from a wet pen? Hisoku and Aonibi which I already have certainly seem to.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thank you for the nice comment!

I‘ve only tried it with the vintage Montblanc 149 with very wet ink flow and semi-flex nib.

That combination adds to the nice shading.

It is different than Diamine Saddle Brown bit definitely in the same color family. If you didn‘t that one the Kyo-iro might look too similar depending on nib and ink flow.

Cheers

Michael

Hmmm. I don't normally like oranges or orange-leaning reds. But there is something very interesting looking about this ink (and the "haloing is just an added benefit). What's the nib you used?

Thanks for the review. And not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you. Very nice review and I like the comparison with the other colors!

Shading in the writing makes this one nice!

Thank you!

@Ruth:

It‘s written with a vintage 1950s Montblanc 149 which has a semi-flex stub like BB nib; very wet ink flow.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks. I don't have anything as wide as a BB, except maybe for some cheap Italic nibs (well, maybe the Pelikan IM nib that came on the second M200 Café Crème, which is something of a firehose), but I do get some give (if not actual flex) on a couple of pens I have -- the 1980s M400 Brown Tortoise, and a lovely little Morrison ringtop (which doesn't get enough use, because I don't dare take it out of the house anymore -- it keeps unscrewing itself from the cap while on the lanyard.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you!

@Ruth:

It‘s written with a vintage 1950s Montblanc 149 which has a semi-flex stub like BB nib; very wet ink flow.

Cheers

Michael

Beautiful review!

On the note of nib/feed role in ink appearance—it’s hugely important. The wet flexy stub gives the dark outline effect seen on the photographs and the deep tones. Written with a Lamy Safari and medium steel nib, it would look more like the light orange parts of the letters, without the dark edging. In a way, using wet and bold vintage pens is akin to doing ink splashes for ink reviews: providing the optimal conditions for dramatic ink appearance. That’s why I personally prefer very juicy writers.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”