Ceelo

More photos of my Montegrappa Extra Hawaii - these in "natural light," as requested elsewhere by fpupulin.

Montegrappa Extra outside 2web.jpg

Montegrappa Extra outside 1web.jpg

These still do not fully capture the beauty of this material.

David

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• francoiacc

• Ceelo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More photos of my Montegrappa Extra Hawaii - these in "natural light," as requested elsewhere by fpupulin.

These still do not fully capture the beauty of this material.

David

Obligé, my friend!

Congratulations to the new owners of Extra Hawaii, very attractive material that goes well with the overall design!

Very interesting observation, fpupulin. Your comments prompted me to go back to examine all my pens. Funny enough, same here: all my nibs are of symmetrical design except for the few Montblanc LE editions in my possession (two Petit Prince 146s and one JFK Burgundy). Interestingly none of my Italian pens has any novelty nib design, all very traditional and classic patterns, but perfect!

...finally I discovered that I am a guy for symmetrical nib design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few more contributions recently snapped with my phone. The Otto malachite is, by far, my favourite pen.

1X6nsX0h.jpg

PLEwHWuh.jpg

udPe2wvh.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

CeeElle: Thank you for your new photo post, beautiful as always. Its been quiet here. Hope you are well!

Thank you como, pens such as these are too beautiful not to share. I encourage others to do the same. Doing well too 😀

Edited by CeeElle

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This topic is perfect as I'm debating which colour of the Extra Otto to get. I have a couple questions I hope owners can answer. I'm a left handed writer and wondering how you find the fine and medium sizes compared to other pens like say a Lamy 2000 or Pelikan. I read one point that the XF seems even finer than that so I'm curious how you would rate them for width and smoothness. I'm considering a narrow nib but want to ensure it still feels very smooth as I push more than pull across the page.

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply.  I did notice at least as they appear in the photos that the mediums have some variance in width which is normal with all brands it seems. For those with fine nibs in particular can anyone comment on the feel pushing the nib. I'm an over writer so I write this way as a Lefty and unfortunately there are no shops anywhere around to test before I order. Thanks.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, Rob77499 said:

Thank you for your reply.  I did notice at least as they appear in the photos that the mediums have some variance in width which is normal with all brands it seems. For those with fine nibs in particular can anyone comment on the feel pushing the nib. I'm an over writer so I write this way as a Lefty and unfortunately there are no shops anywhere around to test before I order. Thanks.

Rob, all of my Montegrappa Extras and Ottos have EF nibs, not fine, and they are notably smooth compared to most other brands. I’m sure the fine nibs would be even smoother than the extra-fine, so I am confident you won’t have any problem for your writing style. I am left-handed too, and a side/under writer, and my Montegrappa extra-fine nibs feel very pleasant to use.

In terms of colour choice, I post here my collection of Montegrappas. My personal favourites are the zebra, butterfly, black & white and malachite celluloids - although I think malachite is becoming harder to find. But all of the Montegrappa celluloids are beautiful and you cannot make a wrong choice.

BD2AF8C5-D674-40FF-8C43-755CBE55DD9C.jpeg

Thank you Moriarty this is exactly the info I was after.  I appreciate the feedback and for sharing. That's a beautiful collection!

Rob

6 hours ago, MoriartyR said:

Rob, all of my Montegrappa Extras and Ottos have EF nibs, not fine, and they are notably smooth compared to most other brands. I’m sure the fine nibs would be even smoother than the extra-fine, so I am confident you won’t have any problem for your writing style. I am left-handed too, and a side/under writer, and my Montegrappa extra-fine nibs feel very pleasant to use.

In terms of colour choice, I post here my collection of Montegrappas. My personal favourites are the zebra, butterfly, black & white and malachite celluloids - although I think malachite is becoming harder to find. But all of the Montegrappa celluloids are beautiful and you cannot make a wrong choice.

BD2AF8C5-D674-40FF-8C43-755CBE55DD9C.jpeg

Hey, hey, hey! This is really enough to make me envious, albeit with total benevolence! This is not a collection of Extra, this is more likely a well stocked shop... with some unbelievable rarity (I know, I know, these are your customized Extras)... 

And the Sapphirus... the gorgeous Shiny Lines, and the rare Extra Otto in Malachite celluloid....

Your tastes, my friend, are simply and extraordinarily refined.

Recently, I am also quite fond on Montegrappa Black and White celluloid, which I find similar to the Charcoal, but "con brio"... In your pic, I recognize the second from the left as a Black and White, but I could not say what is the third from the right. Is it another, more subdued Black and White?

Congratulations, MoriartyR!

To the OP: Rob77499, I do not have any current Montegrappa nib in Fine, but I have a couple of the older ones, with the Palladian Greek, and they both run towards a quite narrow fine. Actually, on my Charcoal Classica the Fine nib is almost as narrow as the extra-fine on my Extra.

In general, Montegrappa nibs are known to be similar to Eastern grades, rather than European.

1 hour ago, fpupulin said:

Hey, hey, hey! This is really enough to make me envious, albeit with total benevolence! This is not a collection of Extra, this is more likely a well stocked shop... with some unbelievable rarity (I know, I know, these are your customized Extras)... 

And the Sapphirus... the gorgeous Shiny Lines, and the rare Extra Otto in Malachite celluloid....

Your tastes, my friend, are simply and extraordinarily refined.

Recently, I am also quite fond on Montegrappa Black and White celluloid, which I find similar to the Charcoal, but "con brio"... In your pic, I recognize the second from the left as a Black and White, but I could not say what is the third from the right. Is it another, more subdued Black and White?

Congratulations, MoriartyR!

Thank you, Franco. I feel a little embarrassed to accumulate so many Extras but I have become captivated by the striking quality and beauty of these pens, and the way they feel in-hand. There is a lot of passion in the pen community for other discontinued brands’ celluloids but I suspect we may feel even more strongly about Montegrappa celluloids if they also end some day, which I suppose they must. These pens are my best pens.

The third pen from the right is an Extra 1930 bamboo black. This side happens to be mostly dark. There is more light green colouring on the sides, but I think it is not as colourful overall as yours.

On the other hand, I don’t think I have yet seen such a bright butterfly celluloid colouring before than on the Otto next to it. The sides are dark, so it is not overwhelming altogether, but the top and underneath are quite strongly coloured and do evoke butterfly wings to me.

The black & white looks more lively in that picture than in real life because there are some large silver-grey flashes on this side that are pearlescent and they are reflecting the light from my window here to appear a very bright white. Normally the pen appears a mixture of black, mid-grey and silver-grey. What I like about the black & white is the flame-like randomness of the pattern and the fact that the pen evokes a rather vintage feel - in my mind at least. Here is a more typical picture of the pen, and the sides are darker with none of the silver-grey.

75CE2DD7-68D6-4A79-A44C-D099E5D3E19C.jpeg

By the way, the far right pen is olivewood with ebony for the cap and piston knob. Something quite different and simple-feeling, though the selected woods are resistant to stains and should wear pleasantly. I chose olivewood also because it was more Italian.

MoriartyR they are all beautiful to be sure.  Sorry for the misspell above in my first reply.  My phone seems opposed to adding the R. It seems there are different experiences which makes this all the more interesting.  Does anyone know whether Montegrappa still has a nib exchange program of any sort such as what Montblanc offers. I believe a similar program was mentioned a few pages back but I'm curious if this might still be an option presently were I to pick and decide a different nib size may better suit. I don't see anything on MG site or on Kenro Industry in relation. Thanks

Rob