Ceelo

Thank you for sharing, fpupulin. Stunning! The Bamboo is very intriguing. May I ask if you get usually the same width nib or different? Also I am curious how the number 8 nibs of MG compared to the Stipula Etruria, which seems to have nibs with several different material?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• francoiacc

• Ceelo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:yikes: I wish I had your same issue: which one to pick up from the top floor of this chest of drawers with who know what other beauties.

Be advised... the risk is that you will get there soon!

Thank you for sharing, fpupulin. Stunning! The Bamboo is very intriguing. May I ask if you get usually the same width nib or different? Also I am curious how the number 8 nibs of MG compared to the Stipula Etruria, which seems to have nibs with several different material?

They are mostly different nibs, como, as I really like the variety of signs and uses that they enable.

In the chest, from the left, the nibs are medium, fine, medium, stub, extra-fine, stub, extra-fine, double broad, extra-fine flexible (vintage), fine-flexible (vintage), fine and fine/medium flexible (titanium nib).

I have not enough experience with the nibs by Stipula, as I just have one in gold and one in titanium. My gold Stipula nib is however much stiffer than the corresponding no. 8 nibs of Montegrappa, and also the Stipula fine is quite close to a Montegrappa medium.

The Montegrappa two-toned nibs have the reputation of being softer than the new ones. I only have a newest model on my Otto (stub), and I can confirm that this nib is distinctly stiffer than the stub of my Extra 1930 Black Bamboo, which is two-toned.

Edited by fpupulin

1930 Tortoise with gold trim. I'm admiring that Otto in Lapis!

Wow, aarvarkbark!

This is pure gold on gold... pure magnificence!

They are mostly different nibs, como, as I really like the variety of signs and uses that they enable.

In the chest, from the left, the nibs are medium, fine, medium, stub, extra-fine, stub, extra-fine, double broad, extra-fine flexible (vintage), fine-flexible (vintage), fine and fine/medium flexible (titanium nib).

I have not enough experience with the nibs by Stipula, as I just have one in gold and one in titanium. My gold Stipula nib is however much stiffer than the corresponding no. 8 nibs of Montegrappa, and also the Stipula fine is quite close to a Montegrappa medium.

The Montegrappa two-toned nibs have the reputation of being softer than the new ones. I only have a newest model on my Otto (stub), and I can confirm that this nib is distinctly stiffer than the stub of my Extra 1930 Black Bamboo, which is two-toned.

All these different types of nibs surely make writing exciting. I bet these vintage Omas nibs are wonderful. Mine MG Extras are both monotone nibs, which I find rather stiff. So it's good to know that two-tone nibs are softer. I once tried a titanium nib on an Omas, and honestly I didn't know what to think of it. It was neither scratchy nor smooth but it didn't have the smooth feeling that I associate with a beautiful Omas 18k broad. Perhaps I will give titanium a go on a lower risk pen again, and try a two tone size 8 nib. Thank you, fpupulin.

Because of its resemblance to some of the most elegant forms of black bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra), my Extra 1930 Black Bamboo is certainly the most "oriental" of my fountain pens. Here I have portrayed it with a delectable miniature orchid, Neofinetia falcata (or Vanda falcata), Fuuran in Japanese, a plant native of China and Japan whose flowers are powerfully scented at night.

fpn_1557611785__montegrappa_extra_1930_b

While the original Fine nib of this pen was excellent, the stub nib with which I replaced it is among my best nibs, if not the best ever. Elastic, flexible, flowing, juicy, it is everything you can expect from a high-end nib.

Curiously, this nib has a heart-shaped vent hole, which I've never seen on any other Extra pen by Montegrappa. Produced in Italy during the first age of the Aquila management, it is a nib no. 8 with a very elegant design, but I have no idea which other pen has ever been fitted as standard.

fpn_1557612564__montegrappa_extra_1930_b

Great photo's and pens being photographed here. I especially like aardvarkbark's tortoise with gold trim... beautiful.

Just got news that my new Montegrappa acquisition is in the post, another couple of weeks and I will get some photo's up. Can't wait, but in the meanwhile a few more snaps:

tWQWGMAh.jpg

mZTXE8hh.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Wow, aarvarkbark!

This is pure gold on gold... pure magnificence!

Great photo's and pens being photographed here. I especially like aardvarkbark's tortoise with gold trim... beautiful.

Thank you. It's my only Montegrappa and by far the most handsome in my collection. I happened upon it at a stationer who was going out of business and offering it at a substantial discount, which was the only way I could afford it. There was a little play in the blind cap/piston, and it had a medium nib though I write with an EF, but I was told warranty should cover the wonky piston and that Montegrappa offered a nib swap program. Sure enough, Kenro, the US distributor, arranged for it to be serviced and for an EF nib to be installed, all at no cost. They even returned the original M nib, which surprised me.

I had previously acquired several Omas Paragon celluloids due to their gorgeous looks, but also for their faceted body shape that just feels more secure in my hand. But they're too thin for my big paw. I was unaware of the Otto until I saw this thread, so I appreciate you starting it, CeeElle. I think it will offer the faceted shape that I enjoyed in the Paragon, but with a slightly beefier girth. And that lapis is a handsome celluloid.

The vibrancy of the celluloids made sometimes quite difficult to decide which pen to grab from the box.

And looking at my preferred colors within the box, I just realize how badly I want an Extra 1930 Black and White...

fpn_1557255808__my_celluloid_pens_fp.jpg

Great collection!

yes, my Miya is the turquoise, these celluloids (with also the red and the yellow) have an incredible depth and capability of capturing light.

It's really hard to show it in a photograph. Although basic photographs, with just the pen on a flat background, when I took the photos of the turquoise and the red Miyas I took time to position the pens so that they would catch most of the available light.

(the photo was taken in daylight with no artificial lighting but just a white screen to reflect some light on the pen and get rid of harsh shadows)

Thank you. It's my only Montegrappa and by far the most handsome in my collection. I happened upon it at a stationer who was going out of business and offering it at a substantial discount, which was the only way I could afford it. There was a little play in the blind cap/piston, and it had a medium nib though I write with an EF, but I was told warranty should cover the wonky piston and that Montegrappa offered a nib swap program. Sure enough, Kenro, the US distributor, arranged for it to be serviced and for an EF nib to be installed, all at no cost. They even returned the original M nib, which surprised me.

I had previously acquired several Omas Paragon celluloids due to their gorgeous looks, but also for their faceted body shape that just feels more secure in my hand. But they're too thin for my big paw. I was unaware of the Otto until I saw this thread, so I appreciate you starting it, CeeElle. I think it will offer the faceted shape that I enjoyed in the Paragon, but with a slightly beefier girth. And that lapis is a handsome celluloid.

aardvarkbark, thank you for sharing your story. I always wondered who bought such pens (the gold version), and now I know at least one :) . And it's a good story.

So happy that I brought it to your attention. For me, it is the perfect modern pen and the faceted body, whilst visually pleasing, also works incredibly well in the hand whilst writing too. I like it so much in fact, that I have another one on the way. Let's hope you manage to pick one up sometime soon too.

Here is another contribution of my Extra Otto on a Saturday morning next to my favourite scent; a really nice way to kick off a weekend. Both have such an elegant, refined and moody feel to them, I think they are a perfect match. Enjoy.

x3N7ur3h.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Great topic!

My photographic skills are surely not a match to some pen art shown here, but I happened to stumble upon a pic of a former member of my collection... The green marble one.

And what a nib :puddle:!!!

post-120883-0-09259200-1558541725_thumb.jpg

post-120883-0-33989300-1558541751_thumb.jpg

post-120883-0-60700600-1558541776_thumb.jpg

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

Great topic!

My photographic skills are surely not a match to some pen art shown here, but I happened to stumble upon a pic of a former member of my collection... The green marble one.

And what a nib :puddle:!!!

That was a beautiful pen!

I always had contrasting feelings about the marbled green celluloid. It obviously ages quite soon when used and exposed to the light, taking an amber cast here and there.

I have no idea if I could live with these changes, or if I would learn to appreciate and love them for what they ultimately are, traces of the real life written on the body of a pen...

Did you happen to buy another Extra 1930 in substitution of your marbled green?

That was a beautiful pen!

I always had contrasting feelings about the marbled green celluloid. It obviously ages quite soon when used and exposed to the light, taking an amber cast here and there.

I have no idea if I could live with these changes, or if I would learn to appreciate and love them for what they ultimately are, traces of the real life written on the body of a pen...

Did you happen to buy another Extra 1930 in substitution of your marbled green?

I might be wrong, but I believe that the change of colour occurs as a result of direct exposure to sunlight or direct contact with other material (as a rubber ink sack). So in that regard, I had no concerns.

The smaller issue that I had with it was that it's a tad too flashy to take to work for everyday use, while the real issue and only reason why I sold it was that the gorgeous medium nib wrote as a double broad.

I have many other very valuable pens, but this one never missed to make an impression on the experienced ones, as well as on the most profane to the fountain pen and luxury world.

I've had the chance to try out the Extra flex in the same colour, but it felt a bit too small for my hand, specially after being used to the Extra.

You can rest assured that I'll surely get one sooner or later, but I'm not in a hurry as usually they are readily available.

At the moment I am more focused on some models that are getting harder to find.

Take the Reminiscence series for example. Five years ago, I was able to gather the entire collection while spending 250-350 Euro per pen. Now that the interest in fountain pens is growing the value of the pens from this series has doubled, as it happened with many others. Even some regular models that are out of production are becoming harder to find. Take also the 300 series for example.

Sorry, I better not get off topic too much...

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

I might be wrong, but I believe that the change of colour occurs as a result of direct exposure to sunlight or direct contact with other material (as a rubber ink sack). So in that regard, I had no concerns.

The smaller issue that I had with it was that it's a tad too flashy to take to work for everyday use, while the real issue and only reason why I sold it was that the gorgeous medium nib wrote as a double broad.

I have many other very valuable pens, but this one never missed to make an impression on the experienced ones, as well as on the most profane to the fountain pen and luxury world.

I've had the chance to try out the Extra flex in the same colour, but it felt a bit too small for my hand, specially after being used to the Extra.

You can rest assured that I'll surely get one sooner or later, but I'm not in a hurry as usually they are readily available.

At the moment I am more focused on some models that are getting harder to find.

Take the Reminiscence series for example. Five years ago, I was able to gather the entire collection while spending 250-350 Euro per pen. Now that the interest in fountain pens is growing the value of the pens from this series has doubled, as it happened with many others. Even some regular models that are out of production are becoming harder to find. Take also the 300 series for example.

Sorry, I better not get off topic too much...

Thank you for your kind answer.

I agree with you about the ever-increasing price of once-less-sought-after pens. The good side of the story is that the noticeably increased interest in fountain pens will maintain the producers more and more creative, for the benefit of us all.

And, by the way, the marbled green Montegrappa Extra is one of the most difficult models to find. If I am not wrong, they offered the marbled green only in 2000–2004, when they first introduced the Turtle. The turtle was (and still is) such a gorgeous and perfect material that I guess most of the buyers inclined themselves towards this model rather than the marbled green, which is now considerably rarer.

Edited by fpupulin

Thank you for your kind answer.

I agree with you about the ever-increasing price of once-less-sought-after pens. The good side of the story is that the noticeably increased interest in fountain pens will maintain the producers more and more creative, for the benefit of us all.

And, by the way, the marbled green Montegrappa Extra is one of the most difficult models to find. If I am not wrong, they offered the marbled green only in 2000–2004, when they first introduced the Turtle. The turtle was (and still is) such a gorgeous and perfect material that I guess most of the buyers inclined themselves towards this model rather than the marbled green, which is now considerably rarer.

Initially there was an issue with the insufficient ink capacity of the Extra MK1 series.

Despite the unquestionable beauty, top notch materials, size, proportions etc., because of this the series initially suffered something as a short period of unpopularity among the collectors community.

Please don't take this too seriously, some pens had been sent back to the producer for repairs, but it surely had some impact. Surely less on the brand name, but perhaps something more on Extra series.

When I acquired mine, I clearly remember the relief I felt when I realised that I had been lucky to get the MK2 version with the ink capacity issue solved (by generously increasing the piston filler capacity).

This being said, I wouldn't mind the first series at all ;)!