• fpupulin

• como

• francoiacc

• Ceelo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the light of the down...

fpn_1556751500__light_of_the_down_on_the

These are all beautiful pens, but your photography is stellar! I am in awe of both.

David

some great pens and photos!

(and I also love Franco's spreadsheet!)

my Classica here (quick documentary photo, no attempt to be artistic... :) )

fpn_1556963709__p1160721-3_montegrappa_c

and this is the Miya Argento Rossa

fpn_1556964444__p1160519-3_montegrappa_m

sansenri: These are very vibrant colours that you shared, beautiful! Somehow I quite like the "hump" leading towards the section on Miya model. Is the pen comfortable to hold? Thanks.

Regards,

como

Has anyone had one custom made from the site? Loving the celluloid, but not sure of metal section

The hump on the Miya is unusual but not uncomfortable, it falls in a place where the extra width does not bother (me at least).

The section is metal, but it's silver ... which in a way is not as slippery as steel would be, also being silver it sorts of warms up quickly.

I usually don't love metal sections myself, but all the Montegrappa are an exception for me.

I found the Miya Argento even more conformable than the standard Miya because of the pattern on the section that makes it not slippery at all. The hump of the Miya is its distinctive sign, that, to my eyes, makes this model one of the most interesting in the Extra family.

I have not seen a Miya Azzurra in this thread yet, so here is mine

fpn_1556963988__p1160717-3_montegrappa_m

Is it the so-called "turquoise"? The three-dimensional effect off this celluloid is sensational!

I agree, the "hump" made the traditional Miyas (both the original and the Argento or Silver) absolutely distinctive and unique. As your photos show, they also had quite a "vibrant" selection of colors, truly beautiful.

My daughter, Margherita, is particularly fond on Miyas, of which she has three: a Red, a Yellow, and a Silver Turquoise.

I also like the new incarnation of this model, the Carbon, even though the pen lost its typical hump. But I really like all the four colors available in the Miya Carbon (yellow, orange, red, and charcoal).

I found the Miya Argento even more conformable than the standard Miya because of the pattern on the section that makes it not slippery at all. The hump of the Miya is its distinctive sign, that, to my eyes, makes this model one of the most interesting in the Extra family.

Your Miya Argento in blue, posted in the previous page, is beautiful: a great color for a great pen. Congratulations!

Edited by fpupulin

And again the extraordinary Turtle celluloid of one of my Extra 1930s, here photographed with the humble Central American orchid flower of an Encyclia alata grown at the Lankester Botanical Garden:

fpn_1557008603__montegrappa_extra_1930_t

The hump on the Miya is unusual but not uncomfortable, it falls in a place where the extra width does not bother (me at least).

The section is metal, but it's silver ... which in a way is not as slippery as steel would be, also being silver it sorts of warms up quickly.

I usually don't love metal sections myself, but all the Montegrappa are an exception for me.

Thank you both for confirming that the Miya model is comfortable to hold. I am not a fan of metal section either and I also agree that Montegrappa silver section is an exception, probably because the section is short, the step-down is gentle, and the material itself is less slippery. The chrome/platinum/rhodium plated metal sections feel much harder and more slippery. The "hump" is cool :D

Thank you both for confirming that the Miya model is comfortable to hold. I am not a fan of metal section either and I also agree that Montegrappa silver section is an exception, probably because the section is short, the step-down is gentle, and the material itself is less slippery. The chrome/platinum/rhodium plated metal sections feel much harder and more slippery. The "hump" is cool :D

The Miya is indeed comfortable to hold, although it does feel quite different to the Extra and other pens with a straight/lightly tapered section. You'll notice it has a 2-stage section where it tapers quite sharply and then straightens. It makes it feel a lot stubbier in my hand at least.

I totally agree with you re MG metal sections. All of mine are somehow very nice and comfortable to hold, even the little Micra, and I think it's the sterling silver plus the balance of the pen. I was playing with an Omas new Paragon with a metal section before and my fingers were slipping all over it. Gonna move it on I think.

The Miya is indeed comfortable to hold, although it does feel quite different to the Extra and other pens with a straight/lightly tapered section. You'll notice it has a 2-stage section where it tapers quite sharply and then straightens. It makes it feel a lot stubbier in my hand at least.

I totally agree with you re MG metal sections. All of mine are somehow very nice and comfortable to hold, even the little Micra, and I think it's the sterling silver plus the balance of the pen. I was playing with an Omas new Paragon with a metal section before and my fingers were slipping all over it. Gonna move it on I think.

Thank you, aggoo. I also have an Omas Paragon new style with a long metal section, much less comfortable with longer writing session, and worse when fingers get sweaty. I put up with it because it's really beautiful (mine is the ART Vision blue demo version). I have seen the Omas new Paragon with sterling silver section and wonder if they are better than the glossy plated metal section. MG silver section is no problem at all.

Let me share the vibrancy of my Extra Rossa:

The Red of the Montegrappa celluloid is truly amazing with the depth and the nuances in the color, I really love it. I also saw the Cinnamon celluloid in several pictures online and it looks to me a bit darker than the red and to my eyes it makes this material even more unique!

Edited by francoiacc

The Red of the Montegrappa celluloid is truly amazing with the depth and the nuances in the color, I really love it. I also saw the Cinnamon celluloid in several pictures online and it looks to me a bit darker than the red and to my eyes it makes this material even more unique!

The cinnamon has a kind of “swirl” pattern that reminds that of the old pens in ebonite and hardened rubber. In person, however, it lacks that remarkable “deepness“ that is characteristic of most Montegrappa’s materials.

Montegrappa has used the interesting Cinnamon celluloid quite sparingly, and recently reintroduced it in the “Nazionale” series.

The vibrancy of the celluloids made sometimes quite difficult to decide which pen to grab from the box.

And looking at my preferred colors within the box, I just realize how badly I want an Extra 1930 Black and White...

fpn_1557255808__my_celluloid_pens_fp.jpg

:yikes: I wish I had your same issue: which one to pick up from the top floor of this chest of drawers with who know what other beauties.