Help Me Pick An Ink For A Love Letter

3nding

Really? L'amant, obviously.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeverTapOut

• ParkerDuofold

• OMASsimo

• 1nkulus

This is proving to be a rather fascinating discussion.

There again, I'm not the only one who spend 5 minutes wondering what pens to take in my pen case, before heading out the door, am I?

Wallet, keys, phone - Platinum or Sailor? I'm marking to day - so I need a quick drying ink - so the Parker 51 then, it's got Quink. So, I can one with purple ink too...? Not the Townsend - it needs a fill - so the Platinum then, no the other Platinum...

This is proving to be a rather fascinating discussion.

There again, I'm not the only one who spend 5 minutes wondering what pens to take in my pen case, before heading out the door, am I?

No, you're not.... :rolleyes: Yesterday I had three pens with me (just in case). And that was *separate* from a fourth pen which I used for my morning journal entry.....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a while because I was very satisfied with my current ink and pen setup and was a bit afraid of spending too much money on things I don't really need if I kept coming back here (as we all though). However, last weekend, I met this amazing, amazing girl who was visiting here and we basically spent the whole weekend together. Now she went back to the city where she lives and we decided to keep in touch even though she said she isn't very good at long distance relationship. Anyway, long story short, we have been talking over Messenger but I wanted to do something a bit more romantic and write her a letter.

I am currently trying to pick the proper ink to do the trick. 99% of the time when I write, I use Noodler's Black but I didn't know if black was a bit too cold and informal for a love letter? On my shelf, in terms of non-blacks, I only have J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage, Sheaffer Skrip Blue and Pelikan Royal Blue. Would any of those do the trick? Should I buy something else? Or should I just stick with my proven friend, Noodler's Black?

Thank you all very much in advance!

Well if it helps, traditionally personal correspondence is written in Blue. Of course I use blue for everything, so I'm biased. Maybe something in a turquoise/teal?

Totally forgot to mention: I'd try also to use a top quality letter paper to make it even more special. Attention to detail usually is appreciated.

That might be more important. Especially if she won't take special notice of the ink if she's not a pen and ink fan. Everyone notices a classy piece of paper though. Even when I get junk mail- right before I paper airplane that trash right into the garbage I think "wow, these guys must have quite the stationery budget."

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a while because I was very satisfied with my current ink and pen setup and was a bit afraid of spending too much money on things I don't really need if I kept coming back here (as we all though). However, last weekend, I met this amazing, amazing girl who was visiting here and we basically spent the whole weekend together. Now she went back to the city where she lives and we decided to keep in touch even though she said she isn't very good at long distance relationship. Anyway, long story short, we have been talking over Messenger but I wanted to do something a bit more romantic and write her a letter.

I am currently trying to pick the proper ink to do the trick. 99% of the time when I write, I use Noodler's Black but I didn't know if black was a bit too cold and informal for a love letter? On my shelf, in terms of non-blacks, I only have J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage, Sheaffer Skrip Blue and Pelikan Royal Blue. Would any of those do the trick? Should I buy something else? Or should I just stick with my proven friend, Noodler's Black?

Thank you all very much in advance!

3nding,

Some questions to ponder...Did she say she is not good at long distance relationships while to were together or while on messenger? Has her feeling regarding long distance relationships changed? Do either of you have the financial means to see each other again? If you profess love will it be reciprocated? I know this is not an answer to the question you asked...J.Herbin Poussiere de Lune...dusky and not over the top. Also...matching stationary...not a normal white business envelope. Do you pronounce love in your first real formal correspondence? It's almost like saying "I love you" on a first date. Your going 0 to 100...leave them wanting more...you need to crescendo...swoon them...

Respectfully,

David

Edited by Jesus1

If she wants you, any ink will do; or even a pencil, or even … whatever.

If she doesn't want you, not even the most beautiful ink in the world will make her change her mind.

But she said she isn't very good at long distance relationships, didn't she? Well, would a girl that's in love ever say such a thing?

Italix Captain's Commission F – Italix Parson's Essential F – Kaweco Dia2 EF – Pilot Custom 74 SF – Sailor 1911 Simply Black F – TWSBI Classic EF – Rotring Altro F

“As for the qualities of which you may know, ‘These qualities lead to dispassion, not to passion; to being unfettered, not to being fettered; to shedding, not to accumulating; to modesty, not to self-aggrandizement; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to entanglement; to aroused persistence, not to laziness; to being unburdensome, not to being burdensome’: You may definitely hold, ‘This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher’s instruction.’”

Perhaps off topic, but my wife and I had a long-distance relationship (450 miles apart) for about four months. We talked daily and wrote frequently (this was 1987). We saw each other once a month until I proposed and then moved to where she lived. We've been married over 30 years. I will admit that this was before I got into fountain pens. The manner of communication mattered far less than the effort to regularly communicate.

Perhaps off topic, but my wife and I had a long-distance relationship (450 miles apart) for about four months. We talked daily and wrote frequently (this was 1987). We saw each other once a month until I proposed and then moved to where she lived. We've been married over 30 years. I will admit that this was before I got into fountain pens. The manner of communication mattered far less than the effort to regularly communicate.

Yes, however the female in this situation has stated "that she does not do well in long distance relationships"...

Respectfully,

David

I believe one would do better not to prive into the OP business, unless otherwise invited to.

That being said...

It is important to read between the lines. Sometimes people say things which are not exactly what they want to say. For instance, there may be a (romantic) interest for the OP, but a past experience in long-distance relationships may have led her to say that sentence.

Or...

She may simply have said so because of other 1001 reasons. Who knows?

Best not to delve dwell into it. Things will flow if they are meant to.

Best wishes for the OP. If I were was writing the letter, I would use some nice paper plus a purple/violet style colour (something lighter than my purply blue Parker Blue Quink. I liked the look of Diamine Violet).

Edited by Iur

Quite a wub.png master class running here.

With all the replies so far, this endeavor better work. biggrin.png

It would be beneficial if you could find her favourite colour as you are in touch via messenger and then get it in Diamine.

Get decent paper to go with it, A5 rather than A4.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I believe one would do better not to prive into the OP business, unless otherwise invited to.

That being said...

It is important to read between the lines. Sometimes people say things which are not exactly what they want to say. For instance, there may be a (romantic) interest for the OP, but a past experience in long-distance relationships may have led her to say that sentence.

Or...

She may simply have said so because of other 1001 reasons. Who knows?

Best not to delve into it. Things will flow if they are meant to.

Best wishes for the OP. If I were writing the letter, I would use some nice paper plus a purple/violet style colour (something lighter than my purply blue Parker Blue Quink. I liked the look of Diamine Violet).

Lur...I can see your point and I concur. I only mentioned it because it was said in the original post...however you are correct all facts are not given and who really knows.

Respectfully,

David

Ask her what are her favourite colours,

LOL, most women I knew/know (excluding my lovely fiancée!) expect one to either somehow already 'know' — through a level of keen observation (or research!) and attention to details that are often attributed to mentalists and stalkers — what their 'favourite' colours, flowers and foods are, or be excusably 'slow' in such things and therefore isn't 'The One'.

(I just ran this past my fiancée and she agrees, haha!)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

De Atramentis Aubergine

That color makes me use the word LOVE-ly to describe it. It's Deep and Bold... the best kind of LOVE-ly.

LOL, most women I knew/know (excluding my lovely fiancée!) expect one to either somehow already 'know' — through a level of keen observation (or research!) and attention to details that are often attributed to mentalists and stalkers — what their 'favourite' colours, flowers and foods are, or be excusably 'slow' in such things and therefore isn't 'The One'.

(I just ran this past my fiancée and she agrees, haha!)

You obviosly know the wrong women. :happy: