Sheaffer Doctor's Pen Set

eharriett

Hi all! I wanted to share with you my latest find! It was on eBay. I recognized it immediately, although I had never seen one before. I noticed a little bit of damage, but thought it would be worthy of restoration and some love. I made a reasonable offer to the seller and here it is!!

y1pZewX.jpg

Tried to find out a little about this pen, but it seems to be a bit of an oddity. Not even FPN searches came up with much. The only thread on it I could find was this one. And their pen is decidedly different than mine.

For one thing, this is a fully open nib

vU2gNXp.jpg

Took it apart as soon as it came. It disassembled with no fuss whatsoever (the discoloration on the nib is from sac shellac residue. Already got it off once, it will be pure white again soon). The sac is definitely original, but much to my surprise still had flex and give to it. Oddly, the o-ring was in worse shape than the sac, which was a new one to me. But they were replaced.

The only downer on this pen set has to do with the thermometer. A bit of the cap is broken off, and of course, the thermometer is missing. Maybe one day with a little research I can find out what the original is supposed to be and get one to put in it.

Ys3kkX6.jpg

The pen is Canadian. Says it on the nib as well as the 14k identifier

LuGQQEH.jpg

And the thing I did NOT realize when I bought it: This is a TIP DIP!!!! Nib comes out and I can replace it with another one a la Esterbrooks. But writes beautifully. Very, very wet.

V0BLrOu.jpg

I'm not sure the seller realized the bottom came off. I frankly was hoping I'd find the thermometer down there, but no luck. However, it did have the original instruction slip in pristine condition -- as if it was never opened before. AAAAAND the original pen case, which has no imprint on it at all -- it has never held the pen a day in its life!!

6rJ931f.jpg

And lastly, just because the other one brings me so much enjoyment, I wanted to photograph it next to my other beloved Doctor pen set. My beautiful, prized Waterman 100 year. This too, shall be much prized.

oFwmPMg.jpg

Feel free to make some modeling requests :D

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• Bobby Check

• joss

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very nice find!

Does the mirror inside the box and the fancy pen pouch suggest that this is a "Lady Doctor" or "Lady Nurse" pen set?

Edited by joss

Enjoyed the post and photos, thanks!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Does the mirror inside the box and the fancy pen pouch suggest that this is a "Lady Doctor" or "Lady Nurse" pen set?

I had similar thoughts, but I have not seen any nurse sets with thermometers.

• 4 months later...

I purchased a similar set that still has the manufacturer’s marks on it, which stated “CADET”.

The markings on my nib are “Sheaffer’s”, “23” and “14K”.

Beautiful and rare set.

Congratulations,

Bobby

Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: <A href="http://www.calgarypenclub.com/" target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

Perhaps it's for holding under the nose of a patient to make sure it's still worth using the thermometer ;)

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Perhaps it's for holding under the nose of a patient to make sure it's still worth using the thermometer ;)

When I first started in insurance and I worked at an agency, they said that was pretty much the criteria for employment. I wonder if they used a set like this to satisfy the prerequisites :P