Anyone Know If A Fpr 6.3Mm Ebonite Feed Fits Into A Jinhao X750?

Enkida

I have a Jinhao x750 that I put the Zebra G modification in, and while I really enjoy drawing with it, the Jinhao feed can't keep up with the flexing. I've read (even on the FPR website) that people have successfully put in FPR's number 6 flex nibs into Jinhao x450 and x750s before, but since I'm quite happy with the Zebra G nib, I'm only interested in knowing if the *ebonite feed* fits into these pens.

Has anyone ever tried before?

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• Enkida

• k3eax

• JollyCynic

I haven't tried it because I haven't found a good (meaning cheap shipping) source of the nibs in the UK, yet. But I believe the FPR feed is round and the Jinhao section has a flat portion to key the feed's orientation. As the FPR feed isn't notched, it'd need modification for use in a Jinhao pen, even if the size were good.

Thanks for the answer! I mailed Kevin and asked directly, and his words were that the no. 6 nibs "didn't fit well" and that the ebonite feeds didn't fit "at all" so that would be a no.

I'm still going to give the no. 6 nibs a try though, because I understand a shopkeeper's plausible deniability clauses, I can't imagine anything being harder to fit on a Jinhao than a Zebra G - and I managed that pretty well and am happy with the (nib) results. But the ebonite feeds are a no-go, unfortunately!

Edited by Enkida

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

My understanding is that a 6.3mm feed fits a #5 nib, and that a 7.xx will fit a #6. I'l try to find a reference later in the day.

edit to add; Noodler's ebonite feed will fit.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Looked but unable to find the reference. Perhaps it was just my imagination.

I have had various #6 nibs on my Noodler's Konrad. It should fit your Jinhao if the FPR does not.

A tutorial on adjusting the flow of an ebonite feed:

http://www.ateliernovotny.com/2016/06/21/tutorial-how-to-adjust-ebonite-feeds-on-fountain-pens/

I would suggest that you try widening/deepening your 750's the ink-channel. This will increase the volume of ink flowing.This approach is certainly more convenient and less expensicve that trying to fit a nib from a different manuafacture which my not work. Also, should you wish to repace the 750's nib, they are extremely inexpenive.

I would suggest that you try widening/deepening your 750's the ink-channel. This will increase the volume of ink flowing.This approach is certainly more convenient and less expensicve that trying to fit a nib from a different manuafacture which my not work. Also, should you wish to repace the 750's nib, they are extremely inexpenive.

The replacement Zebra G nib is a flex dip nib. Mounting it on a fountain pen because more ink supply. Modified plastic 750 feed might possibly maybe perhaps keep up with the ink demand. Occasionally. A wetter modified ebonite feed will. Mostly.

Much less costly that buying a $85 Desiderata Daedalus. On the other hand a Ranga ED can be had for $30 +/-, takes a #6 nib, comes with an ebonite feed, and will hold 3ml of ink. At twice the cost +/- of an X750/Zebra G/Ebonite feed.

Edited by Karmachanic

Well other than that, I use the Zebra G for drawing, so I get the feeling most modern flex pens will not make a line fine enough for my tastes because they're made for writing.

That didn't stop me from ordering two flex Himalayas from FPR during their easter sale, haha, but I'm looking for a way to make the zebra G mod have less ink starvation without having to shell out 200+ for the special order pens made to fit zebra G's, since I'm only a hobby artist.

There are some good tips here to that end, so thank you all for the help :)

Edit: on FPR, they sell nibs and feeds bundled, and the no. 6 nibs come with the 6.3 ebonite feeds. They also sell 5.5 nibs, and those can come bundled with their smaller ebonite feeds. I would guess they wouldn't bundle the no. 6 nibs with feeds they didn't fit into, so that's where my assumption that the 6.3 ebonite feeds would fit 6 nibs comes from.

Edited by Enkida

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

I haven't tried fitting the FPR ebonite feed into my Jinhao pens, but did something similar with their #5 feed and a TWSBI Eco (which do had the advantage of being transparent, so I could see what happened). An air bubble formed in the tiny channel between the grip section /bottom of the feed, and the ink chamber of the pen. Actuating the piston mechanism to force ink through the channel provided a short term fix - but the air bubble kept returning to block ink flow.

I can't tell you if you'll have the same problem with a Jinhao x450 - but it's possible. The ebonite feed lacks the "tail" you find at the rear of a plastic feed, which protrudes down through aforementioned air channel to facilitate flow.

One more thing: FPR nibs have a more squared off base than JoWo or Bock nibs, which makes them a very tight fit in some JoWo or Bock nib assemblies, and a very poor (of not impossible) fit on others. It will probably require some modification before fitting well - which means a bit of extra work!

Sorry I can't illustrate - I'm in a different city from my pens and paraphernalia at the moment!

Edited by Jamerelbe

The Lamy Feed / Fude Nib mod tutorial on that website explains it pretty adequately (and it looks like Lamy feeds have that tail you mention) - now I'm very tempted to get a Lamy and attempt to make a fude drawing pen out of it. I just may do it, I have those pritt glue squares in my house right now! Thank you :-)

... actually I am going to try it right this minute on my Lamy NEXX and one of the gazillions of spare medium nibs I have floating around right now! Double thank you!

Edited by Enkida

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Piccies when you're done please. And of the resultant artwork too!

Sure! It worked on the first try, though I did smooth the reverse side of the nib with a really fine nail file since it was a little grabby. The feed modified this way is a real gusher. If you could find a way to custom grind some flex into a Lamy nib, this is definitely the way to make a feed that could keep it supplied well with ink, that's for sure. It makes Lamy Blue look good and sheen red!

fude1.jpg

fude2.jpg

fude4.jpg

nexx-draggy.jpg

Edited by Enkida

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• 2 years later...

Hi. The #6 FPR Ebonite feed doesn't fit the Jinhao X750 but the #6 FPR Ultra-Flex will fit it with the Jinhao's feed but it's very tight, one may insert under a tub of water or running water to help with lubrication. The Ebonite feed #6 fits FPR's Jaipur Ver. 2 and Trevina fountain pens only without any modifications, the pens it's originally designed for (though not a fan of some FPR FP finishes).

I wish fountain pen companies would form a consortium so that the sizes would be consistent, if it says' #6 or #5.5 it would fit any #6 or #5.5 fountain pen regardless of brand, just like any bulb would fit  any socket from any brand with the same socket type.

God bless, Revelation 21:4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 11:13 PM, Alvin777 said:

I wish fountain pen companies would form a consortium so that the sizes would be consistent, if it says' #6 or #5.5 it would fit any #6 or #5.5 fountain pen regardless of brand, just like any bulb would fit  any socket from any brand with the same socket type.

You mean they don't? ☹️

Bummer. I wanted to get some Number 6 Flex or stub nibs for my Jinhao X450's and a Flex or 1 ~ 1.5  number 5 stub nib for my Jinhao 51A.

Kevin at FPR told me that the FPR feed doesn't fit the Jinhaos. But, the FPR #6 ultra flex NIB does fit in the Jinhao 750 (using the original Jinhao feed.) At least, it worked beautifully for me in two Jinhao 750s. They are wonderful flex pens now. I am using Aurora Black ink in one of them, and Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel in the other.  I think I read somewhere though (or Kevin told me, can't remember) that the nib doesn't work in the Jinhao 450.

Pam

https://anartfulmom.com