First Ebonite Fountain Pen

AnuragTukan

Hey

I would really like to buy an ebonite pen, but my budget is really low. Say around 700-1000INR.

Is it possible to get one in that range?

And if yes, which one and from where?

Anurag

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• AnuragTukan

• Simius

• sarvesh

Hey

I would really like to buy an ebonite pen, but my budget is really low. Say around 700-1000INR.

Is it possible to get one in that range?

And if yes, which one and from where?

Anurag

Contact Abhay pen agencies on whats app 09225328858

They manufacture Mohi brand FPs in ebonite. Cost 300 to 400/- plus 100/- shipping by speed post.

Another Option is Wality 69EB, I dont know present mrp but it cant be more than 1000/-

Else contact ASA pens to ask what they have in your budget.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi Hari

Where to get Wality Pens? I am @ Delhi and during my initial search I am not able to get it from any shop. Pls guide …...

I don't know the dealer in Delhi for Wality. ASA should be able to source you any Wality you need, provided there are stocks with the distributor. Walitys are high demand pens and stocks are usually limited and run out quickly.

ETA: ASA has them in stock at the moment:

http://asapens.in/eshop/fountain-pen/wality-fountain-pen/wality-69eb-rippled-ebonite-eye-dropper-fountain-pen-indian-online

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Contact Abhay pen agencies on whats app 09225328858

They manufacture Mohi brand FPs in ebonite. Cost 300 to 400/- plus 100/- shipping by speed post.

Another Option is Wality 69EB, I dont know present mrp but it cant be more than 1000/-

Else contact ASA pens to ask what they have in your budget.

Thank you so much for the contact.

How are your views on the Mohi pens?

Should I get one or should I get a Wality 69EB?

Thank you so much for the contact.

How are your views on the Mohi pens?

Should I get one or should I get a Wality 69EB?

Mohi has an ink view window and its section is also made from ebonite. So thats a plus over WALITY 69EB. Both take nearly same amount of turns to uncap. 1-3/4 on mohi and roughly 2 turns on WALITY.

Both come with F nibs so same.

I suggest you start with the rear ink window mohi for 400 plus shipping. It has a larger 35mm F nib for which you can find aftermarket replacements if you dont like the stock nib.

Mohi has an ink view window and its section is also made from ebonite. So thats a plus over WALITY 69EB. Both take nearly same amount of turns to uncap. 1-3/4 on mohi and roughly 2 turns on WALITY.

I suggest you start with the rear ink window mohi for 400 plus shipping. It has a larger 35mm F nib for which you can find aftermarket replacements if you dont like the stock nib.

Thank you so much, Hari.

I'm going to order the Mohi soon.

Cheers

Anurag

One last question.

Where can I buy spare nibs of decent quality?

In small quantities that is.

Is there a way to buy nibs from ambitious nibs or kanwrite or somewhere in single units?

One last question.

Where can I buy spare nibs of decent quality?

In small quantities that is.

Is there a way to buy nibs from ambitious nibs or kanwrite or somewhere in single units?

Cheapest is to locate a local source. Pen hospital ?

Kanwrite will sell you single pieces if you whatsapp them.

For ambitious you may need a minimum order qty. you can enquire for small quantities with re-sellers like asa. Asa is also agent for jowo nibs. He might be able to sell you Schmidt and bock too. But pls note the imported nibs are costlier than the mohi you are planning.

Jinhao, Baoer might be cheaper nib alternatives with acceptable performance, just buy the cheap pens and pull out the nibs or ask asa.

Edited by hari317

Cheapest is to locate a local source. Pen hospital ?

Kanwrite will sell you single pieces if you whatsapp them.

For ambitious you may need a minimum order qty. you can enquire for small quantities with re-sellers like asa. Asa is also agent for jowo nibs. He might be able to sell you Schmidt and bock too. But pls note the imported nibs are costlier than the mohi you are planning.

Jinhao, Baoer might be cheaper nib alternatives with acceptable performance, just buy the cheap pens and pull out the nibs or ask asa.

Thanks a lot.

You've been really helpful, FPN is amazing.

Yes I'm not even thinking about German nibs 😂

Faaar away from my budget. I'll make do with what I can pull off of broken pens I guess.

Pen Hospital doesn't want to sell spares unless one buys something substantial from him.

Anurag

It may so happen that you wont need a spare nib at all. The nib on my mohi large was pretty smooth but I like BB so I had to do some tinkering.

It may so happen that you wont need a spare nib at all. The nib on my mohi large was pretty smooth but I like BB so I had to do some tinkering.

Would you suggest ratnamson pens?

Specifically the ratnamson small?

Would you suggest ratnamson pens?

Specifically the ratnamson small?

Ratnamson pens USP is handmade gold nibs. If you want to buy a steel nib Ratnamson, I recommend supreme. It might be outside your stated budget.

Then there is also Guider who might have something in ebonite within your budget.

If you walk into Deccan or JK pen stores in Hyderabad again you might find something within your stated budget.

Edited by hari317

• 3 weeks later...

The 700-1000 range often serves as an indicator of whether or not you'll like ebonite pens. One thing to note is that Indian makers don't really have the best finishing on ebonite. Oftentimes the polishing is irregular, with some parts being brightly polished and others, not so much. You may also get some lathe marks on the pen.

Keeping that aside, here's what I recommend:

1) Any pen from JK Pens (except solid black ebonite, since its somewhat lower on the polishing). You would require someone to get it for you , since they don't have an online presence.

2) ASA I Can

Both pens are eyedropper filled, and can take replacement #6 nibs. The Mohi that Hari sir suggested above, is also a good pen but it kinda small for me.

• 1 year later...

I haven't posted on this forum for a long time, and no better topic to post than Deccan pens.

I'd gone to Hyderabad with my family on vacation last December. I did manage to stop by Deccan Pens - not the Abids store, the other one. It was after a long time that I'd been to Hyderabad, and I was amazed to see how much the city had changed.

The folks at Deccan Pens were very friendly and courteous as usual. Their stock was a bit low, but I did manage to get a Deccan Advocate flat top. It writes wonderfully well like all my Deccan pens (2 Advocates, 2 Authors).

I can't speak highly enough of them. If your travels take you to Hyderabad, you will not be disappointed if you visit one of their stores.

As I'm not from India I can't speak to where to find them, but I will say that the suggestions made thus far are very good ones. In my opinion, nothing compares to ebonite as a pen material, and India makes some of the best ones, not to mention the most economical. just be aware the ebonite pens are habit forming, at least they were in my case!

Indeed, and there's a profusion of choices from makers in India.

I have several ebonite pens from Deccan, Gama, Ranga, Fosfor, and a Mumbai maker whose name escapes me. All finished to a very high standard, and all vying for attention along with the far more expensive pens from Japan.

Comparisons are misleading. Having said that, I gravitate to my Deccan and Fosfor ebonite pens more than Danitrio or Nakaya. (The Piliot 845 though, is a fave.)

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, and there's a profusion of choices from makers in India.

I have several ebonite pens from Deccan, Gama, Ranga, Fosfor, and a Mumbai maker whose name escapes me. All finished to a very high standard, and all vying for attention along with the far more expensive pens from Japan.

Comparisons are misleading. Having said that, I gravitate to my Deccan and Fosfor ebonite pens more than Danitrio or Nakaya. (The Piliot 845 though, is a fave.)

Bad form to follow up on my own post, I know, but... The name in Mumbai I was trying to remember is Lotus Pens. I have two, both are excellent.

Edited by Simius