Pilot Custom Urushi Black Fm Nib Review - First Impressions Of 'the Big One'

Betweenthelines

The Big One (of Pilot's Custom line, at least) arrived today. In my photos I'll be comparing it to the Custom 823 (fine) just so you can see how big this pen really is. Who knew the 823 could look so small!

ZI3nXbQ.jpg

3n27hlV.jpg

This is just a quick 'from the hip' first impressions review, so take it with a grain of salt as opinions can (and will) change over time with long term use of a pen:

Appearance and Design: 7/10

It's a nice looking pen, albeit a bit boring. I like the more modern looking flat ends compared to the cigar of the 823. Lines and letters are very clean and the deep black of the urushi looks nice contrasted to the gold. Visually it's impossible to tell that this is different than a plastic pen, feeling it it has the slick smoothness of urushi, but again, would be hard to notice a difference for the average pen user unless you have previous experience with urushi. I really like the ring on the top of the cap finial. Nib of course is beautiful. Overall it's a classy looking pen, and again, while boring compared to other pens at this price range (Italian pens, tamenuri urushi and Maki-e pens, etc.) it in my opinion is a little more interesting than the typical cigar black/gold pens like the MB149 and Sailor 1911's. The cap does look a little overly bulbous compared to the body of the pen. It of course is identical looking to the 845 so nothing too revolutionary here. Annoying that the section is plastic (just like with the ebonite KOP).

pPVgZDG.jpg

Construction and Quality: 8/10

Like all Pilot pens I've used, QC is absolutely on point and puts Italy and Germany to shame (for the most part). Yes, a pen CAN arrive with the tines aligned and the flow set to a perfect wet but not-too-wet level (more on that below with the nib). Feels very well made and high quality in the hand, and looks it too. In the hand, though, it does still just feel like a plastic pen, and feels very different from a 100% ebonite/urushi pen like a Nakaya or Danitrio. Not sure if it's because of the plastic section, or because of the thickness of the ebonite they used for this barrel, but there it is.

Weight and Dimensions: 8/10

This is obviously a huge pen. Only buy this pen if you want a huge pen. I wanted a huge pen. I like my huge pen. I have big hands with long fingers so it's hard to find a pen that fits me well. I REALLY like the girth of this pen and I finally have a section I can actually use (as opposed to holding the pen at the threads). It's very comfortable and very well balanced (right at the center of the pen). It is actually very LIGHT when not posted (don't think anyone will post this pen), which is actually a little bit of a detractor for me. It feels like it could use a little more heft for its size, but because it is a C/C pen with a big empty barrel it lacks the heft provided by other filling systems and larger quantities of inks. It also feels like it might be a little -too- girthy, but that may just be my adjustment period coming from being used to cramming my fingers around thinner pens. I wanted a girthier 823 and in many ways I got it, minus the filling system.

Nib and Performance: 11/10

This is the reason to buy this pen. The #30 nib is magnificent. It is soft and springy with some vintage-like response instead of 'mush' found in other soft nibs. Yes on the surface it looks like any old Pilot nib, but trust me, it feels -very- different. In addition to the wonderful soft springy deliciousness of it, out of the box it was tuned to perfection. Almost every Pilot nib I've owned needed tuning for increased wetness, and many needed a few figure 8's on micromesh to reduce feedback, but this one writes nice and wet right out of box. Not Visconti or Pelikan wet, but that sweet spot of juicy but still dry enough to show off shading and lighter tones. Makes me very happy because that sweet spot is often hard to obtain. It still has some feedback to the nib (it isn't buttery or glassy like a Pelikan nib), but it's pleasant and doesn't 'drag' like some dry Pilot nibs have for me. I may still end up doing a few strokes on the micromesh, but honestly I'd still be very happy without ever bothering. I really like the line width of the FM nib, as you can see (hopefully) below it's definitely broader than the fine nib on my 823, which as it is is on the broader side because I increased the flow of my 823 to be around a 8/10, but not so broad that I can't use it for daily writing at work.

5abg6av.jpg

ONSgpwv.jpg

cwVmpBL.jpg

Filling System and Maintenance: 7/10

It fills with the Con-70, which could be worse. At least the Con-70 has a decent ink capacity. Would have preferred ED or Piston. Years later and I still struggle with filling the Con-70. I don't know how you people get a full converter with this thing. I'm going to end up using a syringe from now on because wrestling with this thing is frustrating and ends up with inky fingers. The plus side is that with this giant nib it's hard to submerge it all the way in many ink bottles, so being able to remove the converter to fill it comes in handy.

Cost and Value: 7/10

I would not pay full U.S. price for this pen (over $1000). I won this on eBay for under $700. $600-700 feels about the right price for this pen. Even though the nib is awesome, for $1000+ you can get a lot more in a pen, in my opinion. Tamenuri urushi, Arco, etc. etc. But for $700 it's a nice pen. The size and the nib make it worth it to me. But probably won't be worth it for many folks, especially when you have so many other options at this price range. If Pilot came out with a tamenuri urushi eyedropper with this nib on it, you're darn right I'd pay over $1000 for it. So I really think this pen will appeal to either someone who has plenty of pens and money to spend, OR someone who is looking for something very specific - an incredible nib with Japanese line width on a big hunky pen that has a nice-feeling material that feels a step up from plastic. The latter was me.

Overall: 8/10

+ Solid, quality pen, incredible nib, wonderful size

- boring appearance, C/C filler, high price.

Edited by Betweenthelines

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Betweenthelines

• samasry

• XYZZY

• Eric2018

Thanks, interesting even if it's more than 4 times what I would pay for any pen. Makes me wonder what the expression for "over the top" is in japanese...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks, interesting even if it's more than 4 times what I would pay for any pen. Makes me wonder what the expression for "over the top" is in japanese...

It's called "bosozoku."

We ain't there yet.

bosozoku-cars-2.jpg?t=1459901958

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I love big pens too, it is not big, its a monster.

I tried one in a pen shop, i think it is too weird to bring the beast out, in normal situation.... lol.

But surely it is a good pen. And from the sample you wrote, I can feel the writing is comfortable and joyous.

Great review! Love it.

I have to say, the more I write with this nib the more I enjoy it and feel like this was a good purchase. It is heavenly beyond words, and I have written with many heavenly nibs. It is definitely Pilot's answer and equal to the KOP nib.

I held one of these a few months back but it wasn't inked. Even though the nib design is simply I really like it, especially compared to the Namiki Emperor which is similarly large.

Nice pen but too bad, it ain't a piston filler

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice pen but too bad, it ain't a piston filler

I'd like a self filler too, but the CON-70 comes damn close to being as satisfying to use.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 1 month later...

Just a little update after writing with this pen for ~ 2 months. I would adjust the 'construction & quality' as well as 'weight & dimensions' scores, as well as the overall score to 9/10 after getting used to the pen. The lightness of it is wonderful, the girth is perfect. It really feels high quality and the nib, as always, phenomenal. I don't really mind so much refilling the con-70 with a syringe. I have been debating grabbing another MB149 to replace the one I sold off years ago, but every time I consider it, I realize this pen really trumps what I could get out of another 149. It is a delight to write with, every time.

Edited by Betweenthelines

Thank you for detailed review. I am not a fan of big pen like Custom Urushi, but I have to say it is very nice to hold it in my hand. But not sure if I can write with it everyday. Too big for my hand.

:D Nice to meet you :D

• 3 weeks later...

Construction and Quality: 8/10

Like all Pilot pens I've used, QC is absolutely on point and puts Italy and Germany to shame (for the most part). Yes, a pen CAN arrive with the tines aligned and the flow set to a perfect wet but not-too-wet level (more on that below with the nib). Feels very well made and high quality in the hand, and looks it too. In the hand, though, it does still just feel like a plastic pen, and feels very different from a 100% ebonite/urushi pen like a Nakaya or Danitrio. Not sure if it's because of the plastic section, or because of the thickness of the ebonite they used for this barrel, but there it is.

Are the end caps of this pen also made of plastic? I have seen some reviews that make this assertion.

Also, I am not clear as why does this pen feel like plastic/resin and different than the other Ebonite/Urushi pens, Is the Ebonite thinner, or are there other reasons?

Thanks

Edited by salmasry

Are the end caps of this pen also made of plastic? I have seen some reviews that make this assertion.

Also, I am not clear as why does this pen feel like plastic/resin and different than the other Ebonite/Urushi pens, Is the Ebonite thinner, or are there other reasons?

Thanks

Yes I believe they are. I think the only part that's ebonite/urushi is the main part of the barrel (between the section and the end cap) and the main part of the cap.

My comment on it feeling like a plastic pen was really an initial impression of the pen in the hand based on its weight and feel. You can tell that the main part of the barrel and the cap are ebonite/urushi, but the section is plastic which is where you're holding the pen.

Yes I believe they are. I think the only part that's ebonite/urushi is the main part of the barrel (between the section and the end cap) and the main part of the cap.

My comment on it feeling like a plastic pen was really an initial impression of the pen in the hand based on its weight and feel. You can tell that the main part of the barrel and the cap are ebonite/urushi, but the section is plastic which is where you're holding the pen.

Thank you for the reply

All the black parts of the vermilion pen are made of resin then, no ebonite and no urushi

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142566835@N08/40529898832/

I just saw a post earlier in a thread with images of "the making of custom urushi" and the main part of the cap seems to be sort of veneer on top of plastic or resin. I was not expecting that part at all.

Edited by salmasry

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this pen in a pen show in Feb '19. It wrote Butter Smooth. The best writing experience ever.

FP Collection :-

Diplomat Aero, Pilot 845, Visconti Homo Sapiens, Pilot Silvern, Pelikan M1000, MB Solitaire Le Grand Blue Hour, Pelikan M805 Demonstrator, MB Solitaire Geometry, Lamy 2000, Lamy Lx Marron, 

Does anyone here know if you can disconnect the con 70 from this pen?

I read it comes fitted to the pen? What does fitted mean, can you disconnect and reconnect or not?

I feel that my pen needs to be flushed, but I do not want to create a problem if this converter is fitted.

On the other hand, fitting a converter seems like a really stupid idea, If I knew that I would not have purchased the pen

Does anyone here know if you can disconnect the con 70 from this pen?

I read it comes fitted to the pen? What does fitted mean, can you disconnect and reconnect or not?

I feel that my pen needs to be flushed, but I do not want to create a problem if this converter is fitted.

On the other hand, fitting a converter seems like a really stupid idea, If I knew that I would not have purchased the pen

Yes you can. It's a normal CON-70. You can use it with other Pilot converters or Pilot cartridges, too.

I think by "fitted" they mean they have already put it in, Hmmm, I don't remember if mine came that way or not. Certainly I wouldn't care whether it was in place or I have to do it myself. And I don't remember if it came with a cartridge...I was just too focused on the pen to care.

Edited by XYZZY

Yes you can. It's a normal CON-70. You can use it with other Pilot converters or Pilot cartridges, too.

I think by "fitted" they mean they have already put it in, Hmmm, I don't remember if mine came that way or not. Certainly I wouldn't care whether it was in place or I have to do it myself. And I don't remember if it came with a cartridge...I was just too focused on the pen to care.

Yes, Someone reminded me on another thread that it came with a cartridge :) thank you for the kind reply.

Just want to pop in and update after about 3 months of use:

1. The more I use this pen the more it becomes my favorite

2. The nib still makes my jaw drop

3. I would increase all the above listed scores as follows:

Appearance and Design: 8/10

The classy and classic design has grown on me. Still not a tamenuri or pretty celluloid, but it's a slick, imposing pen.

Construction and Quality: 9/10

The quality of this pen's build has become more and more clear as I use it.

Weight and Dimensions: 9/10

This pen has felt better and better to hold and, coupled with the nib, has put several of my other pens out of a job. The lightness is appreciated for longer writing. I quickly adjusted to the girth and it is wonderful.

Filling System and Maintenance: 8/10

As one of my only c/c pens, I've actually come to appreciate the con-70 for its ease of filling and cleaning relative to my piston/vac/etc. pens. You see, I have large pens, which means that many don't even fit into small bottles! This is a pen I can syringe-fill which makes my life A LOT easier. Additionally I can dilute inks as I go with the syringe to get the perfect shade of my inks.

Cost and Value: 8/10

Still wouldn't pay a grand for this pen, but I am feeling more and more like the money I did spend was very well spent!

Overall: 9/10

It's putting other pens out of a job and becoming a 'never-sell' favorite writer. Mostly because of the nib, the size and feel in the hand, and the con-70 that I can syringe fill.

I'll add some more photos when I have a chance.