Wing Sung 601 Better Nib Replacements

Thy

Hey guys, I realized that the Jinhao 911 and the Wing Sung 601 have the exact same nibs. The Jinhao 911 however, is better made, and is generally better than the Wing Sung's nib. I have tried using both nibs, and the found that the Jinhao 911 nib has an extra 10 degrees in it's "comfort zone" compared to the Wing Sung's nib. It's also a bit wetter in general, so I gave it a try and switched those nibs. They fit perfectly.

Just a heads up, hope it helps! The Jinhao is also only $1.60 USD for a pen, which is extremely cheap. I'd buy it for the nib and extra converter.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• Thy

• Mech-for-i

• WJM

you can buy spare nibs for the 601 in various styles of tipping on their own for the same price but you get 4 or 5 nibs.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Just wondering, as these a close lookalikes to the Parker 51 do they also take 51 nibs, I know the old Hero version did but what about these, assuming they are close enough and take a tubular nib like the 51 that is.

you can buy spare nibs for the 601 in various styles of tipping on their own for the same price but you get 4 or 5 nibs.

I would like a different nib for my 601. Where could we get those spare nibs you reference?

Just wondering, as these a close lookalikes to the Parker 51 do they also take 51 nibs, I know the old Hero version did but what about these, assuming they are close enough and take a tubular nib like the 51 that is.

The P51 and Wing Sung 601 nibs are not interchangeable.

Thanks, like I said "Just wondering" ;)

Out if interest what does the nib look like any pictures

Paul

No. Same style, same shape, 51 nibs are bigger.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I think they do! I haven't tried using any Hero pens with the same nib styles, but I'd presume they work!

I won't consider buying 601 nibs (considering the unpleasant feeling of them), but the Jinhao 911 as an entire pen is only $1.60 here. I'd just buy the Jinhao 911 and use it (I prefer the 911 rather than the 601, if not for it's cheapness), use it until it breaks in around 4-5 months or so, and switch the nib, versa visa.

Edited by Thy

I would like a different nib for my 601. Where could we get those spare nibs you reference?

If anything, these spare nibs should be on Ebay. However, I'd advise against that as they would be pretty uncomfortable, compared to the Jinhao 911's nib. The Jinhao 911 is really really cheap (1.60ish USD) and has a MUCH better nib than the 601. Actually, I wanted to buy a WS601 because it resembled a Jinhao 911, but the first thing I noticed when I got it was the extremely annoying nib. If the WS 601's nib did not fit with the Jinhao 911's, I personally would not buy it again, preferring to buy the cheap 911s.

Edited by Thy

I would say the difference between the Jinhao 911 vs the Wing Sung 601 pretty much illustrate the different writing need of the said product. Jinhao is heavy on export and aim to made the nib write in more casual and western oriented cursive form of writing. Wing Sung is strongly tailored for its intended home and Asian market where of course they write in a different language and different form. To say one is better to me is somewhat an over sight. As one who write in multiple language I can see both side of it.

The stock Wing Sung 601 nib is tailored to write daily affair in Chinese and that reflect in the fact that people wanting butter smooth gliding of a nib will inadvertently finding it too much of a toothy and feedback. And that I suppose is why the strong feeling but I had to agree with some prior post on this thread, that which there are different kind of nib on offer and some of them are better suited for different kind of writing. This also apply to many Chinese fountain pen; in set form as that its simply nibs that's tailored for a different form of writing to a different language

Having both the 911 and the 601 I've found myself having no issue using both to write cursive or kenji , or even Arabic but of course I must state that I am not into calligraphy and generally I do not aim to have line variation on my casual handwriting ( aka .. I do not press on the nib ).

I would say the difference between the Jinhao 911 vs the Wing Sung 601 pretty much illustrate the different writing need of the said product. Jinhao is heavy on export and aim to made the nib write in more casual and western oriented cursive form of writing. Wing Sung is strongly tailored for its intended home and Asian market where of course they write in a different language and different form. To say one is better to me is somewhat an over sight. As one who write in multiple language I can see both side of it.

The stock Wing Sung 601 nib is tailored to write daily affair in Chinese and that reflect in the fact that people wanting butter smooth gliding of a nib will inadvertently finding it too much of a toothy and feedback. And that I suppose is why the strong feeling but I had to agree with some prior post on this thread, that which there are different kind of nib on offer and some of them are better suited for different kind of writing. This also apply to many Chinese fountain pen; in set form as that its simply nibs that's tailored for a different form of writing to a different language

Having both the 911 and the 601 I've found myself having no issue using both to write cursive or kenji , or even Arabic but of course I must state that I am not into calligraphy and generally I do not aim to have line variation on my casual handwriting ( aka .. I do not press on the nib ).

Ah, I see! As a writer in a more "western" style of language so to speak (English alphabet and similar languages pertaining to it), I had a lot of trouble adapting to it's nib. That makes sense as to why I dislike the nib.

• 2 months later...

The Jinhao 911 however, is better made, and is generally better than the Wing Sung's nib. I have tried using both nibs, and the found that the Jinhao 911 nib has an extra 10 degrees in it's "comfort zone" compared to the Wing Sung's nib. It's also a bit wetter in general, so I gave it a try and switched those nibs. They fit perfectly.

Could you explain how did you remove 911 nib? I destroyed the pen trying and still couldn't do it.

I'd rather advise people to buy spare nibs (as Honeybadger said) and tweak them to their liking, rather than buying a different pen (albeit cheap), reason being: Chinese pens are known to be quite variable as to their quality, and their nibs even more so. I would wager that you simply got lucky with the Jinhao nib and unlucky with the Wing Sung nib. Out of 20 different Chinese nibs I ordered recently, some were bone-dry, some were perfect, some were smooth, some were misaligned, etc. - you get my point. I'd invest in a polishing kit over playing the maybe-the-next-pen-has-a-better-nib roulette.

Dominique

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

I concur. Nib QC is a major issue in this hobby at every damn price point. Visconti and Pelikan send put nearly as many duds as every other brand. So investing a few dollars into a loupe and a smoothing kit to align and smooth nibs to your liking (I tend to run most of my pens across 12000 grit micro mesh, I don't actually like many super smooth nibs) is worth its weight in gold. Just practice on super cheap Chinese pens and once you do 5 or 10, you'll be ready to tune that montblanc to your liking.

That said, the 601 is pretty darn well regarded for consistency in fit and finish, so it's occasional failed nib shouldn't scare anybody off, especially since replacements are dirt cheap.

I also don't think Chinese nibs are tuned to be toothed in general, the only think I could attribute to China is the lack of broader or flexible nib options, as most Asian languages prefer extremely fine lines, and a western fine might as well be a signature nib in Chinese.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I'd rather advise people to buy spare nibs (as Honeybadger said) and tweak them to their liking, rather than buying a different pen (albeit cheap), reason being: Chinese pens are known to be quite variable as to their quality, and their nibs even more so. I would wager that you simply got lucky with the Jinhao nib and unlucky with the Wing Sung nib. Out of 20 different Chinese nibs I ordered recently, some were bone-dry, some were perfect, some were smooth, some were misaligned, etc. - you get my point. I'd invest in a polishing kit over playing the maybe-the-next-pen-has-a-better-nib roulette.

Dominique

Indeed, my jinhao 911 did not write at all.

I think the best option for a replacement nib for most ( regarding typical cursive writing ) is to locate on retail one of those Delike / Hero 10K gold nib , yes they are available new retail in that de facto 18.5mm form factor, and despite that 10K nomenclature ; it actually cushion better than its 12K and 14K counterpart , the Chinese 10K gold nib had always been a sleeper ; a performer that belay its normally perceived image of being just 10K

Edited by Mech-for-i

Funny, I don't find my WS 601s to be considered toothy. In fact, they are one of the smoothest nibs I own including the replacement EF ones.

To make a longish story short, I recently bought several Jinhao 911’s and since I like thin pens and have come to like hooded nibs, they suit my needs. Hence:

@Thy - were you being facetious when you said the 911’s only last 4 or 5 months before they break or is that really what you have experienced?

@MuddyWaters - I have 6 911’s. None of the first three I inked up would write with Parker, Sheaffer or Lamy ink. Following suggestions found both here (FPN) and elsewhere on the ‘net I soaked the sections and converters for those three pens in tap water with a couple of drops of dish detergent. After a soak and rinse all three write just fine.

I’m enjoying the 911 more than the Hero 616 I also recently acquired. I think the Jinhao 51a’s are okay too!

Where?

I got both my 601's from ebay and I did a search and could not find the spare nib listed.

The first 601 was their second edition and leaked and became a mess. But wrote great.

The one I use now is the latest version but came with a horrible nib. In fact, I think it was an EF even though I requested F. I took the good nib off the bad pen and put it on the good one and haven't looked back. But considering this is the pen I use for work and give to clients, having a decent spare nib might be a good idea.