Yard-O-Led Value - New Prices

aurore

Well, no, the nibs are not Bock but JoWo and always pass the best QC via a superb nibmeister, which is not a standard in the industry.

I am fairly certain the nibs are by Bock unless there has been a recent change of supplier.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• aurore

• RJS

• como

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was under the impression the converters held 0.9ml but, yes, the difference is significant if your values are accurate.

I am going to check it out these days via my diamond scale to avoid any misrepresenting but via syringe it is as stated. I am talking about long cartridges only though, short are no way better than converters of course.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

I am fairly certain the nibs are by Bock unless there has been a recent change of supplier.

They have been JoWo for quite a while. I used to think they were Bock but I was wrong.

I got my Grand used and the nib felt somewhat weird but as soon as I fixed up the nib to feed fit via advices of the meant nibmeister it writes perfectly.

Edited by aurore

Preferably EU.

Thank you, aurore. I might have a chance to get a used one. This info will come handy. Much appreciated.

Schmidt K5 is your best choice, it is exactly the same as others but cheaper.

https://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/pens/converters-pen-spares/schmidt-k5-converter.html

Eventually even Schmidt K2 would fit, it is very cheap.

https://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/pens/converters-pen-spares/schmidt-k2-converter.html

Nevertheless refilling long Pelikan cartridges would provide you a double capacity comparing to these converters.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I was able to get a used Y-O-L Grand in Barley pattern. I put in a Caran d'Ache converter in it and it works. Thank you, aurore and 1nkulus, for the advice on converter.

Regards,

como

post-145678-0-56177200-1556717826_thumb.jpg

post-145678-0-72925000-1556717837_thumb.jpg

post-145678-0-83547700-1556717847_thumb.jpg

Como,

Congratulations on acquiring the Barley Grand. Mine always rests on my desk at home and is a pleasure to see and to use.

gary

Finally I was able to get a used Y-O-L Grand in Barley pattern. I put in a Caran d'Ache converter in it and it works. Thank you, aurore and 1nkulus, for the advice on converter.

Regards,

como

Excellent buy, congratulations! How do you like it? Was it a good deal?

Preferably EU.

Como,

Congratulations on acquiring the Barley Grand. Mine always rests on my desk at home and is a pleasure to see and to use.

gary

Thank you, gary. It's hefty and classy, and definitely a keeper :)

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy the reams of happiness.

It will make a great heirloom. biggrin.png Probably, one of the heaviest pens.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

HTH thumbup.gif

Engineer :

Excellent buy, congratulations! How do you like it? Was it a good deal?

Thank you, aurore. It's what I had hoped for, good condition, very smooth pleasant nib, well balanced. Just over 500 quid, fair enough I think.

I was under the impression the converters held 0.9ml but, yes, the difference is significant if your values are accurate.

I have measured (weighed) it. The converter (including. what it sucks in the feed) is appx. 0.7ml, a long Pelikan cartridge is 1.15ml. Not quite double but still a decent difference, I prefer refilling these cartridges.

Edited by aurore

Preferably EU.

• 1 year later...

I inherited a Yard-o-Led pencil from my grandfather when I was a child, and always intended on buying a brand new copy the Grand Viceroy Victorian at some point. Nearly did about 4 years ago but put the cash towards a jolly nice holiday instead. Now I'm in the position to buy one, but I see prices have doubled, or more than doubled. :( Whilst I could still buy it, my perceived value of it isn't that high, and it feels like an unfair move by the owner.

Someone mentioned labour costs increased in the last 4 years... er, no, not to that extent!! Very disappointing from the owner. I owned a used YOL fountain pen before, perhaps 8 years ago, and whilst it was extremely pretty it was smaller than I prefer and didn't write well, so moved it on quickly. The brand felt like affordable luxury back then, but feels more like overpriced luxury now.

Edited by RJS

Interesting that this thread has resurfaced. I was looking at some website yesterday or the day before, and was staggered at the price of the Viceroy Victorians (even more expensive than the one or two vendors that carry that brand in the US normally are).

A Viceroy Victorian Standard has been my "grail pen" pretty much ever since I started on FPN. But it's also the "when I win the lottery" pen. And seriously, while they are darned pretty (I don't actually like most of their other designs), and I do understand the craftsmanship involved -- it would cost something like 10 TIMES what I paid for for the Parker 75 sterling silver Ciselé pen I got last winter on eBay -- and that's INCLUDING the sales tax and shipping charges on the 75. And I could have gotten a Ciselé 75 for even less if I had been willing to get one with a medium nib. I'm going on the assumption that the price I saw for the VV *was* for a Standard, not a Grande -- I know a Grande model will likely be way to heavy for my hand; and while the Pocket size pens are cheaper, being smaller, a pen that is cartridge only is a dealbreaker for me -- ESPECIALLY at that price. As for the Standard, the price I saw yesterday was more than double the current US price at some high-end retailers. Don't know if that one had a gold or steel nib, but if 14/18 K it would *still* have been NEARly double the price of the last time I priced them out (factoring in I think nearly $125 additional for the gold nib back a couple of years ago).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

One of the US sellers had YoL pens listed at a discounted price (approximately 25 to 30% off). The temptation was difficult to resist, but I restrained myself. In the end, I knew I only wanted it because is a beautifully crafted pen from a esteemed maker, that would sit next to an equally functional pen that cost less than 1/10th as much, and used only occasionally.

• 4 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 10:45 PM, RJS said:

I assumed for the current price an 18 or 21k gold nib was obligatory! If it's just a steel nib... jeeze...

According to the company's info all recent Viceroy pens come with 18kt gold nib.

All the best is only beginning now...

Just noticed an interesting fact: it seems Y-O-L is one of only a few old famous British pen manufacturers which is still owned by British...

All the best is only beginning now...

3 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

Just noticed an interesting fact: it seems Y-O-L is one of only a few old famous British pen manufacturers which is still owned by British...

You will struggle to find another!

Onoto might be a reasonable shout, but it is not De La Rue.

Conway Stewart is no more linked to the original company than my home turned "s.175  reversed cracked ice" is to the original Curzon company (tongue in cheek)

While YOL is a luxury pen (I no longer use the term "grail pen") basically any pen over $25 is a luxury pen. As there are many pens which will write well and last at that price point and under, whether you like them or not, it is now about the luxury one wants.

Compared to many other pens below and above the price of a YOL, I find it satisfying to use for many subjective reasons. I've also bought no other high-dollar luxury pens since. Had I bought it sooner, my pen collection would be much smaller.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special