A Shoutout For Tactical Pens

Sui-Generis

I really enjoyed reading the whole thread. With a glass of wine in hand, I actually had a number of laughs.

I have traveled with backpack over much of the surface of the Western Hemisphere. My greatest tactical weapon is actually my mouth, which has gotten me out of many situations.

Then, once, I needed a flashlight to get to a place where I could sleep since I had been dropped off in the middle of nowhere in the high Andes. A pen, never, tactical even less, since in most places they take away any weapon you may have.

I agree completely with Honeybadgers (and I really, really respect you a lot for being an EMT) - tactical stuff is mostly useless. Buy it and use it because it is able to withstand a lot and because, in your mind, it looks cool.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usk15

• ParramattaPaul

• Honeybadgers

• Sui-Generis

The tactical pen's heritage comes from Kubota - a guy who lived and breathed a certain type of combat. For people who've lived that life, a tactical pen makes sense.

The discussion here reads like a ballpoint pen user arguing about the merits of a vintage flex nib.

Edited by JosephKing

A lot of titanium pens sold by the Chinese on Alibaba can be termed tactical. Crazy CNC machining to look like those tactical knives and there is always that lanyard and clip to cling to other tactical gears.

• 1 month later...

I like some of the strange designs in "tactical" pens but purely from the design/machining aspect. They aren't always practical as pens unfortunately.

Agreed! Every one I've held just felt to heavy for comfortable use as a writing pen.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

"tactical pen" is such a stupid notion. The closest thing I've done with a pen that could be considered that would be when I (once) used my delike alpha to pop a car window when my glass breaker failed and there was an unconscious/not breathing patient inside. The slightly raised point on the pen's cap placed against the bottom corner was enough to blow the window, though it was likely already under a lot of stress due to the passenger cell deformation.

I'd have definitely destroyed any ballpoint/rollerball with a tail clicker doing that. The fountain pen survived, but it's not a "tactical" pen.

That said, unless any of y'all are paramedics who expect your tools to fail (firefighters would have had a windshield saw at hand) or literally in the field as a soldier who needs a writing tool that isn't shiny and reflective to give away your position (hence why WWII soldier pens had half-clips, so they were hidden under the fold of a breast pocket) the notion of a tactical pen is just stupid. Like what you like, there's nothing wrong with any of the pens listed, but describing any of them as "tactical" when they serve no genuine purpose beyond just being a writing tool is asinine marketing. Now, if the pen concealed a shiv, we might be on to something, but then you'd be in a whole other can of worms depending on where you live, and deploying that kind of tool would be slow and ungainly.

I hate the "EDC" movement too. I carry a phone and a wallet every day. They aren't "EDC". "EDC" generally only refers to the equipment I carry on my person that is not your typical phone, wallet, keys, pocket knife and maybe a pen/paper. Stuff that everyone would consider normal is not "EDC." My leatherman raptor, glass breaker, pager, stethoscope, surgical tape, handcuff/restraint keys, etc. are "EDC" items that I use when on duty.

And if any of you genuinely think a pen will help you in a self-defense situation, you're sorely mistaken. Someone who genuinely wants to hurt you is only barely going to be dissuaded by pepper spray and maybe a stab wound from a pocket knife. But I've had patients with a through and through that were walking, talking, and completely able to keep going if they needed to. If you want self defense, you want a knife or pepper spray, but one other problem the idea of "Self defense" tools have is that they can make people forget what is often the best idea- run the hell away. Do not ever think that you will definitely stop an assailant without the use of deadly force.

Sorry, I'll get down off my soapbox. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with any of the pens listed. I just take issue with the nomenclature and feeding into the idea of EDC, because quite often, people who get suckered into the "EDC" idea also get indoctrinated into the idea of a concealed carry permit and other kinds of vigilante justice in the name of "self defense", which is the bane of my (bleep) existence as a paramedic. 99.99% of people with CCW's are more dangerous to themselves and the public than they are useful in self-defense situations. I've had a patient injured by a stray bullet fired by a CCW civilian who very inappropriately discharged his weapon at a fleeing mugger. That person was also charged with a crime. The rise of "self defense" has just given rise to more injuries that could have been prevented by 1.) fleeing and/or 2.) calling the police. "EDC" and "tactical" "lifestyles" are just bad for society. The internet and cable news have just made everyone think that the next life-threatening situation is just around the corner for them and that they're the only one who might be able to stop it. Cops work great. It's why we have 'em. I'm also pretty good at keeping you out of a coffin. Leave it to the professionals.

I am with you that the concept of a tactical pen is ridiculous. Just carry a knife (the largest knife that you can legally carry in your state).

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

I have two, possibly three tactical pens that I have used and carried from time to time. They weren't particularly good to write with. Personally, a nice old fashiioned wood pencil will serve you just as well if you need to poke holes in people's sensitive spots, and are so ubiquitous, no one would think of taking it -- or that it was a makeshift weapon.

I have two, possibly three tactical pens that I have used and carried from time to time. They weren't particularly good to write with. Personally, a nice old fashiioned wood pencil will serve you just as well if you need to poke holes in people's sensitive spots, and are so ubiquitous, no one would think of taking it -- or that it was a makeshift weapon.

One of the worst stabbings I've ever seen in my life (the inside of my rig looked like a Jackson Pollock painting) was from a crazed man with a sharp #2 pencil.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 10 months later...

"Tactical" seems to be nothing more than a buzz-word these days. Have seen some call it "tactic-cool," which may be a better term. As has been pointed out, many of these "tactical" pens may end up confiscated simply because they look like weapons. Sometimes I wonder if the Zebra F an M 701 might end up confiscated on nothing more than looks. A Jotter, OTOH, looks like a regular ballpoint pen, even the ones with metal barrels.

As to the weapon aspect, will only comment that pens made for use in prisons tend to be non-rigid to make them more difficult to use as a shiv.

The best disposable "tactical" pen is Zebra Z7A. It has a resistive screen stylus at the end and it's both very sharp & durable. I used to use them by the dozen in the university. I have a tendency to close the cap with a light tap at the back of the pen (only for disposable rollers).

I still remember the pain of doing so.

I have two purpose-made tactical pens.  Both were gifts from family members. One, the better thought out of the two, has a glass breaker at one end that would be useful for rescue purposes.  Both are designed to poke an assailant.  Do I carry either of them?  No.  It is doubtful that either of them would get past an airport (or other) security checkpoint.  What I do carry is a Pentel energel gel pen, a Derwent mechanical pencil, and a Diplomat Magnum.  Any of those, especially the Derwent, will suffice for poking an assailants tender spots in a moment of desperation.

• 1 year later...

learning how to use a tactical pen for self-defense could be of great help when an attacker is pursuing you, The tactical pens, also considered a self-defense pen or a combat pen, come with various features such as a tactical pen with knife, and/or with flashlight. It is viable for writing, and self-defense, and may be used for starting a fire for survival.

1 hour ago, john00 said:

learning how to use a tactical pen for self-defense could be of great help when an attacker is pursuing you,

Learning to outrun an attacker solves the pursuer problem more efficiently.

Actually, learning to avoid an attacker is even more efficient. Otherwise you have to out(run, weight, smart, etc...) in all other abilities to succeed. If one cannot, then the attacker may use anything we have against us, and so the less damaging tools one has, the better.

"The pen is mightier than the sword". Not because of being "tactical" (a "tactical pen" is but a minuscule "sword" that might carry with some luck a minor surprise factor), but because it relies on intelligence instead of force.

Avoiding trouble is the mainstay of any reasonable martial art. Fight should always be the last resort. If that comes about, fight with your wits. If that fails, try to use the enemy against themselves. If that fails, consider negotiation. if that fails consider conceding if possible. If that fails then maybe you might consider facing up.

Try to become the worst enemy if you want to maximize your chances. The worst enemy is one who is cornered and has nothing to lose. So, try everything else before your "tactical" pen.

Out in the wild? A pen cannot substitute a pocket knife in all tasks but any pen can do things a pocket knife cannot. Both will happily fit in a pocket. And each will have specific uses the other cannot fulfill. I prefer to carry a trusty 40-yr-old plain (not Swiss style) pocket knife  and a pocket pen (a Kaweco Liliput or AL Sport). Well, actually I usually carry two pocket knifes, one knuckle size and a smaller one, half that size, for backup).

Now, a metal fountain pen whose body could be used as razor sharpener, that would be welcome (though I do also carry a pocket honing steel that fits in the knife sleeve).

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

2 hours ago, txomsy said:

Actually, learning to avoid an attacker is even more efficient. Otherwise you have to out(run, weight, smart, etc...) in all other abilities to succeed. If one cannot, then the attacker may use anything we have against us, and so the less damaging tools one has, the better.

"The pen is mightier than the sword". Not because of being "tactical" (a "tactical pen" is but a minuscule "sword" that might carry with some luck a minor surprise factor), but because it relies on intelligence instead of force.

Avoiding trouble is the mainstay of any reasonable martial art. Fight should always be the last resort. If that comes about, fight with your wits. If that fails, try to use the enemy against themselves. If that fails, consider negotiation. if that fails consider conceding if possible. If that fails then maybe you might consider facing up.

Try to become the worst enemy if you want to maximize your chances. The worst enemy is one who is cornered and has nothing to lose. So, try everything else before your "tactical" pen.

Out in the wild? A pen cannot substitute a pocket knife in all tasks but any pen can do things a pocket knife cannot. Both will happily fit in a pocket. And each will have specific uses the other cannot fulfill. I prefer to carry a trusty 40-yr-old plain (not Swiss style) pocket knife  and a pocket pen (a Kaweco Liliput or AL Sport). Well, actually I usually carry two pocket knifes, one knuckle size and a smaller one, half that size, for backup).

Now, a metal fountain pen whose body could be used as razor sharpener, that would be welcome (though I do also carry a pocket honing steel that fits in the knife sleeve).

Dare we digress?

I agree that alertness and avoidance are one's first line of defence. The next rung on the escalation of force ladder is verbal de-escalation. Yet, there are times and situations in which neither is an option.  Nearly a century ago, W.E. Fairbairn, the acknowledged father of close quarters combat whose methods are still taught today, stated that one's best defense having failed to avoid an attacker with a knife is to run away.  He also taught that such commonday items as an umbrella, a rolled newspaper, and even a No.2 pencil can be used as a weapon defensively if one must.  

I do agree, once you are cornered and with no other options, just use whatever you have at hand. And it not, use nails and teeth, or even bare hands.

But there are many more "tools" that can be easily more effective than a tactical pen (like a rolled newspaper, but I reckon that may be quite difficult to come by nowadays).

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Or a .45 ACP tripple tap.  But never mind that.  Having acquired tactical underwear I'm of to purchase a tactical toothbrush.

He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day.

Add lightness and simplicate.