A Shoutout For Tactical Pens

Sui-Generis

EDC is actually a nice simple term for "tough and reliable" but culture has shifted and mutated it into marketing people towards vigilante justice.

Correct 100%

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usk15

• ParramattaPaul

• Honeybadgers

• Sui-Generis

EDC is actually a nice simple term for "tough and reliable" but culture has shifted and mutated it into marketing people towards vigilante justice.

I'll agree with that also.

A lot of EDC has turned into something...well, weird.

You've all seen the oddballs practising in their back yards, smashing watermelons with an axe in preparation for the zombie apocalypse I'll bet.

I consider EDC on a far more practical level, or "being 10% more prepared for the unexpected than Joe Average". Whether that be a multitool, first aid kit, ball of twine, a protein bar thrown into the bottom of a bag or, indeed, a pen that'll survive just about anything.

With internet culture being what it is these days (and I'm getting to the point of being old enough to have seen the majority of it, at least since the 90's), things get twisted & blown out of all reason all too easily.

Badger, I thank you for putting your soapbox away in your replies, much appreciated. And I can absolutely 100% see how witnessing the outcomes of peoples'...overzealousness for 'tactical' gear could get irksome very quickly in your line of work.

Arguing with people on the Internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will just knock the pieces over, s**t on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

I carry 2 pens that might be called Tactical pens. But, I just have them cuz the metalic bodies are a lot more robust than many plastic bodied pens. So, I have a Karas Kustom's Retract pen that takes a Pilot G2 refill, and I have 2 Tactical Turn Movers with G2 refills. I have had them for at least 5 years, and they seem to be holding up very well.

I bought a brass Delike Alpha simply because it could live in the back pocket of my work trousers and not get smashed/dented when I sit down. The secondary reason is that I didn't feel like spending five times as much for a Kaweco Sport, which has less ink capacity.

The only proper minus point is the 0.3mm EF nib version had no iridium tip. No wonder it was scratchy.

I managed to swop in a Jinhao #5 nib. It was not such a fine tip, but it was what I had around.

At the time I bought mine I don't think the brass Alpha came with a 0.5mm nib.

I believe that the Delike also takes short International cartridges, but the Kaweco is just too short.

The converter means I can use iron-gall ink that will write more legibly on the garbage they call paper. If I am using Diamine Registrar's or KWZ IG Blue #1 I do have to rinse the converter in very dilute ammonia solution every so often.

The original tactical pen (it was simply a Cross pen) was arguably identified and developed as such by the Japanese bodyguard to the American Ambassador to Japan in the late 1950s. He created an entire system around it, mainly based on Akido, and it became the Kobuton used in LE and by prison guards today. I still carry one. Of course, undoubtedly James Bond types used such thing earlier in the OSS and such. The point is not the pen, it is the training.

All EDC is only as good as the fool and the training behind him or her. I have certified hundreds of students for CCW, and most were a complete plus. I have a peace officer background (l-o-n-g ago) and very strong ties to my local EMT/Paramedic community, most of whom carry privately and have different views than espoused here previously. But certification courses in SC and NC are tougher. At least mine are. (Stand your ground, by the way, is of course a legal decision, which varies by state, but always a tactical decision; getting home alive and with no-one harmed is the real destination.)

What should always be EDC is your mind and attitude. Then a good pen (to write with). A good knife is probably next in line. Then comes (in my case) my Sig. Which will stay holstered as I hate cleaning guns. (Then again, any assailant who pushes it too far, and forces me, should plan on possibly predeceasing me.)

Seriously, don't do stupid things, don't go to stupid places, and don't say stupid things. That's everyday carry. Don't walk like a victim, but also don't swagger: that is, disinvite attack. That's EDC. It's not an item, it is an attitude. Live in peace.

Edited by Brianm_14

Brian

The original tactical pen (it was simply a Cross pen) was arguably identified and developed as such by the Japanese bodyguard to the American Ambassador to Japan in the late 1950s. He created an entire system around it, mainly based on Akido, and it became the Kobuton used in LE and by prison guards today. I still carry one. Of course, undoubtedly James Bond types used such thing earlier in the OSS and such. The point is not the pen, it is the training.

All EDC is only as good as the fool and the training behind him or her. I have certified hundreds of students for CCW, and most were a complete plus. I have a peace officer background (l-o-n-g ago) and very strong ties to my local EMT/Paramedic community, most of whom carry privately and have different views than espoused here previously. But certification courses in SC and NC are tougher. At least mine are. (Stand your ground, by the way, is of course a legal decision, which varies by state, but always a tactical decision; getting home alive and with no-one harmed is the real destination.)

What should always be EDC is your mind and attitude. Then a good pen (to write with). A good knife is probably next in line. Then comes (in my case) my Sig. Which will stay holstered as I hate cleaning guns. (Then again, any assailant who pushes it too far, and forces me, should plan on possibly predeceasing me.)

Seriously, don't do stupid things, don't go to stupid places, and don't say stupid things. That's everyday carry. Don't walk like a victim, but also don't swagger: that is, disinvite attack. That's EDC. It's not an item, it is an attitude. Live in peace.

This is good, solid, sensible advice from Brian, who has learnt much for his life experience. Thank you, Brian.

The basic rule with weapons is this: anything you can use against someone, can be also be turned against you. The best strategy (tactic?) is to avoid conflict. Just read Sun-Tzu.

The myths about EDC and Tactical tools as survival items has derailed badly to a point where they seem to be lifesavers made of kryptonite. Anybody fool enough to believe that (bleeeepy bleep) deserve what is coming to them.

So, here, I agree with Honeybadgers.

That said, the EDC idea is not bad. Here I dissent from Honeybadgers. I had been looking for an EDC pen for 20+ years until I got my MB Noblesse. You see, I am foolish, careless and sloppy, forgetful too. I wanted something I could wear around anywhere, all metal, sturdy, that I could treat carelessly and wasn't so small I could forget or miss it (much like Chanel #5 had I been Marilyn, which I ain't -obviously). That pen did it for me. Was in my trousers, shirt pocket, backpacks, wherever I went, from toxic waste dumps to ultra-resistant infectious respiratory diseases units, to the Amazon or the Inca trail, into an active volcano, and to high-end summits with ministers and top-level advisors, gala dinners and the like.

When I discovered the Kaweco Stonewashed AL I though it was neat, something I could carry anywhere too. Perhaps not so classy. Perhaps too small and light, so I fear I can lose it and not miss it until it's too late. Which is why I got some Delike alphas that I wouldn't mind losing.

All of this is to say; there is such a thing as an EDC in contrast to a standard pen: I've lost and broken way too many pens to remember them all (any plastic one, and even metal ones if the section was plastic). There are not that many pens you can equally wear on a risky adventure as well as on an elegant meeting and will both endure abuse and "showing off". That's "every" day.

Kinda... like my trusty Vostok Amphibias or Casio Kinetic. I do not need to take them off for any reason -unless I want to. Not even need to change batteries.

As for tactical pens... I'd prefer the term "rugged". Because other than that, it's mostly hype. Yeah, I know, you can use it as a nail in special circumstances. Or as a "weapon" (even if only as a magnifier by increasing pressure applied by reducing surface). Or a lever. But either you are a fool and then it will be useless or you are not, and you can come up with many alternative ways to accomplish the same goal without need for a "tactical" item. Even monkeys -and even birds- have discovered how to use a stick or a stone when needed. To me, tactical means "more rugged and possibly uglier than EDC"

Kinda... like a Casio G-shock. Ugly but sturdy.

I know there is a market for each. Much like I got attached to an Amphibia when I started diving long ago (before dive computers) and to my MB Noblesse (before all-metal pens were so frequent), I can see others getting attached to sturdy, rugged, perhaps ugly (though that's a matter of taste) pens, watches, or whatever for their own reasons. They certainly have a niche.

I only regret the mythology that marketing has developed around those terms. Marketing... Kinda... the discussion on the meaning of "vintage" in another thread. Sigh.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Im guilty, I like the pen. I own 4 of them. 2 black, 1 silver and 1 brown. Oops, almost forgot which pen. The Schrade tactical fountain pen with ballpoint adapter

Edited by FOUR X FOUR

If they meet your requirements, by all means, you are doing the right thing. That is the point. I can envision situations (or just preferences) where one would prefer one or the other. Just make sure you enjoy what you are doing and using. That's the ultimate test.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Ladies And Gents....A Thousand Thanks to all of you for all the { } I learned.

Still your friend and mine,

Fred

who got some interestn' email today...

How they know...I needed

Veterans Tax Relief...Stop wasting money on teevee subscriptions..

Breathe easy with a portable oxygen concentraton...Who knew this

re The Truth about neuropathy..Howabout this one...my { } feels

great in my wet { }....Or..View your credit score...Earn a

Medical Remburstmet...blah blah blah.....Not my spellin'.......

I Love A Rainy Night.....Eddie Rabbit...but I love a rainy night...such....

• 2 weeks later...

Im guilty, I like the pen. I own 4 of them. 2 black, 1 silver and 1 brown. Oops, almost forgot which pen. The Schrade tactical fountain pen with ballpoint adapter

post-119257-0-41687300-1559693749_thumb.jpeg

The basic rule with weapons is this: anything you can use against someone, can be also be turned against you. The best strategy (tactic?) is to avoid conflict. Just read Sun-Tzu.

The myths about EDC and Tactical tools as survival items has derailed badly to a point where they seem to be lifesavers made of kryptonite. Anybody fool enough to believe that (bleeeepy bleep) deserve what is coming to them.

So, here, I agree with Honeybadgers.

That said, the EDC idea is not bad. Here I dissent from Honeybadgers. I had been looking for an EDC pen for 20+ years until I got my MB Noblesse. You see, I am foolish, careless and sloppy, forgetful too. I wanted something I could wear around anywhere, all metal, sturdy, that I could treat carelessly and wasn't so small I could forget or miss it (much like Chanel #5 had I been Marilyn, which I ain't -obviously). That pen did it for me. Was in my trousers, shirt pocket, backpacks, wherever I went, from toxic waste dumps to ultra-resistant infectious respiratory diseases units, to the Amazon or the Inca trail, into an active volcano, and to high-end summits with ministers and top-level advisors, gala dinners and the like.

When I discovered the Kaweco Stonewashed AL I though it was neat, something I could carry anywhere too. Perhaps not so classy. Perhaps too small and light, so I fear I can lose it and not miss it until it's too late. Which is why I got some Delike alphas that I wouldn't mind losing.

All of this is to say; there is such a thing as an EDC in contrast to a standard pen: I've lost and broken way too many pens to remember them all (any plastic one, and even metal ones if the section was plastic). There are not that many pens you can equally wear on a risky adventure as well as on an elegant meeting and will both endure abuse and "showing off". That's "every" day.

Kinda... like my trusty Vostok Amphibias or Casio Kinetic. I do not need to take them off for any reason -unless I want to. Not even need to change batteries.

As for tactical pens... I'd prefer the term "rugged". Because other than that, it's mostly hype. Yeah, I know, you can use it as a nail in special circumstances. Or as a "weapon" (even if only as a magnifier by increasing pressure applied by reducing surface). Or a lever. But either you are a fool and then it will be useless or you are not, and you can come up with many alternative ways to accomplish the same goal without need for a "tactical" item. Even monkeys -and even birds- have discovered how to use a stick or a stone when needed. To me, tactical means "more rugged and possibly uglier than EDC"

Kinda... like a Casio G-shock. Ugly but sturdy.

I know there is a market for each. Much like I got attached to an Amphibia when I started diving long ago (before dive computers) and to my MB Noblesse (before all-metal pens were so frequent), I can see others getting attached to sturdy, rugged, perhaps ugly (though that's a matter of taste) pens, watches, or whatever for their own reasons. They certainly have a niche.

I only regret the mythology that marketing has developed around those terms. Marketing... Kinda... the discussion on the meaning of "vintage" in another thread. Sigh.

I would argue that "EDC" and "tactical" are actually antithetical to one another.

Example, the pocket knife I carry with me. If I'm on duty, I use a heavy kershaw assist opening knife that I can swing like a machete if I have to. And I've had to. It's a tool, and it gets worked hard.

But it's overkill for the real world. It's big, and heavy, and a little reminiscent of the Crocodile Dundee "NOW THAT'S A KNOIFE" scene if I take it out in public.

261678-b5c4c54eeae09c55dc49e81f1fe84121.

It's not well suited for sitting in the pocket of my shorts. For that, I have a CRKT CEO or spyderco kiwi, a very small, thin, lightweight knife designed to tackle challenges more suited to me when I'm wearing shorts. It can cut fruit, open boxes, letters, etc. But if I tried to baton wood with it or jam it into a stump and use it as a step up (something I've done with the kershaw) they'd snap.

But those are never tasks I'll need to ask of myself when I'm wearing shorts.

My delike alpha works as an everyday pen because while it's heavy and I've used it as an improvised glass breaker, It's small and compact enough to not be obtrusive in said shorts' pocket. But that versatility kinda means it isn't "tactical"

No cop goes out in his full tac gear unless the situation calls for it. A firefighter isn't wearing his bunkers (unless he's nude from the waist down because you woke him up. You're welcome for that imagery. It's like 90% of all firefighters wearing their bunker pants and T shirt) unless there's a fire. I'm not wearing my heavy rescue gloves unless I'm on a heavy rescue call and will be hanging onto sharp, twisted metal. I don't wear my N95 unless I suspect a very specific kind of airborne illness or toxin. "Tactical" gear is kind of heavily focused on a specific type of task and is either inappropriate, ineffective, or overkill for less extreme situations. "EDC" is what I would call reliable and durable items that wouldn't have a typical person raise an eyebrow at you for having.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 11 months later...

I have several of the Benchmade tactical pens-base ones are aluminum next step up is stainless steel(heavy and a little unwieldy for writing), and the top version is Damascus steel- beautiful but very heavy and must be made to order- takes several weeks to get. They all use fisher pressurized reftiil and they are capped pens; the cap posts with a satisfying click. The aluminum ones are the most comfortable with which to write, but the steel versions would be better in defense.

Secundum Artem

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an aluminum Embassy pen which is super to write with. Short of throwing at someone's face, I don't see any tactical applications for it.

Right now, my EDC pen includes one of my Rotring Ballpoints with either a Uni SXR-600-07 or Schmidt Easyflow9000.

I only have one fountain pen inked: My Pilot Custom Heritage 912-Fine (Heart of Darkness), which I do use as an EDC sometimes. It's just so solid I don't need another FP inked right now.

BUT... I do like to carry my Smith & Wesson tactical pen with me as an alternative to a pocket knife. I found the laws where I am tricky with pocket knives and I didn't want any problems with cops, but I wanted some sense of protection and my tactical pen can do some serious damage.