A Blast From The Past - Susemai Red Cashmere Now Available

JustWrite Pen Company

A Blast From The Past:

post-18968-0-78601900-1554623153_thumb.jpg

Red Cashmere Fountain pen Ink is available exclusively at:

United States: Lemur Inks ( www.lemurink.com ) United Kingdom: Cult Pens ( www.cultpens.com ) Australia: JustWrite ( www.justwrite.com.au )

Red Cashmere was originally developed as a powdered fountain pen ink back in 2014 as part of the SuSeMai project by the Th-INKing Outside the Bottle Group on the fountain Pen Network. Red Cashmere was developed by Kevin Watson and Dave Marshall from the JustWrite Pen Company and the Th-INKing Outside the Bottle Group provided extensive support, advice, testing and feedback.

post-18968-0-30113600-1554623199_thumb.jpg

Thirteen powdered inks were developed by the SuSeMai project but none were ever released for sale.

Powdered ink had several advantages including the obvious savings in packaging and freight (no glass bottle or water) and fountain pen users could make the ink up as concentrated as they liked in their own empty ink bottles. The powdered inks worked fine but had a fatal flaw. There was no way to ensure the even distribution of biocide through the powdered ink.

The focus shifted to gels and concentrated liquids and the powdered ink idea was abandoned. Most of the powdered inks did not adapt well to the gel concentrate form and sadly, they were lost forever... until now.

Almost 18 months of extensive experimenting and development, made possible by the tireless and enthusiastic testing and feedback from FPN members, ultimately led to the establishment of Blackstone Inks and now Blackstone Ink is resurrecting Red Cashmere as a conventional liquid ink.

The new liquid Red Cashmere ink has all of the characteristics and qualities of the original powdered ink but none of the disadvantages. It's a rich, dark red, free flowing ink that's very well behaved.

If you'd like more information about the SuSeMai project or Red Cashmere search for 'susemai' on the FPN.

Special Acknowledgement:

Blackstone Inks would not exist if not for the encouragement, assistance and support of the members of the Fountain Pen Network. Thank you all so much.

post-18968-0-08983200-1554623234_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-09461700-1554623249_thumb.jpg

Kevin Watson
Blackstone Ink :: JustWrite Pen Company, Australia
Website: www.justwrite.com.au www.blackstone.inkEmail: info@justwrite.com.au

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhguda

• amberleadavis

• Caronann

• Karmachanic

THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!!

Red Cashmere is an amazing ink - it has great sheen - If you loved inks like Penman Ruby, Levenger Pomegranate, Bung Box Tears of a Clown - then this ink is for you because it is even better!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

How does it shade? Looking forward to a review or two!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Woo hoo.

I remember them all being wonderful inks.

(Green Cashmere being seriously close to MBRG.)

Interesting story and ink color. Looking forward to reviews!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

This is wonderful news - even for moi who does not normally care much about red inks. I may break my unspoken promise to not buy any new inks for a while - and get one of these, for sentimental reasons if nothing else. I think I still have some of the original susemai red cashmere stashed away among all the other bottles of wonderful ink...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

:gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

If you want it to shade, you just dilute. If you want sheen, you keep it at the super strength.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is wonderful news - even for moi who does not normally care much about red inks. I may break my unspoken promise to not buy any new inks for a while - and get one of these, for sentimental reasons if nothing else. I think I still have some of the original susemai red cashmere stashed away among all the other bottles of wonderful ink...

And you didn't tell me you had a special red hidden, somewhere?? Tsss Tsss :lol: :lol:

Well, this looks like a marvelous red. Like you, Margo, I have stopped buying inks for a moment, now. And had promised me not to buy anymore - I don't even havee the Colorverse ones (shame on me ;) ).

But, this is a serious tempting red, and I am certain I will not resist it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edit - PS at 23h06: Well, I have just ordered it. Weak, I am a weak soul :blush: :blush: :blush:

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Congratulations Maria, you won! I think this version of Red Cashmere is darker and more concentrated than what I have left, which was about 20ml of the 8% solution that I made from the powder. Too many years ago. I think at some point I did send you some of it, way back when we started exchanging stuff... I think you got the magical green cashmere, that changed color. You might want to look at your own secret stash... it's a very small envelope but it makes a nice amount of ink. The problem is keeping your hands clean...

Anyway, let us know how you like it when you get it, if it's 12% it should be nicely concentrated and dark, and you may pull me over the line... enjoy! I will definitely confess if or when I capitulate...

If you want it to shade, you just dilute. If you want sheen, you keep it at the super strength.

OK OK I'll get a boottle :)

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Yes, Margo, I did get the magical Green Cashemere (I didn't forget, and feel very priviledged to have had that wonderful experience). I still have some (I use it parcimonialy, because I find it so beautiful).

I shall send you a sample of this Red Cashemere, if you want it.

I shall tell you my impressions once I try it (Cult pens has shipped it today :bunny01: :bunny01: ).

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

I look forward to the impressions and pictures of how it behaves on all of your wonderful papers.

Since exam time is rolling around, I'm going to fill a pen with what I found - this is the time of year when I really use my red ink.

And yes, once you have it and have tried it, if you feel able to part with some of it, I will gladly welcome a sample - unless I cave and go to Justwrite and order some for myself... still, shippingwise, the best option for me.

Very interesting. However, I have not found a lot of dark reds or burgundy inks I could stomach. So until I see actual reviews I will pass for now.

OTOH, are there other colors that people were playing around with? Because the concept is pretty awesome.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't usually buy bottles without trying a sample first but when I saw this...well...tomorrow. It will be here tomorrow. Good thing I did. It's sold out here.

Gone . . . gone . . . gone. Lemur Inks is sold out. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I found my other, more concentrated bottle. Hiding in plain sight on my desk. Looks just like it did the last time I filled a pen - not even evaporation. Bottle has a nice glass plug. Soon will be in a pen now... :)

OMG, I am in LOVE with this ink. If Lemur comes up with any more I'm buying a 2nd bottle.

I don't usually buy bottles without trying a sample first but when I saw this...well...tomorrow. It will be here tomorrow. Good thing I did. It's sold out here.