Moleskine Passion Journal For Fountain Pens

Whiterose64

I wasnt sure where to post this so move it if you need to.

This week I discovered that Moleskine have brought out Passion Journals with various topics like travel and wine.

I contacted them and suggested that they bring out a journal for fountain pen collectors, on fp friendly paper.

So I thought that if they got more requests they might actually do it. Here is the reply I got:-

Thank you for contacting us.

We are very pleased to receive your suggestion for our brand. It inspires us to continue providing high quality objects and pursue the satisfaction of our customers with renewed passion.

Please consider that your feedback has already been forwarded to our department in charge, since we always want to offer the best experience ever to all our customers.

We remain at your complete disposal for any future needs.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penrivers

• Bo Bo Olson

• senzen

• miwishi63

The punchline, of course, is that Moleskine is one of the less fountain-pen-friendly journals.

Hah! Indeed. Long live Clairefontaine! That’s what I say. Top quality paper, stylishly arranged at a reasonable price and schoolkid could afford

Moleskine is a great ball point paper...why should they change....coating a paper costs money....costs bonus money.

I was so glad I came to the com when I got back to fountain pens a decade or so ago.......way back when....all the teachers I knew raved about Moleskine.....the paper Hemingway wrote on??? Or was that the paper he typed on.....not really; that company died not long after Hemingway....the name was bought up, and marketed ..... could be Hemingway wrote in pencil????

I was very glad I never bought any............I'm sure there is cheaper ball pen paper.

Extra skinny Japanese nibs, extra dry Pelikan 4001 BB ink....and one has a chance it won't bleed through...............................some insist on using that poor paper because the note book is 'well organized'. :wallbash:

Leuchtturm notebook is better than Moleskine....but not all that great from my reading.

...........what should be good is Red&Black notebook, in it uses Oxford Optic 90g paper......a very good economical shading paper as good as Clairefontaine Veloute`. Veloute is different than Triomphe, cheaper. Both Velote` and Optic are worth buying.....but if one has to have a notebook see if the Red & Black does what you want...............it has a good paper.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I salute your initiative but it's like asking for gourmet food from McDonald's. Plus with a Clairefontaine you can look down on hipsters for being so clueless.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Cynical response: If they actually manufacture a "fountain pen friendly" version they'll charge a premium for it.

Still, I can't help hoping they'll actually do it...

Hemingway used to write wth pencils in wood cases indeed. That is just an answer letter from Moleskine company truth is they are expensives ones, bad glued and stitcheds, and horrendous paper at least in México, I buy my chinese journals in Walmart, beautifuls.

You can't press down as hard as you want on Moleskine paper just to prove it isn't FP friendly.

Actually you can, and many do, just to prove a point they feel is important... :(

This reads like typical PR language (= "bla bla"). And Hemingway certainly had nothing to do with the brand Moleskine, which hit the market in 1997 when poor Ernest had been eaten by the worms since more than three decades.

Seriously, if I would be them, I wouldn't change the terribly FP unfriendly paper for such a small bunch of weirdos who insist to write with such an unfashionable thing like a fountain pen. ;) I leave the brand to those who will write much better texts because they use the same notebook Hemingway (never) used. I've bought many no-name notebooks, which performed way better with fountain pens.

I find the Moleskines not too bad. I had a supply before I got into FPs again - I got a stock of the 1st ones when they were in the post Xmas sales years ago.

The paper works fine with Quink, Platinum, MB black and S T Dupont. My P51s, Century #3776 and MB do OK.

Wetter inks won't work, but as always it is about selecting the correct paper, pen & ink combination. I'm using one for my daily practise page for writing - and have no complaints.

I agree, the Leuchturrm is much better, as is the Oxford stuff - which can also be found in Oxford's own branded Campus journals - as well as the Black & Red stuff. The Oxford/Black & Red is often discounted in the UK.

There is a rather negative thread on Moleskine in the Paper and Pen Paraphernalia forum here. I mention it here, not because of the negativity, but because one of the posts mentions Cult Pens selling a new type of Moleskine bullet journal which is supposedly fountain pen friendly.

Personally, although my experience using Moleskines with fountain pens is not as bad as many people's around here, there are other brands which I greatly prefer. It would be nice if they did come out with the journal that you suggested, but I'm afraid I wouldn't support it by buying one. I wish you luck though.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I have old Moleskine stock, I bought them about 10yrs ago and they are ok with fountain pens and an awful lot better than one I bought about a year ago. Penny for penny their quality makes them very poor alternatives to the GLP Author which uses Tomoe River paper and is a really nice well made notebook.

I've also had good results with notebooks from both Muji & Tiger (aka Flying Tiger) so I won't be buying Moleskine not when there are better alternatives.

Al

Moleskine Passion notebooks are not always available in all their versions everywhere, the ones for books are not easy to find in some countries. In the stores, they say that is not enough demand for them. I don't think that one special for Fountain Pens will be the best seller.

"""which can also be found in Oxford's own branded Campus journals :thumbup: (good to know in I like Oxford Optic 90g papers in spiral notebooks)- as well as the Black & Red stuff. The Oxford/Black & Red is often discounted in the UK.""""

Oxford Optic is a good inexpensive paper for shading inks. So is Clairefontaine Veloute` it's match. If I lived up north in Frankfurt I could get Optic, but in Heidelberg, Veloute is available. I buy spiral notebooks..........not journals but it's good to know if I want one.

I still have a couple of those grand cloth covered US Government binder book/journals, from back in the Golden Age of Paper. Well worth hunting for if one wants to journal. Just wished I'd really stocked up on them, instead of saying 2-3 was enough.

Being old fashioned I tend to save postage and buy in stores. Saves all sorts of money too, in one has to go into town to spend it. :bunny01:

Town has become dangerous, there is a Dunken Donuts at the train station, just two blocks into the main street...not far from the B&M is fresh chocolate chip cookies at Subways. 5 Guys has or will open soon. .....dither, dither...a hamburger or ink. :wallbash:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Clairefontaine, Rhodia, MD, Fieldnotes, Darkstar, Leuchtturm, Silvine. Ciak, Tomoe, ................. and the list goes on. I too doubt that Mr Moleskine will be making one especially for us.

edit:grammar

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I wasnt sure where to post this so move it if you need to.

This week I discovered that Moleskine have brought out Passion Journals with various topics like travel and wine.

I contacted them and suggested that they bring out a journal for fountain pen collectors, on fp friendly paper.

So I thought that if they got more requests they might actually do it. Here is the reply I got:-

Thank you for contacting us.

We are very pleased to receive your suggestion for our brand. It inspires us to continue providing high quality objects and pursue the satisfaction of our customers with renewed passion.

Please consider that your feedback has already been forwarded to our department in charge, since we always want to offer the best experience ever to all our customers.

We remain at your complete disposal for any future needs.

This is just marketing bla. Sorry.

I buy my chinese journals in Walmart, beautifuls.

Which ones??

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

fpn_1554511765__67uio_koko_1_copy.jpg

Pseudo88: in the left side over the keyboard a moleskine journal on it 3 moleskine notebooks very bad stitched, in the right some no names chinesse journal from Walmart. Really fine cheap journals, I dont write in them they dont cost moe than 10 dollars.

Comparing softcover Moleskine Cahiers (single signature stiched, sold in sets of three as they are so small) to hardbound (multiple signature) journals seems a bit unfair. At least make the comparison with a hardbound Moleskine journal format.

I use the smaller cahier format in my vehicles -- gasoline/service log. Not much space in a motorcycle for anything bigger.