• fpupulin

• sansenri

• como

• RubenDh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sort of nice, although sort of odd for a Stipula,

but I may get used to it :)

I can see the trend however, as I already mentioned, getting us to pay the same sum for a resin pen (although a nice resin) instead of celluloid...

I can't see much we can do about it (except stop buying these pens... any chance we'll do that?... :rolleyes:)

I love Jonathon Brooks' Primary Manipulation resins, and I love the facetted Etrurias. But my first impression of the combination is not positive. I may just be an Etruria traditionalist. 

i reserve the right to change my mind. It happens.

David

1 minute ago, dms525 said:

I love Jonathon Brooks' Primary Manipulation resins, and I love the facetted Etrurias. But my first impression of the combination is not positive. I may just be an Etruria traditionalist. 

i reserve the right to change my mind. It happens.

David

:D

curious to see how long you will resist... :)

the Novelli versions look good in the meantime...

Just now, sansenri said:

:D

curious to see how long you will resist... :)

the Novelli versions look good in the meantime...

I look at the current prices, and I rejoice that I bought my Etrurias when I did (at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost now being asked). I haven't yet checked Emy's site for the cost of the PM facetted Etruria, but, if my expectation is accurate, I seriously doubt I will be buying one.

David

I share your considerations... most of my celluloid Stipulas were bought cheaper than current resin versions too...

I still prefer the Miele faceted to this(even more so consider the price difference of 170 euro), might just go for Miele since I still have a small amount of loyalty discount at Giardino and like that material. Although I don't have that many celluloid Stipulas, the few I got are still much less than today's prices. Current celluloid prices are pretty much out of the range that I am comfortable to spend on any pen.

And since it is photo thread I should post a pic to make up for my messages without picturesIMG_20210920_103300_1.thumb.jpg.d85e27c66e2be8607d2329dd8d05fa12.jpg

On 9/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, RubenDh said:

Stipula-Primary-Manipulation-Psychedelic

Some pictures taken from the website (I prefer to have pictures in this thread instead of links)

This one looks like classy grandpa going partying in a Hawaiian shirt 😀. I have to get used to it... I kind of like it!

On 9/20/2021 at 7:34 PM, zchen said:

And since it is photo thread I should post a pic to make up for my messages without picturesIMG_20210920_103300_1.thumb.jpg.d85e27c66e2be8607d2329dd8d05fa12.jpg

Very nice faceted Alter Ego!

Mhhhh, I do not know… I do not want discussing the commercial policies by the different brands, but I agree with zchen that prices over thousand dollars for a pen make me feel really uncomfortable. 
We are somewhat pushed to think that 600-700 dollars is the right price for a pen in plastic with a gold nib, and that celluloid requires a premium that almost doubles the price.

I see that Santini, in Italy, may produce a plastic pen with gold nib, and have a revenue, for 300 dollars. Faceted, nonagonal pens in more selected materials, like ebonite, command a price of 600 dollars. Apparently, this is possible.

I do not buy Santini pens because they are too big for my tastes, but the point is that a western (not Chinese) factory is able to manage a small ptoduction in a range of prices that is grossly half what we are sadly becoming used to see and accept as normal.

I do not foresee new Stipula pens every time soon in my future at the current prices…

@fpupulin I agree with you that the prices are very high and pushing limit of current price tolerance for acrylic/gold nib/piston fountain pens for average potential buyers of this segment. Amusingly it reminds me of how inflation works in general: Certain segment has price increase due to increased demand, which in turn pushes prices from other segments higher too, first in similar segments, then in general. I feel that Omas celluloid pens made Stipula want to try increase their celluloid and later non-celluloid pen prices too. Let’s see how well market is taking it.