Stipula Etruria Photo Thread

fpupulin

On 12/22/2020 at 10:00 PM, como said:

@wimg: I read your comments with great curiosity and enthusiasm. Fascinating! To learn and discover such details is a big part of the pen fun for me. So many thanks for your inputs. You must have had almost every model Stipula produced, wow, 65 is a lot for a single brand! Btw, after reading @sansenri and your comments, I took out my celluloid pens and sniffed them all 😀. The only one that still has a rather strong camphor smell is one of cellulose nitrate material made rather recently. The rest are all rather indescribable and non-intrusive now. On a side note, though some would be eager to disagree, I think having 65 on a single brand qualifies you to be a collector 😏.

Thank you!

Did you smell the inside of the cap? Mine all still have some smell :).

I actually have well less than half of all Etrurias ever produced, if not way less than half by now.

There were some predecessors of the Etruria which I would like to lay may hands on some day, but you rarely see them. The most interesting one is a green celluloid Stipula which actually looks exactly like an Etruria, well before the name even existed :).

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• sansenri

• como

• RubenDh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, wimg said:

:)

And I bought my last Etruria actually already over 10 years ago :).

I was gifted 1 more since then, however, I just realized, and 2 other ones :).

Warm regards, Wim

Thank you Wim and the collectors who have shared your amazing experience. My one 'Stipula' pen is related but not an Etruria or an Idra. I would love to see either one for sale in my country.

I have a 1996/97 Stipula/Nettuno Superba in the middle # of the 911 edition. 

I would like ask have you ever had contact with Stipula about finding supporting documents. The hand written letter of Marina Vecchietti '85th Anniversary' is missing. There is only an English translation.  

Have collectors shared information about provenance documents?

πTom

On 12/20/2020 at 10:01 PM, sansenri said:

great info, fabri00! I was late reading this, but not late on the Melozzo da Forlì! (we are straying slightly OT, but unavoidable...), do you remember the name of the shop?

This pen is in celluloid acetate, btw.

322007920_P1160594-3StipulaMelozzodaForl.thumb.jpg.27251893ea724433faa2a23e3b75992b.jpg

Sorry, I read your question only this morning.

Yes, I knew very well the shop, wich was in my hometown, as well as I knew well the owner.

I'll send you a private message.

My father and I are somewhat fountain pen geeks. Every so often he sends one my way that really catches his eye. A couple years ago (how many? I can't remember) I told him that I really enjoy the feel of wooden fountain pens. He spent a while scouring the web and came up with the pen that I have attached pictures of and gifted it to me for Christmas.

My collection is by no means as large as some of the ones I see here, but I do have a couple decent pens. This one, however, is my favorite by far. I love the feel of the wooden pen in my hand. It's quite heavy and, actually, very large. Despite this, I've never actually used it. I think perhaps it seems more expensive than the rest of my collection, so I have avoided it thus far. I just kind of open it up and appreciate it every once in a while. I tell myself that if I do something big in life, like sign a mortgage or a marriage license, maybe that will be worth of this pen. I don't know...

I would love to know more about it. I haven't been able to turn up too much information. I did find an old expired listing on a luxury pen site, but not much else. My understanding is that it's an Etruria because it says as much on the certificate of authenticity in the box. It's also numbered 13/18. I think that the clip and band are silver, since they seem to have tarnished some in the years since it was gifted to me. 

If anyone has any more information into its origins or whether or not this is actually an Etruria pen, I would love to hear it.

etruria1.thumb.jpg.cb14d74929490c6933f76004ca2d0882.jpg

etruria2.thumb.jpg.06ef849ac6eeda8a56fed604f67ce082.jpg

etruria4.thumb.jpg.60c732dda082274f5098b16f0ba368ea.jpg

7 hours ago, shmeebs said:

My father and I are somewhat fountain pen geeks. Every so often he sends one my way that really catches his eye. A couple years ago (how many? I can't remember) I told him that I really enjoy the feel of wooden fountain pens. He spent a while scouring the web and came up with the pen that I have attached pictures of and gifted it to me for Christmas.

My collection is by no means as large as some of the ones I see here, but I do have a couple decent pens. This one, however, is my favorite by far. I love the feel of the wooden pen in my hand. It's quite heavy and, actually, very large. Despite this, I've never actually used it. I think perhaps it seems more expensive than the rest of my collection, so I have avoided it thus far. I just kind of open it up and appreciate it every once in a while. I tell myself that if I do something big in life, like sign a mortgage or a marriage license, maybe that will be worth of this pen. I don't know...

I would love to know more about it. I haven't been able to turn up too much information. I did find an old expired listing on a luxury pen site, but not much else. My understanding is that it's an Etruria because it says as much on the certificate of authenticity in the box. It's also numbered 13/18. I think that the clip and band are silver, since they seem to have tarnished some in the years since it was gifted to me. 

If anyone has any more information into its origins or whether or not this is actually an Etruria pen, I would love to hear it.

etruria2.thumb.jpg.06ef849ac6eeda8a56fed604f67ce082.jpg

etruria4.thumb.jpg.60c732dda082274f5098b16f0ba368ea.jpg

Oh yes, it is a Stipula Etruria alright. I was shown a prototype a bunch of years ago, and I also know only very few were made (18, apart from the prototype :)).

Lovely pen, and it is made to be used ....

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

8 hours ago, shmeebs said:

A truly magnificent pen, made more speciale for being a gift from your dad...

I never saw a wooden Etruria before, but it looks amazing!

Very nice, I've read about this pen somewhere that I do not recall now, however I recall it was mentioned the section is covered in an impermeable material so that ink will not stain the wood when you fill it.

The nib seems to be a Titatinum nib from the pictures, which does have some flex, so it might be a new experience for you. Go easy on it when you will use it, titanium nibs need a light hand.

I'm not 100% sure but this may be a limited edition for Chatterley Luxuries, in olive wood, if I recall.

Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I definitely cherish it because of its origins (from my father) and because I just appreciate the aesthetics of the pen. I hope someday soon I will manage to fit into my daily rotation. 

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

Very nice, I've read about this pen somewhere that I do not recall now, however I recall it was mentioned the section is covered in an impermeable material so that ink will not stain the wood when you fill it.

The nib seems to be a Titatinum nib from the pictures, which does have some flex, so it might be a new experience for you. Go easy on it when you will use it, titanium nibs need a light hand.

I'm not 100% sure but this may be a limited edition for Chatterley Luxuries, in olive wood, if I recall.

This a good lead. I think Chatterley Luxuries is the website I saw the expired listing on... Also thanks for the advice, it is indeed a titanium nib. I'll be sure to use it lightly when the time comes.

@shmeebs: A very beautiful Etruria made of olive wood, and very special from your father. Perhaps you can use it towards your goals. When you achieve one, you can buy another pen to celebrate it! 😀

The pattern and texture of olive wood is really nice. I am fond of wood as a pen material but I was always worried about the extra maintenance and possible damage. I finally got the courage to order a hand-made Rosewood pen from Japan recently (still to arrive this summer). I was told that wood doesn't like too hot, too humid, too dry, and that it should be oiled once in a while (using linseed oil for example). I would love to hear from anyone who has experience using and maintaining wood pens. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just joined the Stipula Etruria club

Stipula Etruria Magnifica cartridge converter in the Miele Selvatico , with the t-flex nib.

IMG_20210115_202824387~2.jpg

12 hours ago, elkoko_pen said:

Just joined the Stipula Etruria club

Stipula Etruria Magnifica cartridge converter in the Miele Selvatico , with the t-flex nib.

IMG_20210115_202824387~2.jpg

Congratulations on your new pen. These are really really stunning!

Which nib did you choose? :)

13 hours ago, RubenDh said:

Which nib did you choose? :)

The gold plated titanium t-flex. Not generally a flex person, but it is the nib i thought best matched the matte trim.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:31 AM, elkoko_pen said:

The gold plated titanium t-flex. Not generally a flex person, but it is the nib i thought best matched the matte trim.

How do you like the nib? I have the same pen with the V-flex nib and I find I it generally mars my impression of this otherwise wonderful pen.  I'm pondering swapping it for a non-flex nib, but the t-flex would also be an option.... 

Thanks

19 hours ago, Aloha Pens said:

How do you like the nib? I have the same pen with the V-flex nib and I find I it generally mars my impression of this otherwise wonderful pen.  I'm pondering swapping it for a non-flex nib, but the t-flex would also be an option.... 

Thanks

I don’t really have any issues with the nib, but i know that others have had issues with theirs. I use it as a non-flex nib, and don’t attempt to use any of it’s flex properties , yet.

It sometimes hard starts if i have not used it for a few days, but generally only on the first letter. After that, no issues.

I don’t seem to have the ink starvation issues or skipping that i have read about. Maybe i am lucky. Maybe the QC has improved ?

Edited by elkoko_pen

On 1/16/2021 at 12:31 PM, elkoko_pen said:

Beautiful pen and quite affordable too. I prefer this combination too, the t-flex for the matte trim.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:11 AM, elkoko_pen said:

I don’t really have any issues with the nib, but i know that others have had issues with theirs. I use it as a non-flex nib, and don’t attempt to use any of it’s flex properties , yet.

It sometimes hard starts if i have not used it for a few days, but generally only on the first letter. After that, no issues.

I have a steel, stub nib on my Stipula Miele Selvatico. Even though it is not a wet nib in any way, it never get me any problem with skipping or hard starts. Simply, I would prefer it a wetter nib, but it works. 

Agree with como, the Miele Selvatico is a beautiful pen, made with a very intriguing kind of plastic. And the price is not outrageous!

On 1/19/2021 at 4:11 AM, elkoko_pen said:

I don’t seem to have the ink starvation issues or skipping that i have read about. Maybe i am lucky. Maybe the QC has improved ?

I just got some replacement nibs from Giardino and replaced my V-flex with a F nib. It's a much nicer writing experience. I also got an M, haven't tried that one yet.

-scot

In other Etruria news, I got my Etruria Corsani pen back from the factory via Yafa. I sent it to them for warranty repair as the clip was never secure in the pen.  Not only did Yafa not send me my hand-made PVC pen container back (and I knew that was a likely possibility, so OK), but the clip, although secure, is not well aligned at all.  Am I being too picky here? Is there anything you think I can ask of Yafa to remedy this? Very disappointed in their service. (They also tried to charge me for the repair until I reminded them it was warranty work, then still proceeded to charge for return shipping - without my container!)

On the good side, the pen writes even better now!

Thanks,

scot

PXL_20210125_215642310.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been following this thread for a while and always admire the beauty of each pen posted. I joined the Faceted Etruria club today when these beauties arrived. The Champagne version is new from Pen Venture, and the Rosso Verde is pre-owned. I’ve also gone ahead and ordered a Cracked Ice version from Pen Venture already... 

Keep those Etruria pics coming!  

E31ED3B5-499A-418D-89A6-FFA28DA978D1.jpeg

6 hours ago, dominicmcc said:

I’ve been following this thread for a while and always admire the beauty of each pen posted. I joined the Faceted Etruria club today when these beauties arrived. The Champagne version is new from Pen Venture, and the Rosso Verde is pre-owned. I’ve also gone ahead and ordered a Cracked Ice version from Pen Venture already... 

Keep those Etruria pics coming!  

E31ED3B5-499A-418D-89A6-FFA28DA978D1.jpeg

What an absolute stunning set of pens! Congratulations!

I love what Emy (from Pen Venture) has been doing with Stipula.

I'd love it if Stipula released an affordable range of (resin) Facetted Etruria pens :)