Stipula Etruria Photo Thread

fpupulin

On 10/31/2020 at 9:23 AM, RubenDh said:

Yes, absolutely! The red/brown/gold celluloid can be identified from miles away ;)

The Etruria you have is a "media", so the full name of your pen would be "Stipula Etruria Media Ambre"

I found many beautiful pictures - including a comparison with a regular sized Etruria ambre - on this forum thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/140872-stipula-amber-options/page-2

Thank you for the info and links. It looks pretty interesting in-person than the photo it reminds me of Omas celluloid materials. 

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• sansenri

• como

• RubenDh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This a Stipula Etruria limited edition "Leon Battista Alberti", Italic nib.

I find the nib too demanding for everyday writing, therefore I use this pen less than I would like.

Do you have suggestions for a replacement nib?

I would like to try a modern flex.

The nib size is a standard #6.

Stipula_Leon_Battista_Alberti_92_183.png

On 5/8/2020 at 6:35 PM, sansenri said:

a closer picture of my Alter Ego shown earlier

you are right Franco, this celluloid looks quite different from the others

fpn_1588980432__p1190440-3_stipula_etrur

although admittedly, the one that looks really different is the dark blue-grey celluloid presumably called Blue Ocean shown earlier by gmax

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/345203-stipula-etruria-photo-thread/page-3?do=findComment&comment=4191623

this pen has a sort of fishbone pattern inside the celluloid which makes it very peculiar

I recently bought one of these with a fine nib. It writes very nicely, but the nib dries out rather quickly when the pen is not used. A quick dip in water gets it going again. I have it inked with Taccia Koiame, which matches the color of the celluloid closely and shades nicely.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

15 hours ago, Luigi_Moccia said:

I find the nib too demanding for everyday writing, therefore I use this pen less than I would like.

What a great beautful pen. Thank you for adding it to this thread.

As for the nib, I have a trade offer for you :) I send you a private message.

14 hours ago, jmccarty3 said:

I recently bought one of these with a fine nib. It writes very nicely, but the nib dries out rather quickly when the pen is not used. A quick dip in water gets it going again. I have it inked with Taccia Koiame, which matches the color of the celluloid closely and shades nicely.

I haven't had this issue with my Alter Ego. Perhaps you could try writing with your pen with another kind of ink?

On 9/26/2020 at 12:08 PM, fabri00 said:

Grazie fpupulin.

The ebonite one was in memory of Silvestro Lega, 1826-1895.

The second was in memory of Melozzo da Forlì 1438-1494.

The pens were commisionated to Stipula from a local pen shop. The owner was a good friend and one of the sources of my pens, and I bought those LE from him.

At that time Stipula and few years earlier also Visconti were at the beginning of the activity.

great info, fabri00! I was late reading this, but not late on the Melozzo da Forlì! (we are straying slightly OT, but unavoidable...), do you remember the name of the shop?

This pen is in celluloid acetate, btw.

322007920_P1160594-3StipulaMelozzodaForl.thumb.jpg.27251893ea724433faa2a23e3b75992b.jpg

On 12/19/2020 at 6:44 PM, Luigi_Moccia said:

Welcome, Luigi (if this is your first post it might be nice if you introduced yourself in the "Introductions" section).

Yours is rather an odd question, the pen is beautiful, clearly in celluloid and an LE. If I were to say that it's too demanding for an everyday writer, I'd say it's the pen, not the nib! :)

I can see from the picture it's a Stipula nib, I assume 14k.
What do you find demanding in it? (what size is it, by the way?)

If I were to replace the nib on such a beautiful pen I would make sure to get a Stipula nib of my liking (not to change the character and value of such a rare pen), probably I'd go for a gold one.

I think Stipula is making some flex nibs recently (V-flex, t-flex, sti-flex -  I believe respectively steel, titanium, gold), so I'd ask a reputable seller to let me try one...

Trying a Sti-flex might set you 250 euro though... while the V-flex will certainly be more affordable.

28 minutes ago, sansenri said:

This pen is in celluloid acetate, btw.

322007920_P1160594-3StipulaMelozzodaForl.thumb.jpg.27251893ea724433faa2a23e3b75992b.jpg

@sansenri: You brought up an interesting topic. I don't remember exactly now, but I read somewhere in a Stipula booklet that came with the pen box that Stipula produced series of Etruria style pen in c/c filling system that were made of cellulose acetate (I don't have the booklet). As Stipula produced the Etruria model in several different sizes and filling system, I am not clear which ones are cellulose acetate. Could the Ambra be cellulose acetate? I remember the booklet had a photo of the Ambra in it. Previously I thought they were either celluloid or resin. Btw, this material is very beautiful with green and purple, regardless of the actual material. 

On 10/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, dturner said:

Have just come across this thread. Thank you for enriching my knowledge of the lovely Etruria. I have 4 of these - the standard dark brown /reddish one (forget the name), a Volterra, an Alterego and an LE version called an Amalfi. Below are links to some substandard photos. Apologies but I am unable to share the actual photos for some reason.

https://photobucket.com/u/dougABT/p/bb1bdf07-d486-40f5-a2d8-02f4bd86b3aa

The Amalfi is resin, not celluloid, but is very attractive nonetheless. I thought I should post this as it does not seem to have been mentioned. I can't remember where I acquired it from.
I also have a couple of Etruria -like Mercury's. They are not of the same quality as the Stipulas and I was rather disappointed when I first got them many moons ago. One has a Tibaldi nib and the other an anonymous nib. Neither are the quality of the old Tibaldis or the Stipulas.

Will try and improve my photo and posting skills.

VBW doug

Your comment does not match my experience, the Mercury pens were made by Stipula using the Tibaldi celluloids.

They also use some of the Tibaldi ware, the clips, the rings. The shapes also are more Tibaldi than Stipula.

Stipula actually made some of the later Tibaldi pens, before they quit.

Possibly you may have been unluckly with the ones you have come to own.

I have a few of the Mercury pens and they are every bit as beautiful and beautifully crafted as other celluloid Stipulas, in fact, I sort of consider them to be Stipula pens.

large.1399278603_P1170368-3StipulaforMercuryLESaffronsmall.jpg.11af2723f5046a40e3f3e741650c0b76.jpg

9 minutes ago, como said:

@sansenri: You brought up an interesting topic. I don't remember exactly now, but I read somewhere in a Stipula booklet that came with the pen box that Stipula produced series of Etruria style pen in c/c filling system that were made of cellulose acetate (I don't have the booklet). As Stipula produced the Etruria model in several different sizes and filling system, I am not clear which ones are cellulose acetate. Could the Ambra be cellulose acetate? I remember the booklet had a photo of the Ambra in it. Previously I thought they were either celluloid or resin. Btw, this material is very beautiful with green and purple, regardless of the actual material. 

Hi como, no, the Ambra is celluloid nitrate to my knowledge.

Stipula has certainly used cellulose acetate in some pens, but it is difficult to trace.

The Melozzo da Forlì is celluloid acetate, it might even be that the graphite is acetate, but as far as I recall it is resin.

Some of the smaller size Etrurias (CC fillers all of them) might have been made in acetate, but there are not many around of those. I do not really have sure knowledge on this part...

12 hours ago, sansenri said:

Hi como, no, the Ambra is celluloid nitrate to my knowledge.

Stipula has certainly used cellulose acetate in some pens, but it is difficult to trace.

The Melozzo da Forlì is celluloid acetate, it might even be that the graphite is acetate, but as far as I recall it is resin.

Some of the smaller size Etrurias (CC fillers all of them) might have been made in acetate, but there are not many around of those. I do not really have sure knowledge on this part...

@sansenri: The smaller size with c/c is what I meant, regarding whether it’s cellulose acetate or cellulose nitrate (celluloid). I wish I had taken a photo of that Stipula booklet. I also found an old thread on FPN which our mighty webmaster Wim also contributed: 

Apparently Stipula Ambra can be both acetate and celluloid... oh I am even more confused!

@wimg: I hope that you don’t mind me calling you our webmaster. Is this the correct name? Anyway, we do appreciate very much your work! Would you mind sharing your knowledge on the Stipula Ambra please?

Regardless of the material, I find Ambra very earthy, warm and attractive, and I really cannot tell the difference, though I also have not had a chance to see them closeup in person.

19 hours ago, sansenri said:

Welcome, Luigi (if this is your first post it might be nice if you introduced yourself in the "Introductions" section).

Yours is rather an odd question, the pen is beautiful, clearly in celluloid and an LE. If I were to say that it's too demanding for an everyday writer, I'd say it's the pen, not the nib! :)

I can see from the picture it's a Stipula nib, I assume 14k.
What do you find demanding in it? (what size is it, by the way?)

If I were to replace the nib on such a beautiful pen I would make sure to get a Stipula nib of my liking (not to change the character and value of such a rare pen), probably I'd go for a gold one.

I think Stipula is making some flex nibs recently (V-flex, t-flex, sti-flex -  I believe respectively steel, titanium, gold), so I'd ask a reputable seller to let me try one...

Trying a Sti-flex might set you 250 euro though... while the V-flex will certainly be more affordable.

Dear @sansenri,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the nib it's 14k and its size is 1.1 mm.

I realized that stubs are not my cup of tea, and now prefer finer nibs.

I've a Sailor 1911 with a zoom nib that gives me the occasionally required broad lines (for example for signatures) while being still usable for everyday writing.

This pen with this nib just doesn't get the use that it deserves.

I've agreed to a swap with another owner of Stipula pens.

When the swap we'll be done I'll post pics of this pen second "life"!

7 hours ago, como said:

@sansenri: The smaller size with c/c is what I meant, regarding whether it’s cellulose acetate or cellulose nitrate (celluloid). I wish I had taken a photo of that Stipula booklet. I also found an old thread on FPN which our mighty webmaster Wim also contributed: 

Apparently Stipula Ambra can be both acetate and celluloid... oh I am even more confused!

@wimg: I hope that you don’t mind me calling you our webmaster. Is this the correct name? Anyway, we do appreciate very much your work! Would you mind sharing your knowledge on the Stipula Ambra please?

Regardless of the material, I find Ambra very earthy, warm and attractive, and I really cannot tell the difference, though I also have not had a chance to see them closeup in person.

Usually it's the smell that gives the material away, cellulose nitrate smells of camphor, usually the odour is stronger inside the cap.

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

Usually it's the smell that gives the material away, cellulose nitrate smells of camphor, usually the odour is stronger inside the cap.

@sansenriOf course! But I can't do that: buying a big Stipula Ambra AND a small Stipula Ambra and trying to sniff them at home 😀😀. Because if I do that, I will have finally crossed that line and officially become a true pen weirdo in my family! That's why I have to pretend to be normal and ask you here😀.

19 hours ago, kazoolaw said:

An aside:  does Stipula stock replacements for the captive converter in the Etruria 991?

No, they were sol dout about 10 years or so ago. However, you can use a normal converter instead, although that means unscrewing the barrel each time.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

As to the request to share my knowledge of the acetate vs nitrate pens: the earlier Etrurias were all nitrate, but that was replaced with acetate later on. IOW, the early Ambras were indeed nitrate (I have a few of those :)), as well as the mid size one. This is also true for some of the early black celluloid ones. The Amber ones were called Amber Grande, actually, and there is a silver trim and gold trim variant. The black version came with silver trim. For both there is also a Media model, a smaller one, which is a C/C version rather than the piston fillers the others are. There are to my knowledge 2 amber medias, slightly different in shape and size. and 1 black Media. All of these are nitrate.

When we did the FPN Stipula LEs, I actually visited the factory for a couple of days, which was great, and I found out a lot about the pens, which I did not write down in any detail of course - and I regret that to this day :).

Anyway, after the Ambras and such only rarely was nitrate used, as they did find it shrank a lot with time, even after processing the material to prevent that from happening.

Even so, occasionaly nitrate was used, if they found a batch of this lovely material. Often in very limited numbers, though, as those were batches of leftover materials quite often. The Santa Fe X LE is such an example, of which they also made the Fiesole versions, and apparently the Mercury pictured a bit higher up :) - same celluloid. Many of the brand companies mentioend above stopped having their pens made by Stipula, because they found them to be to expensive when the market started shrinking after 2008, and often had their pens made in China thereafter ....

The difference in smell between acetate and nitrate versions of celluloid is not that big, BTW. De acetate versions smell very similar, but perhaps a tad more acidic, and less strong.

As to Tibaldi: for a few years Stipula made the pens for Tibaldi indeed, they did Mercury as well, and Conklin, especially the mark Twain crescent fillers, and not to forget, a bunch of Pineider pens. In addition Stipula often did LEs for a variety of companies, both pen companies as well as for companies who'sd want a luxury commemorative pen, or luxury promotional gifts. Or, like we did, an LE for our pen community here :).

And as you may know, that Tibaldi celluloid was used for the FPH Majestic Indian Nights LE :).

Personally, I own 65 Stipulas, of which 52 are Etrurias. I really stopped collecting them, or rather hoarding them, after I realized I could never keep up with all models at the rate they were coming out, and in very small quantities as well ... :) Since I am a fountain pen user rather than a collector, that does make sense in any case :).

Anyway, that is about all the time I have currently. Maybe more at a later stage :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

3 hours ago, wimg said:

As to the request to share my knowledge of the acetate vs nitrate pens: the earlier Etrurias were all nitrate, but that was replaced with acetate later on. IOW, the early Ambras were indeed nitrate (I have a few of those :)), as well as the mid size one. This is also true for some of the early black celluloid ones. The Amber ones were called Amber Grande, actually, and there is a silver trim and gold trim variant. The black version came with silver trim. For both there is also a Media model, a smaller one, which is a C/C version rather than the piston fillers the others are. There are to my knowledge 2 amber medias, slightly different in shape and size. and 1 black Media. All of these are nitrate.

When we did the FPN Stipula LEs, I actually visited the factory for a couple of days, which was great, and I found out a lot about the pens, which I did not write down in any detail of course - and I regret that to this day :).

Anyway, after the Ambras and such only rarely was nitrate used, as they did find it shrank a lot with time, even after processing the material to prevent that from happening.

Even so, occasionaly nitrate was used, if they found a batch of this lovely material. Often in very limited numbers, though, as those were batches of leftover materials quite often. The Santa Fe X LE is such an example, of which they also made the Fiesole versions, and apparently the Mercury pictured a bit higher up :) - same celluloid. Many of the brand companies mentioend above stopped having their pens made by Stipula, because they found them to be to expensive when the market started shrinking after 2008, and often had their pens made in China thereafter ....

The difference in smell between acetate and nitrate versions of celluloid is not that big, BTW. De acetate versions smell very similar, but perhaps a tad more acidic, and less strong.

As to Tibaldi: for a few years Stipula made the pens for Tibaldi indeed, they did Mercury as well, and Conklin, especially the mark Twain crescent fillers, and not to forget, a bunch of Pineider pens. In addition Stipula often did LEs for a variety of companies, both pen companies as well as for companies who'sd want a luxury commemorative pen, or luxury promotional gifts. Or, like we did, an LE for our pen community here :).

And as you may know, that Tibaldi celluloid was used for the FPH Majestic Indian Nights LE :).

Personally, I own 65 Stipulas, of which 52 are Etrurias. I really stopped collecting them, or rather hoarding them, after I realized I could never keep up with all models at the rate they were coming out, and in very small quantities as well ... :) Since I am a fountain pen user rather than a collector, that does make sense in any case :).

Anyway, that is about all the time I have currently. Maybe more at a later stage :).

Warm regards, Wim

@wimg: I read your comments with great curiosity and enthusiasm. Fascinating! To learn and discover such details is a big part of the pen fun for me. So many thanks for your inputs. You must have had almost every model Stipula produced, wow, 65 is a lot for a single brand! Btw, after reading @sansenri and your comments, I took out my celluloid pens and sniffed them all 😀. The only one that still has a rather strong camphor smell is one of cellulose nitrate material made rather recently. The rest are all rather indescribable and non-intrusive now. On a side note, though some would be eager to disagree, I think having 65 on a single brand qualifies you to be a collector 😏.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, kazoolaw said:

Wim-

Thanks for your converter reply, and sharing your knowledge about Etrurias.   But 52?  Didn't think you had it that bad!

gary

:)

And I bought my last Etruria actually already over 10 years ago :).

I was gifted 1 more since then, however, I just realized, and 2 other ones :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman