Stipula Etruria Photo Thread

fpupulin

Sansenri: It is good to know the history of Stipula’s use of this “Graphite” material in other pens. Thanks for confirming that it is a resin, not celluloid. My favorite pen material is celluloid, but this one is still really pretty. The pattern of the sparkly, reflective grey areas seems random like a natural material and contrasts nicely with the black. Also, I agree that the Suprema in celluloid is a great pen. Maybe a little less classy than the Etruria, but it’s useful to see the ink in the pen and it is comfortable to hold. I like the clip which looks exactly like the one on my Tibaldi Impero.

I had never seen before an Etruria Graphite (nice by the way!), but Stipula did make a run of Graphite pens quite some time ago.

The Graphite pens are made of grey marbled resin, so not celluloid, and the one Stipula Graphite know to me is the Florentia.

Mine has the sterling ring and a Titanium 1.1 nib.

fpn_1600814158__p1170395-3_stipula_flore

I bought mine quite some time ago, sometime later Chatterley's also had some of these, now out of stock.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• sansenri

• como

• RubenDh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fpupulin: Thank you! My collection focuses on Italian celluloid pens; especially ones with distinctive patterns in earthy colors. When I see one I have never seen before I have a strong urge to add it to my collection. I love to see them all together!

TheFairyCircle, your collection is growing along a beautiful path, both aesthetically and for the rarity of the models. Really stunning!

Sansenri, I confirm my impression that you do not have a pen collection, but a physical encyclopedia of modern, classy fountain pens! Congratulations, and thank you for taking the time to share.

Fabri00: Thank you for the information on the Graphite. It is good to know someone else who has one of these pens and what the pen’s vintage is. Do you remember whether Stipula called this pen an Etruria? Also, your Stipula collection is beautiful. It is wonderful that you have been able to interact with pen shops and producers right near where you live and purchase some rare pens! It is helpful to see the size comparison of your pens. I do not usually post my pens, but I find the Graphite to be more comfortable to use when posted. I think the shape, size and weight of the Graphite feel very nice.

The Stipula of the 80's - 90's I own:

Etruria 343 the smallest of the Etruria, the same Graphite of my previous post and a very rare LE in ebonite, dedicated to a painter died in year 1895. This LE is from 1995 and is the 10th of 100 pens. Size is bigger than Graphite, ring and clip also in silver but very different as design. It was sold in a nice wooden box with the reproduction of a famous paint of this painter. Somewhere I should have keept that box.

fpn_1600976063__p_20200924_212650_p.jpg

fpn_1600976378__p_20200924_212517_p.jpg

The Stipula of the 80's - 90's I own:

Etruria 343 the smallest of the Etruria, the same Graphite of my previous post and a very rare LE in ebonite, dedicated to a painter died in year 1895. This LE is from 1995 and is the 10th of 100 pens. Size is bigger than Graphite, ring and clip also in silver but very different as design. It was sold in a nice wooden box with the reproduction of a famous paint of this painter. Somewhere I should have keept that box.

fpn_1600976063__p_20200924_212650_p.jpg

fpn_1600976378__p_20200924_212517_p.jpg

Now that ebonite Etruria is an interesting one! Considering that it's an "old" model, does it also have a straight section (rather than a concaved one)?

I like the clip which looks exactly like the one on my Tibaldi Impero.

That's an interesting fact too!

I actually have only seen a Tibaldi clip used on the Stipula made and Etruria based "Mercury" fountain pens.

Here is an interesting example:

nHSUOcy.jpg

This is an old Style Etruria with the straight section (similair to the ones Sansenri has already posted in post #53, #54 and #66).

This specific finish is the Tibaldi Rosso Verde, also used in the Etruria Volterra!

The center band reads "L'Union Fait La Force", which is a national Belgian saying. It means "Unity Makes Strength".

Kindly note that this is not my pen, but it meight very well be soon-ish.

I just love the celluloid (I don't have the Rosso Verde material yet), the old style Etruria shape and the Belgian meaning behind it, as I'm a Belgian myself. :) :)

Edited by RubenDh

As for MY etrurias, please allow me to share this picture in direct extreme sunlight.

I find that celluloid shines greatly in such lighting settings!

I've fitted them in my 4 pen case from Van Der Spek, which I got last week:

I've fitted them also with a range of nibs

- a steel 1.1 stub (red inks)

- an 18k broad (green inks)

- an 18k Fine (blue black inks)

- a 14k Ultra Fine (black inks)

FjD7uyI.jpg

Ruben: The pen you are considering buying also has a Tibaldi nib. I wish the photo showed the Mercury imprint on the barrel. This is a very unusual pen. Thanks for showing it! I think I found a review of this pen on FPN: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/68974-mercury-lunion-fait-la-force/?mode=threaded&pid=665477

That's an interesting fact too!

I actually have only seen a Tibaldi clip used on the Stipula made and Etruria based "Mercury" fountain pens.

Here is an interesting example:

nHSUOcy.jpg

This is an old Style Etruria with the straight section (similair to the ones Sansenri has already posted in post #53, #54 and #66).

This specific finish is the Tibaldi Rosso Verde, also used in the Etruria Volterra!

The center band reads "L'Union Fait La Force", which is a national Belgian saying. It means "Unity Makes Strength".

Kindly note that this is not my pen, but it meight very well be soon-ish.

I just love the celluloid (I don't have the Rosso Verde material yet), the old style Etruria shape and the Belgian meaning behind it, as I'm a Belgian myself. :) :)

Edited by TheFairyCircle

• 3 weeks later...

That’s a gorgeous pen in a rare and spectacular material, como!

I guess from where she come from... as I was struggling on her... Unfortunately, I can not import pens here in Costa Rica (not with reasonable, rational custom fees), and the Covid cut my periodical visitis to Italy and abroad, as well as the periodical visits here by colleagues and students.

I am confined in my existing pen-world, and who knows when I will have a chance again to enlarge its boundaries..

Congratulations for your first Etruria, como. I am sure you will find her a formidable pen.

What a great pen, COMO!

Did you know that the honey-like coloured parts of the material is celluloid in it's purest rawest form?

That honey shade is how natural undyed celluloid looks like!

The addition of brown/red flakes really make this stunning!

Here are some pictures of mine, when I had one:

SO7L0vE.jpg

TvxKkaa.jpg

Thank you for your kind words, fpupulin. This was not a planned purchase. I never thought Ambrosia would be my first Stipula. Surely from aesthetics of the celluloid, I initially thought that I would like to get a Fiesole, or Ambra, or Gran Sasso. But of course I was not out hunting for pens everyday. When she became available, suddenly I thought that Ambrosia would look quite unique in my collection. I used to be really into demonstrators, but over time I sold off most of them in favour of celluloid pens. This one looks rather cheerful and in a way reminds me of the autumn leaves falling this time of the year. The nib is a Medium, but writes on the Fine side for Italian pens. The piston is something to get used to, as it turns in opposite direction as a normal piston would. I need a clear mind when I operate the piston :D . By the way, I am sure that you were right about where I got this pen from :) . I hope that you are safe and take pleasure where you are among the beautiful plants. It's crazy here. We are having a really bad second wave! Hope all will be behind us in 2021 and that you can visit again.

That’s a gorgeous pen in a rare and spectacular material, como!

I guess from where she come from... as I was struggling on her... Unfortunately, I can not import pens here in Costa Rica (not with reasonable, rational custom fees), and the Covid cut my periodical visitis to Italy and abroad, as well as the periodical visits here by colleagues and students.

I am confined in my existing pen-world, and who knows when I will have a chance again to enlarge its boundaries..

Congratulations for your first Etruria, como. I am sure you will find her a formidable pen.

Thank you, RubenDh! I remember that you had one in one of the first posts here. I also like very much the natural colour of celluloid. It looks a bit like fresh amber, and I remember seeing a spider or a bug suspended in such amber material when I was a kid, a little souvenir from a science museum given by a relative. Omas made the Black Lucens and Blue Lucens this way too, and they are always fascinating to look at. You've really got some of the most beautiful celluloids with your Stipulas. The pen also surprised me on how comfortable it's held in hand. I will definitely cherish it.

What a great pen, COMO!

Did you know that the honey-like coloured parts of the material is celluloid in it's purest rawest form?

That honey shade is how natural undyed celluloid looks like!

The addition of brown/red flakes really make this stunning!

Here are some pictures of mine, when I had one:

Have just come across this thread. Thank you for enriching my knowledge of the lovely Etruria. I have 4 of these - the standard dark brown /reddish one (forget the name), a Volterra, an Alterego and an LE version called an Amalfi. Below are links to some substandard photos. Apologies but I am unable to share the actual photos for some reason.

https://photobucket.com/u/dougABT/p/bb1bdf07-d486-40f5-a2d8-02f4bd86b3aa

The Amalfi is resin, not celluloid, but is very attractive nonetheless. I thought I should post this as it does not seem to have been mentioned. I can't remember where I acquired it from.
I also have a couple of Etruria -like Mercury's. They are not of the same quality as the Stipulas and I was rather disappointed when I first got them many moons ago. One has a Tibaldi nib and the other an anonymous nib. Neither are the quality of the old Tibaldis or the Stipulas.
Will try and improve my photo and posting skills.
VBW doug

Welcome to the forum and thread, Doug. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

If you go to one of your pictures via the links you provided, right click on the image, and then select "copy image link", you can do the following to post a picture:

click this icon in the reply box, past the image link you just copied from right clicking, and click the OK button.

The image will now be shared directly

I really love the red "volterra" pen, and have been hunting one for a while. It's the current highest pen on my "want-to-get" list ;)

By the way, the dark brown celluloid etruria is called "Ambre"!

Lovely pens.

Best

Ruben

Edited by RubenDh

I had never seen before an Etruria Amalfi, but it looks a terrific pen with those bold streaks of red! Thank you for sharing.

Of course the 'Ambre'. Still my favourite .

Many thanks for the tips re photo posting. I'll do better next time. Not that intuitive!

Can there be any further iterations of the Etruria?

VBW to all

doug

The "Amalfi" resin appears to be one that Conway Stewart also used. In the photobucket photo, it looks a bit like there is some green in it. If so, the resin is a different one. If it is just black and gray with a red ribbon, then it is the same. I have seen it used also by various American custom pen makers.

Here is my CS Wellington in that material, alongside a CS Belliver in "Shingle." What do you think?

2-Belliver Wellington Barrells.jpg

David

Love that CS Wellington.

So difficult to compare and contrast from photos. The CS Wellington resin is similar but I don't think it is identical to the Amalfi resin, which does have a little green in it - according to the Mark 1 human eyeball anyway. Also the red swirls are more discrete and pronounced in the CS almost like an additional layer. Both pens are, however, from the same era - so you never know.

VBW doug

Hello,

I'm wondering if this a Stipula Etrutria Ambra? I'm not sure about the section. Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Hello,

I'm wondering if this a Stipula Etrutria Ambra? I'm not sure about the section. Thanks.

Yes, absolutely! The red/brown/gold celluloid can be identified from miles away ;)

The Etruria you have is a "media", so the full name of your pen would be "Stipula Etruria Media Ambre"

I found many beautiful pictures - including a comparison with a regular sized Etruria ambre - on this forum thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/140872-stipula-amber-options/page-2