• fpupulin

• sansenri

• como

• RubenDh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sort of nice, although sort of odd for a Stipula,

but I may get used to it :)

I can see the trend however, as I already mentioned, getting us to pay the same sum for a resin pen (although a nice resin) instead of celluloid...

I can't see much we can do about it (except stop buying these pens... any chance we'll do that?... :rolleyes:)

I love Jonathon Brooks' Primary Manipulation resins, and I love the facetted Etrurias. But my first impression of the combination is not positive. I may just be an Etruria traditionalist. 

i reserve the right to change my mind. It happens.

David

1 minute ago, dms525 said:

I love Jonathon Brooks' Primary Manipulation resins, and I love the facetted Etrurias. But my first impression of the combination is not positive. I may just be an Etruria traditionalist. 

i reserve the right to change my mind. It happens.

David

:D

curious to see how long you will resist... :)

the Novelli versions look good in the meantime...

Just now, sansenri said:

:D

curious to see how long you will resist... :)

the Novelli versions look good in the meantime...

I look at the current prices, and I rejoice that I bought my Etrurias when I did (at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost now being asked). I haven't yet checked Emy's site for the cost of the PM facetted Etruria, but, if my expectation is accurate, I seriously doubt I will be buying one.

David

I still prefer the Miele faceted to this(even more so consider the price difference of 170 euro), might just go for Miele since I still have a small amount of loyalty discount at Giardino and like that material. Although I don't have that many celluloid Stipulas, the few I got are still much less than today's prices. Current celluloid prices are pretty much out of the range that I am comfortable to spend on any pen.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, RubenDh said:

Stipula-Primary-Manipulation-Psychedelic

Some pictures taken from the website (I prefer to have pictures in this thread instead of links)

This one looks like classy grandpa going partying in a Hawaiian shirt 😀. I have to get used to it... I kind of like it!

On 9/20/2021 at 7:34 PM, zchen said:

And since it is photo thread I should post a pic to make up for my messages without picturesIMG_20210920_103300_1.thumb.jpg.d85e27c66e2be8607d2329dd8d05fa12.jpg

Very nice faceted Alter Ego!

Mhhhh, I do not know… I do not want discussing the commercial policies by the different brands, but I agree with zchen that prices over thousand dollars for a pen make me feel really uncomfortable. 
We are somewhat pushed to think that 600-700 dollars is the right price for a pen in plastic with a gold nib, and that celluloid requires a premium that almost doubles the price.

I see that Santini, in Italy, may produce a plastic pen with gold nib, and have a revenue, for 300 dollars. Faceted, nonagonal pens in more selected materials, like ebonite, command a price of 600 dollars. Apparently, this is possible.

I do not buy Santini pens because they are too big for my tastes, but the point is that a western (not Chinese) factory is able to manage a small ptoduction in a range of prices that is grossly half what we are sadly becoming used to see and accept as normal.

I do not foresee new Stipula pens every time soon in my future at the current prices…

@fpupulin I agree with you that the prices are very high and pushing limit of current price tolerance for acrylic/gold nib/piston fountain pens for average potential buyers of this segment. Amusingly it reminds me of how inflation works in general: Certain segment has price increase due to increased demand, which in turn pushes prices from other segments higher too, first in similar segments, then in general. I feel that Omas celluloid pens made Stipula want to try increase their celluloid and later non-celluloid pen prices too. Let’s see how well market is taking it.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the Dutch Pen Show yesterday, and was finaly able to hold a Facetted Etruria. In my current collection, I do have regular shaped Etrurias, but I had never seen or felt a facetted one.

I love it! Though I didn't pick them up becasue of the high price, I really like the design and ergonomics of the pen.

I noticed the resin Facetted to be a bit thicker in the body than the celluloid Facetted. And I prefered that extra girth.

One of the sellers, Emy from Pen Venture was there as well with his Jonathan Brooks' Primary Manipulations itiration. I liked how different each pen was:

wJt1ZDe.jpeg

HbNKknp.jpeg

I also got to see the more affordable Stipula Adagio. I didn't really like the clip though.

I also dropped the question about the possibility of a Facetted Etruria with a steel nib. You know, to make it more affordable! He said that the Facetted Etrurias take more time to make and without gold nib, he said, it's just not worth it.

@RubenDh Thank you very much for showing. It’s great that you could go to the Dutch Pen Show. I like the combination of this psychedelic pattern and the faceted classic Stipula model, an unexpected yet exciting combination. It’s very expensive, no doubt. With sterling silver, faceted design, swaging of faceted trims, and a popular new acrylic, no surprise that it’s pricey. A steel nib won’t make it much cheaper, nor appropriate given the level of craftsmanship going into this pen, in my opinion.

One thing l to notice is that the first batch of faceted celluloid Stipulas coming from Pen Ventire actually was much girthier than the later ones from other retailers. My faceted Pizza is noticeably beefier than my faceted Champagne (shown in earlier post), though both are celluloid. The “Pizza” looks more the size of this Psychedelic version. Not sure the reason. I would guess that it might have something to do with celluloid rod size available.

The pen world is learning to live without celluloid. It’s exciting to see what is to come out still. I am sure that Stipula (and other makers like Leonardo) will continue with celluloid once in a while (limited leases and expensive), but it seems that the clients are also moving on with bigger models, more colorful releases and more collaborations.

8 hours ago, RubenDh said:

I also dropped the question about the possibility of a Facetted Etruria with a steel nib. You know, to make it more affordable! He said that the Facetted Etrurias take more time to make and without gold nib, he said, it's just not worth it.

Strangley though,  my faceted alter ego celluloid has a titanium nib.

the Danitrio Fellowship

On 9/20/2021 at 10:24 AM, dms525 said:

I look at the current prices, and I rejoice that I bought my Etrurias when I did (at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost now being asked). I haven't yet checked Emy's site for the cost of the PM facetted Etruria, but, if my expectation is accurate, I seriously doubt I will be buying one.

David

Do all faceted versions have a screw out nib? I need to lubricate mine but scared to force it.

the Danitrio Fellowship

1 hour ago, Doug C said:

Do all faceted versions have a screw out nib? I need to lubricate mine but scared to force it.

I don't think they do.