Stipula Etruria Photo Thread

fpupulin

Any one picked up the new Etruria Gallicana Sand or Oronero?

no, I have the Notte di San Lorenzo (earlier picture in this thread). Not the same thing obviously being a resin pen with a steel nib, but still looks good, the resin has a nice depth.

If you prefer the classic look with the ring on the cap the Miele Selvatico is nice, and is part of the resin series but is more similar to the classic Etruria.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• sansenri

• como

• RubenDh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any one picked up the new Etruria Gallicana Sand or Oronero?

If you look at my post no 150, the Etruria de Architectural Gaudi Casa Mila has the same finish. It’s attractive.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

After coveting Etrurias for a while, I finally caved in and bought my first: A Magnifica Wild Honey from Giardino Italiano. I find that this resin is as beautiful and striking as many of Stipula's celluloids. I ordered mine with a V-flex nib, which I hope is nice and bouncy. I will post pictures once it arrives.

You beat me to it, Mad_Pharmacist - my Miele Selvatico with gold trim arrived last week! I cant believe how gorgeous this material is, it looks as if theres a piece of honeycomb trapped in Amber with a spider having woven a golden web around it.

Its exceptional value - especially as I got mine from Giardino.it, who are giving an extra nib free, so I have both the V-flex and a stub to play with.

attachicon.gif C1DDC1D5-11AC-47A5-8ECD-91B03AB7311A.jpeg

bbs: Did you request the nib for free, or did they just include it? If it is the ladder, I may get a bonus nib along with the pen.

Edited by WLSpec

That's great, WLSpec! Please do share pictures and a writing sample of the pen. I have no experience with the v-flex nib, yet.

What you are describing seems to be a general trend. Celluloid is rarely used anymore, and when it is, the pens cost a ridiculous amount of money. New high-quality (italian?) resins are anno 2020 of such a high quality that I think they resemble celluloid very closely. Examples are the Leonardo Momento zero Grande pens, which, although not in celluloid, are equality as stunning.

Edited by RubenDh

Very attractive material, this Miele Selvatico. May I ask if it's a c/c or a piston? Thank you!

I believe it only comes as C/C

After coveting Etrurias for a while, I finally caved in and bought my first: A Magnifica Wild Honey from Giardino Italiano. I find that this resin is as beautiful and striking as many of Stipula's celluloids. I ordered mine with a V-flex nib, which I hope is nice and bouncy. I will post pictures once it arrives.

bbs: Did you request the nib for free, or did they just include it? If it is the ladder, I may get a bonus nib along with the pen.

Sorry for the late reply ... Susanna contacted me to ask which one I’d like - I wasn’t aware of the offer, I just wanted to grab that beautiful pen! But I can’t see the free nib deal advertised on the website now, so it may have been for a short while only. Just the pen with one nib is a good deal though, IMO.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Sorry for the late reply ... Susanna contacted me to ask which one I’d like - I wasn’t aware of the offer, I just wanted to grab that beautiful pen! But I can’t see the free nib deal advertised on the website now, so it may have been for a short while only. Just the pen with one nib is a good deal though, IMO.

Thank you.

Here it is:

Congratulations! Mine arrived this morning as well, and the resin is rather stunning. I’m soaking the nib units (Fine and Stub 1.1), so I haven’t tried writing with it yet.

Congratulations! Mine arrived this morning as well, and the resin is rather stunning. I’m soaking the nib units (Fine and Stub 1.1), so I haven’t tried writing with it yet.

Congrats! Mine wrote absolutely horribly out of the box, so I tuned the nib a little bit, and now it writes well. A lot of railroading though - I'll have to fix that.

Congrats! Mine wrote absolutely horribly out of the box, so I tuned the nib a little bit, and now it writes well. A lot of railroading though - I'll have to fix that.

After soaking in soapy water overnight and flushing, the stub nib seems very dry with Monteverde Sapphire/ITF, which is the first ink I usually write with in any new pen so I can gauge it against other pens. When you say yours wrote horribly, was it smoothness or flow problem?

After soaking in soapy water overnight and flushing, the stub nib seems very dry with Monteverde Sapphire/ITF, which is the first ink I usually write with in any new pen so I can gauge it against other pens. When you say yours wrote horribly, was it smoothness or flow problem?

The flow is minimal, and it is not smooth. My tuning job is unfinished. I tested it with Waterman Serenity blue, and, even though a V-Flex nib, it railroads at just a bit of pressure and is very dry otherwise.

The material though... I'll have to do some more work on the nib, because I want to be able to use it!

The flow is minimal, and it is not smooth. My tuning job is unfinished. I tested it with Waterman Serenity blue, and, even though a V-Flex nib, it railroads at just a bit of pressure and is very dry otherwise.

The material though... I'll have to do some more work on the nib, because I want to be able to use it!

Thanks -I'll PM you as this is a photo thread.

• 2 months later...

A superb example of hand-engraved chinkin technique on celluloid, the Platinum #55 Karakusa Blue Celluloid also offers tremendous value - pens created using this technique and material would often be priced at two or three times as much as this memorable writing instrument. Available with your choice of 14k solid gold rhodium-plated Century nib in Fine, Medium, or Broad, this pen retails for $950, with our price $760

As always, feel free to contact us at info@nibs.com or (323) 655-2641 with any questions or to place an order. You can also use our online order form found at https://www.secure-q...-order-form.asp.

I just got a Stipula Etruria Gallencia Champaign in celluloid. Against a warm brown background appear large gold flakes and multiple and prominent veins of blue. Some distributors describe the color as brown as blue. Whats especially distinctive about the color, however you describe it, is its iridescent nature. As you turn it, the gold and blue come into and out of focus. It also has a kaleidoscopic dimension to it. It comes with Stipulas unique Sti-flex nib, that Id describe as a semi-flex. These celluloid, if you can find one, go for about a thousand USD. Recently, Goulet Pens began featuring an orange Stipula celluloid through a special arrangement with Stipula. These celluloids cast Stipula in a very different light from its overall appearance these days as marketing affordable resin pens.

C8DF444B-B1EC-41DD-8CAB-7D16CF1EAD25.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

A stunning pen and celluloid, TexasCollector. I'm quite jealous!

However, I recently acquired a Stipula "Lipari" from the Writing Equipment Society (WES) limited edition in 2003.

I thought it would be interesting to share a comparison between the pen and the Fiesole that I also own:

yqMwx4D.jpg

- The WES Lipari is a tad shorter. However, it's bigger than an Aurora Optima and slightly smaller than a Pelikan m800.

- While the Fiesole is a cigar shape, the WES Lipari has both ends flattened. The top finial has a gold coloured medallion with "WES" written on it.

- My Fiesole is a C/C filler, while the Lipari is a Piston Filler. The piston is very smooth

- The section of both pens are concaved. However, the concaveness (?) is very different. The WES Lipari has a more dramatic, deeper, concave!

- The WES Lipari has a gold coloured ring above the section, where the cap meets

Edited by RubenDh

A stunning pen and celluloid, TexasCollector. I'm quite jealous!

However, I recently acquired a Stipula "Lipari" from the Writing Equipment Society (WES) limited edition in 2003.

I thought it would be interesting to share a comparison between the pen and the Fiesole that I also own:

yqMwx4D.jpg

- The WES Lipari is a tad shorter. However, it's bigger than an Aurora Optima and slightly smaller than a Pelikan m800.

- While the Fiesole is a cigar shape, the WES Lipari has both ends flattened. The top finial has a gold coloured medallion with "WES" written on it.

- My Fiesole is a C/C filler, while the Lipari is a Piston Filler. The piston is very smooth

- The section of both pens are concaved. However, the concaveness (?) is very different. The WES Lipari has a more dramatic, deeper, concave!

- The WES Lipari has a gold coloured ring above the section, where the cap meets

A stunning celluloid, my friend!

As much as I love your Lipari, the Etruria shape of the Fiesole is unbeatable!

The golden ring at the junction between barrel and section is definitively something that I generally dislike, as it visually breaks the continuity of the pen body. Your pic of the two pen's bodies close each other well exemplify what I mean.

I understand that., mostly in the C/C filler pens, this is done to confer more rigidly and resistance to the thread area – subject to be opened and closed a number of times - but I really love the fact that also in the C/C Etrurias (like your Fiesole) Stipula was able to avoid the ring.

The design of the Etruria can not be improved...

The golden ring at the junction between barrel and section is definitively something that I generally dislike, as it visually breaks the continuity of the pen body. Your pic of the two pen's bodies close each other well exemplify what I mean.

I agree with you! Take for example the perfectly smooth body of the "Oldwin Classic" fountain pens. Then, there are these itirations with a ring in the middle...

dsc_0004_7_3.jpg

A stunning celluloid, my friend!

As much as I love your Lipari, the Etruria shape of the Fiesole is unbeatable!

The design of the Etruria can not be improved...

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this as well! :D I ordered a new 4 pen case to carry specifically my 4 celluloid Etrurias around