SpinningAnna

Hi, my name is Anna. I was given a fountain pen September 2018, a Pelican M205 with a broad nib. It brought back the joy from learning writing at school in the '70s. We used a slanted French round hand in the Netherlands, with fountain pens.

The Pelikan showed me quickly that I prefer lighter pens, with finer nibs. And that I hold my pen ridiculously far away from the nib. Somewhere half way the pen? And use it uncapped. As I went out and looked for a pen matching those preferences I found out I may be a bit of an odd duck with today's enamourement with broad heavy cigar type fountain pens.

I had a lovely trip to Akkerman in The Hague and to the Nijmegen Pen Shop. At Akkerman I bought a Sailor Chalana which I use daily as it fits into my notebook. And some glitter ink (Diamine) that clogs up fine nibs...

The owner of the Nijmegen Pen Shop taught me a lot about my preferences. He kept pulling pens from everywhere! Light pen, fine nib, usually a click closure to prevent holding it at the thread and.... a gold nib. I love how one can talk about these nuances -for which I of course lacked the words, I only know what my hands tell me- but a professional recognizes what's important. He educated me. Showed me variables. Let me feel the variables. Together we found the fountain pen that suits me to a t:

a celluloid Boston Diamond from the 1930's.

What? yeah. It's the one that my hands loved. It was My Pen the moment I picked it up. It's a vintage if not antique Dutch brand. Parts came from various countries and assembly was in the Netherlands. Celluloid. Mine is more slender than usual and an absolute light weight. It has a push system(? I do not possess all the words yet. It has a sack inside.)

Here are some pictures and also a picture of the font I was taught at school, at age 6. I let my muscle memory do the work, hence why there are some wrong ones like the first E and the w.

Hope you enjoy and hope to talk to you. I've learned so much already on this forum. It was my first go to when I wanted to learn more about fountain pens last November. And I keep coming back.

post-149000-0-07778500-1554060509_thumb.jpg

post-149000-0-91261000-1554060521_thumb.jpg

post-149000-0-75048200-1554060533_thumb.jpg

post-149000-0-39197800-1554061124_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpinningAnna

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PAKMAN

• jar

• northstar

• dinupravin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information waiting for you to discover on this site. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello Anna,

Wee call the Boston pen a 'button fill' as you press the button to fill the pen. It presses down on a pressure bar which bows and compresses the sac. When returned the sac slowly reforms sucking up the ink.

Regards, Peter

Hello Anna, and welcome to the forums. Your Boston is a very nice-looking celluloid pen, and I like your handwriting alot.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello Anna and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome to FPN!

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

Hi Anna, thank you for this lovely introduction! Since you seem to have found your perfect pen already, what happens next?

Hi and :W2FPN:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time