Am I The Only One Who Thinks There Is Too Much Hype Around Japase Pens?

Larrabeiti

I visit Japan for business since more than 25 years, and I have several Japanese pens in my collection, from Nakaya to Preppy.

I think Japanese pens are good pens for the price to be payed in Japan.

Pens writing well out of the box, but very much boring in terms of design.

Visiting a Japanese pen shop like itoya give me this feeling every time since 25 years.

70% of pens are cigar shaped, and 25/30% flattened at the 2 sides like pilot custom 912 or sailor pro gear.

The only Japanese pens unusual in design and somewhere more unique is the Platinum 3776 ribbed which is also not easy to be found. This is a very attractive pen for me, even if I would have preferred to have it with the cap screwing in the section, instead than closing by pressing it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larrabeiti

• A Smug Dill

• mongrelnomad

• Iur

When I think about over-hyped pens, Japanese are quite literally the last the come to mind. The user-grade pens are affordable, infinitely reliable, and high quality with probably the most consistent QC in the world, and overall are probably the best bang-for-your-buck, especially when it comes to entry-level gold nib pens. The higher-end pens are true works of art, for which it's hard to assign inappropriate 'hype' as they are really about personal tastes. The only downsides I have found to Japanese pens is that many of the user-grade pens are boring in design and you almost always get a C/C system.

+1.

In my humble opinion, if you hate to deal with crappy QC, you might as well buy Japanese pens.

If you want a reliable pen that will last a long time, then go Japanese.

You may think they are boring, but I think they write wonderfully.

The nibs, materials, and ink flow are very important, for a pen with a nice body cannot make up for a crappy writing experience.

When I think about over-hyped pens, Japanese are quite literally the last the come to mind. The user-grade pens are affordable, infinitely reliable, and high quality with probably the most consistent QC in the world, and overall are probably the best bang-for-your-buck, especially when it comes to entry-level gold nib pens.

Another +1 on this.

And living in Japan, the cost of Japanese pens is much more reasonable than if I were living in N. America or Europe. At the equivalent of about US $110, I have been absolutely thrilled by my Pilot CH 92, which I have used very heavily day after day after day for almost four years now. But if I paid double that (normal in the US) for the pen, I'd still like it from a use standpoint, but I'm sure I'd be less enthusiastic about it overall. I also paid US $110 equivalent for my Elabo, which I love. These are great pens, especially at domestic Japanese prices.

I like a pretty pen as much as the next person, but as a teacher and writer, what matters most is how well the pen performs for me while being in my hand for as much as ten or twelve hours in a day. I've had the best experience overall with Japanese pens, particularly Pilots. My next pen will be another Pilot, an 823. I don't even like the way it looks, but tested one and between that lovely nib and the amount of ink it holds, I'll learn to like the appearance.

For me, Japanese pens just work.

[...] The nibs, materials, and ink flow are very important, for a pen with a nice body cannot make up for a crappy writing experience.

On the other hand, it's generally easier to get a nib fixed/adjusted than a pen body. It costs $50 - $100 to get the nib adjusted and ground as desired, so depending on the original price of the pen that ranges between completely unreasonable and immaterial compared to the purchase cost.

For inexpensive pens I expect a usable nib out of the box, and am willing to compromise on the body materials and finish (so long as they're functional).

For expensive pens I want the body made from premium materials and finished perfectly. If the nib is horrible, I'll be mildly annoyed, and get it fixed by a trusted nib technician.

Edited by raging.dragon

When I think about over-hyped pens, Japanese are quite literally the last the come to mind. The user-grade pens are affordable, infinitely reliable, and high quality with probably the most consistent QC in the world, and overall are probably the best bang-for-your-buck, especially when it comes to entry-level gold nib pens. The higher-end pens are true works of art, for which it's hard to assign inappropriate 'hype' as they are really about personal tastes. The only downsides I have found to Japanese pens is that many of the user-grade pens are boring in design and you almost always get a C/C system.

+1 again (or +3 if we're counting)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

On the other hand, it's generally easier to get a nib fixed/adjusted than a pen body. It costs $50 - $100 to get the nib adjusted and ground as desired, so depending on the original price of the pen that ranges between completely unreasonable and immaterial compared to the purchase cost.

For inexpensive pens I expect a usable nib out of the box, and am willing to compromise on the body materials and finish (so long as they're functional).

For expensive pens I want the body made from premium materials and finished perfectly. If the nib is horrible, I'll be mildly annoyed, and get it fixed by a trusted nib technician.

Generally and usually, I agree with you. The easiest factor to change is the nib.

But those Pilot nibs! It's as if they were made for me! (Specifically the PO and Falcon/Elabo SEF. I'm even loving the F.) Other nibs are great, fabulous, wonderful, but these Pilot nibs, for me, are perfect. So... I don't mind a little boring.

Still wish I could easily transplant some of my Pilot nibs to my Nakayas.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I can understand the feeling. I have fallen for the Platinum 3776 and have a growing family of them. They are reliable, well made, enjoyable little pens. The nibs are crisp writers, the music nib is big and wet, I like them a lot.

Sailor? I have two. They both feel rather cheaper than they should and neither is a joy for me to write with. I may end up trading them.

Pilot? I have one, the Custom 92 demonstrator, and though the design is a bit fugly I love using it. It writes like a dream.

Unless you count a mugful of V-pens that I bought for about 20 cents each from a close down sale. Even full price, they're about the price of a coffee. And every single one has done its job, and done it well. In purple :-)

For me, Japanese pens do have a few things going for them that aren't hype. Reliable lower tier pens, for instance. (That, they have in common with Lamy and Pelikan.) Fine and EF and UEF nibs. Urushi (though there are now urushi options on non-Japanese pens too, of course). Innovation like the Capless, coming perhaps from the other side of Pilot's business.

But yes, there's a bit of a hype on occasion. Well, that's the same with most pens other than Cross and Parker which get dissed a lot on these forums!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I do not need the line to be very fine.

It may be hard or have some spring, but I do not like truly flexible nibs (well, to be honest, I'we only had three true flex)

It must be smooth. It can have a some feedback, but not too much tooth.

It must lay a wet line.

The sweet spot must not be narrow. It must be tolerant to different writing angles.

Well, that's a spec!!

Thank you.

If that's what you enjoy, then consider a Sailor 1911 or Sapporo (smaller, less expensive) with either a music or zoom nib. I have both; they're paintbrushes. If you prefer larger pens, there's the ProGear and 1911 Large.

Platinum's 3776 comes with coarse nibs or music nibs (I think; I only have a B and an M). But my B is a garden hose.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Thanks for contributing.

By "hype" I did not mean "overpriced", I referred to the praise they receive on the Internet.

I am quite surprised that the topic keeps arising answers. Thanks for your interest.

A Smug Dill suggested a Platinum Balance and I'll have a look at that. Someone asked if I like EF nibs, slightly dry; that is the opposite of what I like. Mongrelnomad proposed an M-F and maybe it's a good idea.

I'll tell you if I end up buying something, although I have already bought too many pens and inks lately.

Two or three of the latest replies (amk posted one of these) describe the same feeling that I have, so the updated answer is "No, I am not totally alone".

Edited by Larrabeiti

On the internet ,you're never alone in an opinion.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hello again.

I just ordered a Platinum Balance with an F nib on eBay. I got a 10E discount coupon and the total cost is 19,5E, which is still less than a Lamy Safari. I have to wait now until it arrives.

I suppose I will ink it immediately when it arrives, although right now I have many more pens inked that what I can manage to use at any given time, and I have more pens on the post. I just noticed Oscar Wilde's quote in the post right here above. I think I have suffered from some excess of imagination lately - I must have imagined I could use all those pens and all those inks.

I have also found two Sailors with M-F for sale second hand in Spain. One is a demonstrator, which I do not really like, but it is new, never inked before. The other one is a very attractive grey with black trim. But these are not the current 1911 model; they are an old version with "TIGP" nibs (Titanium Gold Plated). I do not know what those nibs are worth, and for the price difference I think I'd rather buy a new one on the internet (Although the grey really looks vintage and attractive). Anyway, I'll wait for the Platinum before buying another one.

Have a nice week,

Mikel

Hello again.

I just ordered a Platinum Balance with an F nib on eBay. I got a 10E discount coupon and the total cost is 19,5E, which is still less than a Lamy Safari. I have to wait now until it arrives.

I suppose I will ink it immediately when it arrives, although right now I have many more pens inked that what I can manage to use at any given time, and I have more pens on the post. I just noticed Oscar Wilde's quote in the post right here above. I think I have suffered from some excess of imagination lately - I must have imagined I could use all those pens and all those inks.

I have also found two Sailors with M-F for sale second hand in Spain. One is a demonstrator, which I do not really like, but it is new, never inked before. The other one is a very attractive grey with black trim. But these are not the current 1911 model; they are an old version with "TIGP" nibs (Titanium Gold Plated). I do not know what those nibs are worth, and for the price difference I think I'd rather buy a new one on the internet (Although the grey really looks vintage and attractive). Anyway, I'll wait for the Platinum before buying another one.

Have a nice week,

Mikel

You can use them all, just not all at once. I usually have 2 pens inked, and it takes about 2 years to cycle through them all (and slowly growing longer as I continue to accumulate more pens).

In short I had to say YES but that apply to almost all the big name brands who keep churning out various editions of pen .... Japanese pens are good pens but a lot of marketing alright.

Unless you're wrong on Reddit.

Agreed. Reddit can be a real mine field on opinion reactions. But then you can also end up with an abundance of support, depending upon the sub.

I'm still trying to understand what "hype" the OP referred to, because even their follow-up was so ambiguous.."the praise they receive on the Internet." The Internet is vast. Every pen brand receives praise in one way or another, one venue or another, in varying degrees... these statements fail to qualify.

In my experience of viewing Japanese pen reviews in blogs, YouTube, and forums, is that there's praise and criticism with the tendency being praise. And I think for good reason.

But the real kicker... the OP starts this off with a broad rant against Japanese pens... and then BUYS ANOTHER! :headsmack:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I don't think so. I just spent about a thousand dollars on about 60 japanese vintage gold nib pens from japan (mostly all pocket pens similar to what is only sold now as the pilot e95S) to restore and I was only comfortable doing so because japanese pens are just so reliably well made. Are they super interesting? not always. But they're damned reliable.

OP's opinion seemed like just that. His honest opinion. People on this forum seem to have a hard time extrapolating the implied nature of opinion. And reddit is way, way worse. Reddit is just a poisonous cesspool.

I think Jetpens is the worst company in the business. I do not need to state outright or qualify it that this is my opinion. But people sure do think that I'm somehow attempting to invalidate their own opinions by stating my own. It goes without saying that what I said has no objective basis, so therefore, is only my opinion. The OP doesn't seem to think japanese pens are as amazing as many people do think they are. He is absolutely entitled to think that, and any sideways reactions seem to have come from people jumping down his throat and attacking him about it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

After dealing with many crappy, (and I mean crappy as in the fact that the nibs were defective), nibs, I just don't have that kind of patience anymore.

I am a student, so when I spend 80$ on a pen, it means quite a bit to me...

... An expensive pen outta have it all right. It's not a car...

And I find investing $$ into an already expensive pen is not worth it.

UNLESS if there's profit involved.

One time, I received an NOS Esterbrook J 9460 nib. I had to ever-so-slightly widen its tines and give 'em a little bit of tweaking, and then the nib wrote perfectly. There were no fundamental issues with the nib/feed.

On the other hand, I had a Faber Castell Ambition with a nib that was tipped unevenly, so I would have to remove tipping material in order to make the pen write well. (I had to return the thing.)

And yet the Faber Castell, Pilot Varsity, Metropolitan and Prera, (other pens which I have bought brand new), were PERFECTLY adjusted.

As you can see, I have had perfect experiences with Japanese pens, and I wish that other (modern) pen manufacturers can make their pens RIGHT without having to throw $$ on their nibs.

Till then, I am not giving a cent to such a company.

(I hope I didn't sound mad there.)

I used to buy overhyped, overpriced Japanese pens until I discovered low cost, little know brands like Montblanc, Visconti and Pelikan. I can’t believe I was blinded by that in-your-face Japanese bling.

So interesting..I am learnin' a lot.....thanks....................

Fred

who is listening to Zappa Joe's Garage...don't make a fuss..just get on the bus........it's a way of life..hey I'll buy you a pizza....

next cut...................