Natami Inception Review

taike

Hi, does anyone know which cartridges can be used in the Natami Inception?

Since the Inception can't be eyedroppered, it would be nice to have a "backup" filling method in case the converter breaks. (and I kinda prefer refilling cartridges to converters anyway)

On Aliexpress there are cartridges in a "Inception""The Flight of Time" labeled box, but without measurements.

And replacement converters which throats are supposed to be 3.4mm wide. I don't think that's exactly Lamy size, but do you think it's close enough that Lamy cartridges could work?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• A Smug Dill

• Licue

• taike

18 hours ago, Licue said:

Hi, does anyone know which cartridges can be used in the Natami Inception?  And replacement converters which throats are supposed to be 3.4mm wide.

So why not just use 3.4mm-bore Jinhao ink cartridges as “backup”, then? Jinhao makes them in both 2.6mm- and 3.4mm-bore, and they are cheap to buy in tubs of 100 units.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

So why not just use 3.4mm-bore Jinhao ink cartridges as “backup”, then? Jinhao makes them in both 2.6mm- and 3.4mm-bore, and they are cheap to buy in tubs of 100 units.

Yes, I could do that.

But I already have plenty of Lamy cartridges in lots of different colors and it would be nice if I could use them in some more fountain pens.

Plus I think Lamy cartridges are a bit bigger/hold more ink and - imo - also look kinda better in demontrator(-ish) pens than the flat bottomed Jinhao cartridges.

In that case, why don't you just try plugging in one of your plenty of Lamy cartridges into the Natami Inception? It isn't going to damage the pen, and at worst you've just sacrificed one cartridge you won't miss, and possibly have a small inky mess that can be easily cleaned up; you already know there's a Plan C (when Plan A is to use the supplied converter that is guaranteed to work, and Plan B is to use the Lamy cartridges you already have to minimise costs in consumables and increase utilisation of what you already have) in using Jinhao 3.4mm-bore cartridges.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

In that case, why don't you just try plugging in one of your plenty of Lamy cartridges into the Natami Inception? It isn't going to damage the pen, and at worst you've just sacrificed one cartridge you won't miss, and possibly have a small inky mess that can be easily cleaned up; you already know there's a Plan C (when Plan A is to use the supplied converter that is guaranteed to work, and Plan B is to use the Lamy cartridges you already have to minimise costs in consumables and increase utilisation of what you already have) in using Jinhao 3.4mm-bore cartridges.

Isn't that obvious? I don't have one (yet). So far it's only on the maybe-kinda-want-list.

If I had a Natami Inception here, then of course I'd just try it out myself. (probably with an already empty cartridge first though)

• 3 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 10:10 PM, penzel_washinkton said:

Since when does the majority claims that the acrylic on the Century feels like a cheap plastic?

I know that some say the plastic on the Century feels not of high quality but not the majority. Personally, I enjoy the feel of the Century very much and definitely the colors.

Platinum 3376's body is injection molded plastic, and pretty flimsy one at that. The translucent varieties feel especially cheap, which is understandable, given that 3776 retailed in Japan for only $65 just a few years ago (more expensive now). While I haven't handled the Natami, I doubt you can tell a difference between the quality of its plastic and that of the 3776 from just a few photos. It's all in your head. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 8:45 PM, Licue said:

And replacement converters which throats are supposed to be 3.4mm wide. I don't think that's exactly Lamy size, but do you think it's close enough that Lamy cartridges could work?

The first Natami Inception pen I ordered — which now I'm certain is my last and only, if I choose to keep it at all — arrived this week. The answer is yes, they could, on account of the bore diameter of the Lamy cartridges' opening, but no, they don't work in the Natami Inception, on account of something else.

On 7/29/2021 at 5:59 PM, A Smug Dill said:

The first Natami Inception pen I ordered — which now I'm certain is my last and only, if I choose to keep it at all — arrived this week. The answer is yes, they could, on account of the bore diameter of the Lamy cartridges' opening, but no, they don't work in the Natami Inception, on account of something else.

Fitting, but not working - odd 🤔

But thanks for returning to my question, especially as quite a bit time has passed since then 🙂 🌻

On 2/2/2021 at 1:45 AM, Licue said:

Hi, does anyone know which cartridges can be used in the Natami Inception?

Since the Inception can't be eyedroppered, it would be nice to have a "backup" filling method in case the converter breaks. (and I kinda prefer refilling cartridges to converters anyway)

On Aliexpress there are cartridges in a "Inception""The Flight of Time" labeled box, but without measurements.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:01 AM, Licue said:

But thanks for returning to my question, especially as quite a bit time has passed since then 🙂 🌻

I don't know if you ever got this answer but I have a set of Wing Sung 3001 pens that came with 3.4mm converters. I believe the Hongdian pen line also comes with 3.4mm converters so if have any of those pen you can try those too.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, Licue said:

To elaborate: the external diameter of the post inside the gripping section matches the inner diameter of the mouth on a Lamy ink cartridge closely enough; but the section and the cartridge are not just those two things physically. A Lamy ink cartridge does not fit into the pen's gripping section. That's why it could work on account of the parts that connect, to establish a path for the ink to flow from reservoir to nib, having matching diameters (which was the focus of your original question); but they don't actually work together because there is something preventing those parts from actually connecting. You'd need to remove the obstacle by sanding/shaving/carving off material physically from one part or the other first.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, Licue said:

You helped me with finding an accessible seller from whom to get Monami Penna pens. :)