Lamy Benitoite Ink

visvamitra

Thank you for another excellent (as usual!) review.

This ink is actually a little bluer than I was expecting, but I like the colour a lot anyway.

fpn_1557500248__lamy_benitoite_writing_s

As for its water resistance, I'm very happy with it. This is the sheet shown above, after a ten-minute soak in warm water:

fpn_1557500225__lamy_benitoite_writing_s

Considering how small the 'fine print' was — the line grid is 5mm square — and 'dry' and faint I deliberately made it in the first place, I'm satisfied with how legible the writing remained, in spite of some colour washing off into the bath.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• A Smug Dill

• bemon

• visvamitra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was hoping this would be a highly saturated deep blue based on looking at swatches online. On paper it's a dusty blue/grey. I already have Iro Shin Kai thanks.

I was hoping this would be a highly saturated deep blue based on looking at swatches online. On paper it's a dusty blue/grey. I already have Iro Shin Kai thanks.

Which swatches are you referring to? unsure.png

IMO, it was always dull grey/blue with the addition of being water resistant.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Which swatches are you referring to? unsure.png

Goulet. I suppose it could be my screen too. At any rate I don't usually get too upset when a sample doesn't match a swatch, I'm just cranky today.

Edited by bemon

Goulet. I suppose it could be my screen too. At any rate I don't usually get too upset when a sample doesn't match a swatch, I'm just cranky today.

laugh.png

One of those days, hope all is well.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

This was what I was expecting from Lamy's marketing images:

fpn_1558053760__lamy_t53_crystal_ink_ben

Source: LAMY

which is why I said it is actually bluer than I expected.

It is indeed somewhat similar in appearance to Pilot Iroshizuku shin-kai, but I wouldn't call it a dusty blue/grey unless you're using a dry pen:

fpn_1558053898__lamy_benitoite_against_i

The first four lines of cursive were written using a dip pen with a Zebra G nib. The lines at the bottom were written using a Platinum PTL-5000A with 14K gold EF nib. I don't have a fountain pen currently inked with Pilot Iroshizuku shin-kai.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

laugh.png

One of those days, hope all is well.

Mostly- just a tripled work load and more to come! I'll survive. We get an extra day off this weekend in Canada, so that means instead of dressing for work and driving for an hour I can work in track pants at home.

This was what I was expecting from Lamy's marketing images:

fpn_1558053760__lamy_t53_crystal_ink_ben

Source: LAMY

which is why I said it is actually bluer than I expected.

It is indeed somewhat similar in appearance to Pilot Iroshizuku shin-kai, but I wouldn't call it a dusty blue/grey unless you're using a dry pen:

fpn_1558053898__lamy_benitoite_against_i

The first four lines of cursive were written using a dip pen with a Zebra G nib. The lines at the bottom were written using a Platinum PTL-5000A with 14K gold EF nib. I don't have a fountain pen currently inked with Pilot Iroshizuku shin-kai.

I like how this ink lays down for you in your Platinum. Though I've collected dozens of pens, I rely heavily on my 3 EDC pens. A medium L2K, a medium M600 and a broad Vanishing Point. If I can't get an ink to work the way I'd like in any of those pens then it goes on the chopping block just because those pens see 99% of my fountain pen use. Occasionally I bring out another pen from my collection, but I'm slowly selling them off as the 3 I mentioned tick all the boxes for me.

Must be my screen, but the bottle colour is different to the swatch colour.

The swatch colour is dull blue/grey whereas the bottle is definitely more blue.

TBH, looking at both I would be unsure at what colour I would actually get.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Mostly- just a tripled work load and more to come! I'll survive. We get an extra day off this weekend in Canada, so that means instead of dressing for work and driving for an hour I can work in track pants at home.

Sorry to hear, hopefully working in track pants and the day off will help. thumbup.gif

Engineer :

Great handwriting. thumbup.gif

OTOH, could you kindly submerge this page for 10 mins in water to check water resistance.

I, sadly, binned my ink sample a while back.

Engineer :

Sorry to hear, hopefully working in track pants and the day off will help. thumbup.gif

Those of us in the car biz dont get days off. We just get days away from the store. I take my laptops on all weekend trips and vacations. Thanks though :)

Great handwriting.

Thanks.

OTOH, could you kindly submerge this page for 10 mins in water to check water resistance.

Water resistance of Lamy Benitoite (already tested and shown above), or of Pilot Iroshizuku shin-kai?

Those of us in the car biz dont get days off. We just get days away from the store. I take my laptops on all weekend trips and vacations. Thanks though smile.png

Unfortunately, the ever demanding needs to meet targets. sad.png IMO, quality family downtime is paramount to professional performance.

Engineer :

Sorry, must have been half asleep.

Not a problem. You asked so nicely, and I did as you requested earlier today, but I've been a bit busy/distracted with Australia's federal election that I haven't attended to taking and posting photos until the results were known.

fpn_1558187693__lamy_benitoite_against_i

Not a problem. You asked so nicely, and I did as you requested earlier today, but I've been a bit busy/distracted with Australia's federal election that I haven't attended to taking and posting photos until the results were known.

Thank you for the prompt response. thumbup.gif

I too am trying to keep up with the AUS election. There is one happening in India too.

This is interesting, because I definitely don't remember my test turning out like this. It was a lot more faded.

Hmm... will have to get another sample.

Engineer :

Unfortunately, the ever demanding needs to meet targets. sad.png IMO, quality family downtime is paramount to professional performance.

I agree, but I also like to connect for at minimum an hour or two a day when I'm on vacation. If for no other reason than just to trim the in box and take care of simple tasks. For me going away for a week on vacation is completely and utterly ruined by returning to 300+ emails and a list of urgent tasks.

As for evenings and weekends, well dealerships are retail. We need to be available when the shoppers are available. I'm on the marketing side so I don't need to be online collecting leads, but I need to make sure my campaigns are delivering when I know sales people are sitting at home waiting for those leads.

I agree, but I also like to connect for at minimum an hour or two a day when I'm on vacation. If for no other reason than just to trim the in box and take care of simple tasks. For me going away for a week on vacation is completely and utterly ruined by returning to 300+ emails and a list of urgent tasks.

+1

A little work becomes a sort of 'change of scene' from doing nothing all day.

As for evenings and weekends, well dealerships are retail. We need to be available when the shoppers are available. I'm on the marketing side so I don't need to be online collecting leads, but I need to make sure my campaigns are delivering when I know sales people are sitting at home waiting for those leads.

+1

Every lead matters, if not 'today' then for a 'potential tomorrow'. The professionalism lies in making that 'prompt/timely' connection.

Engineer :

I just got a bottle of this last week. Tried it last night for the first time. It is NOT as light as it appears on the box. The only way I could get it even close to that color is by using an EF line. It is closer to a vintage royal blue than the blue gray I was kind of excited to have.

Also, of the entire crystal line, only this one is called a "document" ink by Lamy. Have not been able to figure out why. I isn't waterproof.