Paper / Notebook For Fountain Pens In 2019

dinupravin

Dear All,

I think this is an age old debate. I just want to start it again. I am from Chennai.

I am using FPs with Western Medium Nibs coupled with dry ink.

Which are the fountain pen friendly papers / notebooks (minimum size: B5) made in india which can be bought online or may be in stores directly.

Please share your views.

Thanks in advance.

Knowledge Power

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dinupravin

• smruthib

• hari317

• RudraDev

I would recommend any writing paper from Ballarpur Industries. Look for BILT or BILT Matrix notebooks.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I would recommend any writing paper from Ballarpur Industries. Look for BILT or BILT Matrix notebooks.

Thanks for your kind suggestion.

Knowledge Power

Today got BILT 85 GSM A4 ream for Rs. 390/- from M/s. Gurunath Stores, Saidapet, Chennai. I asked the store for 90 GSM. But they had only 85 GSM and i bought it.

Going to test it now. Will update about the paper & ink combination's performance later.

Knowledge Power

Ok. Thats copier paper. They have these notebooks like for example.

BILT Matrix Premium Notebook Single Subject - A4, 70 GSM, 160 pages, Single Ruled https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EZM0XAG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mk5KCbFG8SP0Q

It should be available locally.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Ok. Thats copier paper. They have these notebooks like for example.

BILT Matrix Premium Notebook Single Subject - A4, 70 GSM, 160 pages, Single Ruled https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EZM0XAG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mk5KCbFG8SP0Q

It should be available locally.

I thought more GSM means lesser bleed through and bought the copier paper and going to bind it.

Knowledge Power

Can someone elaborate on that? Even I thought more GSM meant lesser bleedthrough/more FP friendly.

GSM is not the only criterion. The more the GSM, it is better. Opacity of paper, texture of paper, ink absorbency, properties of ink affects bleedthrough.

Certain papers even though having less gsm does not bleed through. whereas papers like BILT 85 GSM Bond paper is bleeding through for me. I am using a wet pen.

Best way to select a paper is through writing samples in it. You have to check before you buy.

Having disappointed with BILT 85 GSM Bond paper, i bought a brand called ARTREX 90 GSM A4 notebook which is not bleeding through. But there is a light see-through, that is ok in my opinion.

So, i suggest you try different papers with different inks in different pens to zero-in on the paper. My next trial is going to be in a Rhodia notebook.

Regards,

Dinesh

Knowledge Power

I've got two amazing choices for you:

1. JK cedar paper 100gsm

2. Classmate Pulse notebooks

Does JK Cedar 100gsm has see-through or its is opaque. What about bleed-through? I am about to buy it next.

Knowledge Power

Does JK Cedar 100gsm has see-through or its is opaque. What about bleed-through? I am about to buy it next.

It should be good, for the most part.

I tried using a water brush on it with pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo and it did feather just a little(to be fair, the waterbrush draws 8-9mm wide lines)

It should be good, for the most part.

I tried using a water brush on it with pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo and it did feather just a little(to be fair, the waterbrush draws 8-9mm wide lines)

Thanks for your reply.

Knowledge Power

I recently purchased the Quikrite, by William Penn, which claims to be FP friendly. The unruled and ruled papers work beautifully, with minimal ghosting and no bleedthrough at all, even with my 1.1 JoWo nib and my flex nib. I have a couple sheening inks from Krishna, and the colours come through beautifully. The "To-Do" inserts do bleed a little though.

I recently purchased the Quikrite, by William Penn, which claims to be FP friendly. The unruled and ruled papers work beautifully, with minimal ghosting and no bleedthrough at all, even with my 1.1 JoWo nib and my flex nib. I have a couple sheening inks from Krishna, and the colours come through beautifully. The "To-Do" inserts do bleed a little though.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try Quikrite then.

Knowledge Power

How is the Quickrite? Particularly the outer cover? I am confused between that and PebL.

Midori is too costly in India and I am looking for something similar and have shortlisted these.

Any other suggestions is also welcome.

Well, I only got the Quikrite three days ago so my account wouldn't give you the durability, but the outer cover is thick and seems pretty tough. The Quikrite PebL is more expensive than the regular one, I believe the outer cover is different and the PeBL can hold up to five inserts, while the regular can hold up to three.

Again, I haven't used PebL at all, but I would say if you want to carry around a less bulky notebook, you might be better off using the Quikrite over the PebL.