Jf_Lamy Safari Le.19 - Audi Nardo Grey

JF_LAMY Collection

Dear all,

Well, after a hectic start to the 2019, I had some time to get back to my dear hobby again. Bought some new “toys” such as Hansa 381 airbrush, and while waiting for the 2019 LAMY safari special edition models, I went to “work” and made my own 2019 LAMY safari limited edition”.

46683083234_a4cbb461e3_c.jpg

Anyone interested how it turned out?

Please have a look and let me know what you think …

JF_LAMY_safari_LE.19_-_Audi_Nardo_Grey

Kind regards,

Jan (FLICKR)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JF_LAMY Collection

• dennis_f

• jchch1950

• senzen

That looks great Jan. Wow.

I know that you posted the F1 pen earlier this year... have you done more than these two? Or do you have others you're working on? Frankly, your work is stunning; I'm sure I'm not the only person who would love to see more.

D

Looks very nice! How does it feel in hand? Same as regular Safaris? I am referring to slipperiness. Could this be done to a Studio's section?

Edited by pseudo88

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Dear all,

THANK YOU!!

I have only made this one and the “F1” so far, but I already have an idea for the next one. The thing is that it is quite difficult for someone inexperienced like me. First, I have to spray the primer, which is easy, but it has to be smooth. It covers all the imperfections on the pen, which is good. You can wet send them and primer again. The paint is difficult, because of the dust. And the last step is the lacquer. Working with it is easy, but polishing can (and does, unfortunately) get tricky. If I am not careful enough, I end up polishing right through the paint. Especially the edges are difficult to polish around them. Once this happen (it did), the only solution is the brake fluid, strip the paint and to start all over again. That is why the shine on the pen is not as I would like it to be, and you can spot some dust particles on the pen as well. But overall, I am quite happy with the result.

As for the “scratch resistance”, my guess would be that it is even better than the original pen. The lacquer gets harder over time. Slipperiness is not a problem, the feel is good. But I am not going to use it. That´s for sure. I put it in a display box among other pens in my collection - there is only one in the world after all JJJ

Kind regards,

Jan (FLICKR)

Your work definitely does not look "inexperienced", at least not at the scale of the photos you posted. As I said when you posted the F1 pen, you should contact Lamy and show them your work... dare I say that your two finishes look better than many of theirs.

Two questions for you: when you did the F1 pen, you mentioned having a problem with the cap -- I think you said the paint on the section increased its circumference just enough to make closing the cap difficult, and you had to find a work-around -- did the same thing happen this time?

Also: just out of curiousity, which pen did you paint over?

Hello all,

Thank you! I did contact LAMY with the “F1” pen. It was funny in a way. The nice lady from the PR department (I think it was PR) wrote back telling me that she does not remember LAMY making a safari A. Senna edition. Made me proud for a second ... J

Regarding the cap, it is not really a problem. I just had to take into account that the layers of primer, paint and lacquer will add to the diameter of the pen a bit. Therefore it was only necessary to take a sand paper and make the cap a little wider on the inside. The original pen was black. Just bought a spare black nib and an extra cap with black clip.

Kind regards,

Jan (FLICKR)

Hi again,

What do you think of the black thin stripe on the cap?

Kind regards,

Jan (FLICKR)

That's a funny story about the Lamy PR person. I think maybe they should hire you to consult them on Limited Edition Styles and finishes.

I like the stripe. It just adds a little touch and catches the eye without being too overstated or out of place. I know that most Lamy pens are supposed to be Bauhaus inflected, and as such "decoration" for its own sake is kind of frowned upon, but I like it; I think it references typical cap bands. Was this what you were thinking, or does it reference the Audi... or was it just something you added to as an extra little touch?

Edited by dennis_f

Beautiful work! Very professional and I love the black stripe :)

I'd even replace that nib with one of these (the AL-Star LX nibs, not the gold ones) to really making it a racing stripe pen :P (not my photo)

maxresdefault.jpg

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for the kind words, but I think LAMY is doing way better job without me J

Exactlly!! “ ... typical cap bands ... „ That is what I though. I wasn´t sure about it, but I kind of find it nice myself. THANK YOU!

Kind regards,

Jan (FLICKR)

Edited by JF_LAMY Collection

Great color and finish. thumbup.gif

You no longer have to wait for Lamy to launch your favourite colours. biggrin.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.