First Pelikan In A Decade (M101N Red Tortoiseshell)

osallent

About 12 years ago I had a collection of around 30 Pelikan fountain pens. Over time I sold or gifted most of them away, as I really did not have the time to pursue fountain pens as a hobby. Life got in the way, family, kids, studies, new career, etc. All these years I only kept one fountain pen, which I've carried with me everywhere and used so heavily that it is starting to really show it's age. That fountain pen is my Pelikan M200 Blue-Gray (Pre-1997).

post-148689-0-28349000-1552714320_thumb.jpg

However, over the last year I've finally started to feel the fountain pen addiction once again, and I've been thinking about staring a new flock. But not just any flock. I want my new flock to be colorful and interesting, so I've been looking towards the yearly releases from Pelikan (such as the M600's in pastel color, the M101N releases, and other special editions. Well, I finally found the first Pelikan for this new collection, and today I got it in the mail. I ordered it from John Mottishaw, whose name I still remembered from my fountain pen show adventures and fountain pen hobby talk from a decade and a half ago.

Here's the outer box:

post-148689-0-14689100-1552714567_thumb.jpg

I really like the box art. Let us hope the inside of the box is just as nice. From what I can remember, my old Pelikans were packaged in rather pedestrian boxes. Certainly nothing as nice as this big box.

post-148689-0-96875800-1552714616_thumb.jpg

By this point I was very impressed. I don't remember any of my old M200's, M400's, M600's and M800's ever coming so nicely packaged. :wub: And I got a bottle of ink thrown into the box too. Now let's just hope the pen is as nice as I've seen online.

post-148689-0-60212200-1552714687_thumb.jpg

Oh my! Talk about love at first sight. She might be small, but she is definitely some eye candy. The tortoiseshell material is as nice in person as it looks online. My cheapo camera will never do it justice, but trust me when I say my eyes were definitely loving what they saw. Only one question remains, does she post well? That's something i always loved about Pelikan pens, they post nice and snug and are well balanced both posted and unposted. Let us hope this Pelikan posts as nicely as the others I've owned.

post-148689-0-68999000-1552714807_thumb.jpg

Yep, it's a keeper. No doubt. I'm in love with Pelikan all over again. Only one thing remains, to ink her, but I won't do that just yet. I've ordered some brown Pelikan ink and I'll wait for it to arrive so I can ink her.

So, what do you guys think of my new bird after 12 years away from the hobby? Is it a good one? And what about my future collecting plans about acquiring colorful and interesting Pelikans that stand out from your standard blue, green, red, and black Pelikans? I can't wait for the new Pelikan M600 limited edition this year. I hope it's a pastel purple or another unusual eye-catching color, because I really want an M600 real bad.

Feel free to leave comments or share Pelikans of your own. :thumbup:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sargetalon

• osallent

• The Good Captain

• dinupravin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on your new acquisition. You won't go wrong with a fountain pen from manufacturers like pelikan.

I am going to get a used M1000 and vintage 400.

Hope the pen gives you the joy to write.

Take care.

Knowledge Power

They are lovely pens and a good choice. I've small hands and tend not to post but I've tried them, and they do - well!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

While I love the design, colors and looks of this pen, it is a bit too small for my hand to be a daily user. (I don't post.)

[For reference I prefer pens of the M800 size.]

The grey marbled M200 was my first Pelikan piston-filler. I bought it ~2004/2005 and I'm still usig it occasionally. In the meantime I added a dozen other pelikans to my flock. (most in the m600 size.) But those smaller pens I really like to carry in my shirt pocket.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

Congrats for your choices.

I would probably have followed the same route.

I love my pre 1997 M200s; I have quite a few, because I think it's the most reliable workhorse pen out there!

Your choice of new pen after years using the M200 is a coherent choice, similar size, similar performance, same Pelikan style, but with that extra elegance and refinement! The 101N red tortoise is one of the nicest new 101N (I'm partial only to the first green tortoise), I am sure you will just love it.

You have time for the next step (and your are going the right direction, M600 is very likely your next advisable step).

That's a great pen to re-kindle your flock. I also think that you may be happy with the yet to be announced M600 if what I have heard comes to pass. Enjoy your pens.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

What I think? I think I'm jealous....

I keep drooling over the red tortoiseshell pens but then get sticker shock. :wallbash:

Congrats on the new acquisition.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you all. I'm glad you guys like it. I sure do. Do any of you know when this year's M-600 limited edition is supposed to come out?

The timeline is a bit of a mess this year due to some production issues. Hard to gauge at this juncture but one is on the slate from what Ive heard.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I almost bought this pen a few times because I like the red/straw color combination. Enjoy!

(But I REALLY like the austerity of your choice of old style M200 as the only pen you kept from your previous collection.)

Edited by Calabria

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang