Any Experience With Platinum Kanazawa Maki-E Fountain Pens?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hu-327

• jchch1950

• ridiculopathy

• Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

they're not REAL maki-e. screen printed on resin from what I understand.

I've heard good things about them though.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I have one of those (Herons over Mt Fuji).

The 18K nib is beautiful. It's springy and a joy to write with.

I've only used cartriges with mine.

You won't want to post is - as it might wreck the image.

A useful pen at a reasonable price.Hand-painted maki-e can be in many thousand dollars. It can be the first step into the expensive road to maki-e collecting.

The are absolutely fantastic pens. It is at the entry level when it comes to Maki-e but don't denigrate the artistry of screen printing; it is yet another old and honored art form.

In screen printing, each separate color is one screen and one printing. Each screen must register exactly over the prior screens for the image to end up as imagined. It is a laborious process initially but has the advantage that once created numerous identical copies can be made.

There are several layers in the world of Maki-e as well as different styles and techniques. For example even in most of the high end Maki-e pens the design is first created on paper and basic outlines then transferred to the pen. The tracings are then painted over by hand or carved by hand.

http://www.fototime.com/BC2EFB7318B074D/standard.jpg

My Website

ridiculopathy

The gold leaf application technique is what is supposed to make the Kanazawa series unique. I have the autumn leaves one too, and I agree with everyone else that it's a great starter maki-e pen.

Honeybadgers

Yeah, I don't think anyone would dispute the quality of the kanazawas. But for someone interested in "true" maki-e, this ain't urushi coated ebonite that's hand painted by artisans. It's its own thing.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

amberleadavis

Please show it to us, once you have it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar

Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'll take some pictures in a day or so! Looks like I ordered the rabbit/moon version though. Whoops. Didn't realize why I wasn't getting notifications on any of my threads either, apparently you are supposed to follow topics?

Really wish a >$150 pen had a converter included, but that's my only misgiving. I forgot how to upload images directly :unsure: so here is an imgur link to the album of pictures I took. imgur.com/a/RtoNt40 There is a weird raised bump encircling the moon (which is the only part of the Maki-e which doesn't feel slightly raised when I brush over it with my thumb), which I think was certainly part of the screenprinting process. I tried to show it in the picture, it's easier to see in person, but you can still tell of the black ring surrounding the moon.

Mine came with a convertor - that was a couple of years ago. Are you sure it is not tucked away beneath the packaging in the box?

ridiculopathy

There is a weird raised bump encircling the moon (which is the only part of the Maki-e which doesn't feel slightly raised when I brush over it with my thumb), which I think was certainly part of the screenprinting process.

I think that's to keep the gold leaf in place or to prevent it from being flaked off--my Platinum modern maki-e (screen printed) rollerball doesn't have the clear encirclements.

Like sandy101, mine came with a converter but it was also years ago when I bought it.

Checked under the packaging in the box and definitely no converter :(

At least Platinum converters aren't as pricey as some of the others. 2 for $10 or so. Aurora's prices especially are ridiculous.

Dr.Midnight

I have the Platinum Modern Maki-e with the Crane and Mt. Fuji design, medium nib. It is far and away my favorite pen. A great writer, despite a recent misadventure with some ink and a non-approved cleanser (Honeybadgers knows!)

Anyway, I loved mine a little too much. It was (and still is) a daily carry for me, and unfortunately, a lot of the design has worn off over the years. You can compare mine to the picture Jar posted above:

fpn_1553812191__makie.jpg

Despite that, Platinum makes a great pen. Enjoy!