Crocodile 377

drathbun

Now, with a wide decorative band like that I actually don't mind since it is quite pleasing to the eye.

Very nice pen Helen, did not know that you can customize that part of the pen.

I just don't fancy a large plain ones like on the said Crocodile 377, Plaisirs and to some extent the PenBBS 456 (although I admit that I like the 456 shape wise).

But it is definitely under my radar, after I buy the Moonman N3 of course :lol:

Edited by penzel_washinkton

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• Helen350

• garyc

• penzel_washinkton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Richard, here is my Crocodile 'Duofold'. With my next pen order in May, I will order a new clip to go on it. Cannot stand that clip. What nib will fit this Crocodile. A standard #5 nib does not fit, and I have had no success finding another nib for this pen.

fpn_1555040449__crocodiledufold2.jpg

My Crocodile 801 in green arrived today.

I have changed the original clip, which I did not like at all, for the one in a Hero 336 donor pen I have around.

If someone would prefer a look closer to that of the original Duofold, also the clip from a Hero 7032 can be adapted. In both cases you will need to do some minor modifications to perfectly adapt the Hero clip, easily achieved with a Dremel and a cutting disk.

This is the result:

fpn_1558806326__croc2.jpg

I have changed the original clip, which I did not like at all, for the one in a Hero 336 donor pen I have around.

If someone would prefer a look closer to that of the original Duofold, also the clip from a Hero 7032 can be adapted. In both cases you will need to do some minor modifications to perfectly adapt the Hero clip, easily achieved with a Dremel and a cutting disk.

This is the result:

Like the looks of that clip. :wub: Gives the pen a much different appeal.

This is the result:

How exactly did you achieve that - the cap finial has no screw from inside the cap that I can see. Did you heat it to unglue it?

How exactly did you achieve that - the cap finial has no screw from inside the cap that I can see. Did you heat it to unglue it?

You just need to rotate and unscrew the cap finial. Mine came off with not too much effort, no heat needed.

You just need to rotate and unscrew the cap finial. Mine came off with not too much effort, no heat needed.

Ok, so I guess the Hero clip just needs its central hole enlarging to fit the finial when removed, is that the Dremel action that is needed? Does the combination then just st screw back in to a tight fit?

Must admit my crocodiles have been dormant since I bought them, though that hasn’t prevented me from buying red and green variants of the 377. The plain clip is certainly an improvement to the visual appeal IMO.

Ok, so I guess the Hero clip just needs its central hole enlarging to fit the finial when removed, is that the Dremel action that is needed? Does the combination then just st screw back in to a tight fit?

Must admit my crocodiles have been dormant since I bought them, though that hasn’t prevented me from buying red and green variants of the 377. The plain clip is certainly an improvement to the visual appeal IMO.

As you can see in the picture that follows, what I basically did was drilling open the clip ring to allow a) the screw to pass freely through the hole wich was slightly smaller in diameter and B) to allow the flat clip pin to slide along the groove in the brass top of the cap. This is needed because the center of the hole in the new clip does not align exactly with the center of the hole in the cap, so you need this (very slight though) sliding possibility.

You will also neeed to grind off a bit of both sides of the clip pin width so it fits perfectly in the groove that prevents te clip from rotating.

I hope this is clear enough, but unfortunately I do not have any picture from the original clip before the modifications, so they would be more apparent.

Sure, I do also like the pen much better now :)

fpn_1558975144__mon_may_27_13-55-29_copi

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see in the picture that follows, what I basically did was drilling open the clip ring to allow a) the screw to pass freely through the hole wich was slightly smaller in diameter and B) to allow the flat clip pin to slide along the groove in the brass top of the cap. This is needed because the center of the hole in the new clip does not align exactly with the center of the hole in the cap, so you need this (very slight though) sliding possibility.

You will also neeed to grind off a bit of both sides of the clip pin width so it fits perfectly in the groove that prevents te clip from rotating.

I hope this is clear enough, but unfortunately I do not have any picture from the original clip before the modifications, so they would be more apparent.

Sure, I do also like the pen much better now :)

Thanks, thats pretty clear. However, looking inside the caps of my 801s (I have 3, red, ice and amber), I dont see any end of the metal screw, just the end of a black cylinder. Attempts at unscrewing the finial have been unsuccessful. I wonder if mine are glued in? I bought mine 2, possibly 3 years ago (or maybe more).

Im going to buy the blue one mentioned earlier, perhaps it will have a screw finial?

Thanks, thats pretty clear. However, looking inside the caps of my 801s (I have 3, red, ice and amber), I dont see any end of the metal screw, just the end of a black cylinder. Attempts at unscrewing the finial have been unsuccessful. I wonder if mine are glued in? I bought mine 2, possibly 3 years ago (or maybe more).

Im going to buy the blue one mentioned earlier, perhaps it will have a screw finial?

As you say, maybe older models had their cap finials attached differently.

Please, let us know how it goes with your new 801 in blue once you get it.

My blue 801 arrived this morning. The cap finial came off with no effort at all (and the crocodile logo is actually the head of the screw, which fell out). My 3 other 801s looked identical, so I re-attempted unscrewing. What I thought was plastic was just the discoloured flat end of the screw. Two of them took a little bit more effort and the red required a lot of effort and wrapping an elastic band around it to finally persuade it to unscrew.

I will try a set of 5 "Arrow" clips of the type mentioned earlier to replace the crocodile style clips.

post-3392-0-53096600-1560770490_thumb.jpg

BTW I bought a red and a green 377. 'In the flesh' I find the colours are a little bit garish and the barrel is on the short side (95mm barrel + section or 118mm including the nib). The nib does need a tiny bit of tuning/smoothing but apart from that they are a reasonable buy, though I'm liking my teal M600S more.

BTW I bought a red and a green 377. 'In the flesh' I find the colours are a little bit garish and the barrel is on the short side (95mm barrel + section or 118mm including the nib). The nib does need a tiny bit of tuning/smoothing but apart from that they are a reasonable buy, though I'm liking my teal M600S more.

I agree with the assessment of the 377. The pen is too unbalanced and too long posted and way too short unposted. Also the section is too short. My teal M600S is stunning.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

I agree with the assessment of the 377. The pen is too unbalanced and too long posted and way too short unposted. Also the section is too short. My teal M600S is stunning.

Doug:

Odd that you found the 377 to be "too unbalanced." Here are two snaps of me with the pen, both capped &

posted. "Too unbalanced" was not necessarily my experience. In both cases, I moved my hand around

in circles to see if it would fall off, yet the pen did not fall off my hand. My hands are smaller--glove size

women's 6.5, so the shorter section (noted on my review) is definitely not an issue. Or could it be that

"too unbalanced" is a relative term? :rolleyes: . Doug are you sure that Visconti hasn't spoiled you? :D

fpn_1560859545__balance3771.jpg

fpn_1560859648__balance3771_2.jpg

Helen. The pen is too long for me posted and too short and therefore unbalanced when unposted. Overall it is just too small for me. I thought it might be M800 sized, but I expect it is even smaller than an M600.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

Helen. The pen is too long for me posted and too short and therefore unbalanced when unposted. Overall it is just too small for me. I thought it might be M800 sized, but I expect it is even smaller than an M600.

The barrel of my M200 is 102mm, while the 377 is 95mm. It's only really the large nib of the 377 that saves it from being uncomfortably short IMO, while posted it is too long as you say. 'Oddly proportioned' I would describe it as. One feature I have only just noticed is that the section and end finial are identical. I wonder if this design feature has compromised the whole package, since posting is the same as capping and causes the cap to hang out too far.

The M600 barrel is 102/3mm - the Pelikan Souveran range goes from 102 to 108mm if you discount the M3xx pocket pens. See http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-souveraen.html

Having said that, I'm finding the nib on my red 377 a source of frustration. Either there is not enough flow, or too much (if I wind the converter in). I've tried flexing and micromesh, to not much avail. It could be the ink (Aurora Black, which is a bit gloopy), I dip tested the green 377 with Quink black and that is a whole lot better, a finer line too. I'll probably have a go at stub-ifying the red one to see if i can't make something of it.

The barrel of my M200 is 102mm, while the 377 is 95mm. It's only really the large nib of the 377 that saves it from being uncomfortably short IMO, while posted it is too long as you say. 'Oddly proportioned' I would describe it as. One feature I have only just noticed is that the section and end finial are identical. I wonder if this design feature has compromised the whole package, since posting is the same as capping and causes the cap to hang out too far.

The M600 barrel is 102/3mm - the Pelikan Souveran range goes from 102 to 108mm if you discount the M3xx pocket pens. See http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-souveraen.html

Having said that, I'm finding the nib on my red 377 a source of frustration. Either there is not enough flow, or too much (if I wind the converter in). I've tried flexing and micromesh, to not much avail. It could be the ink (Aurora Black, which is a bit gloopy), I dip tested the green 377 with Quink black and that is a whole lot better, a finer line too. I'll probably have a go at stub-ifying the red one to see if i can't make something of it.

Like Doug's red 377 nib, mine did require a bit of tweaking, and since has been nice to write with--without an ink flow issue. My green 377's nib is smooth, a nice writer and without flow issues. I have kept it inked with Diamine Sherwood Green from day one. I do not find the finial end & section end look an issue. However, I have to admit I am a bit of an eclectic collector, and find interest in various pen looks. I am thinking that because my hands are smaller, it might be the reason I am not being presented with the concerns someone with a much larger hand might have. I recognize that the 377 is larger than a pocket pen, but a bit shorter than a full-sized pen. My green 377 is currently sitting on the table right next to me, for it was the last pen I journaled with before going to bed last night.. NOW my gray Croc. 801 nib caused me that same frustration you are currently having. I often wonder how two different people can purchase the same pen, yet have such a different experience from that same pen model?? I guess it is far too many variables for me to contemplate. :blush:

Like Doug's red 377 nib, mine did require a bit of tweaking, and since has been nice to write with--without an ink flow issue. My green 377's nib is smooth, a nice writer and without flow issues. I have kept it inked with Diamine Sherwood Green from day one. I do not find the finial end & section end look an issue. However, I have to admit I am a bit of an eclectic collector, and find interest in various pen looks. I am thinking that because my hands are smaller, it might be the reason I am not being presented with the concerns someone with a much larger hand might have. I recognize that the 377 is larger than a pocket pen, but a bit shorter than a full-sized pen. My green 377 is currently sitting on the table right next to me, for it was the last pen I journaled with before going to bed last night.. NOW my gray Croc. 801 nib caused me that same frustration you are currently having. I often wonder how two different people can purchase the same pen, yet have such a different experience from that same pen model?? I guess it is far too many variables for me to contemplate. :blush:

I think the nibs have to be the variable here. Certainly two different people will have two different experiences in holding the pen. However, the nibs are a different story. Mine just feels odd and I can't figure out what it is. Feels like a stiff rounded nail.

- William Thackeray

I've now discovered at least some of my nib problems may have been due to the ink - it was Private Reserve Ultra Black, which from what I have read is very free flowing and may cause erratic flow and be 'temperamental'.

I say this because, after doing some grinding of the nib to a stub, the lines it produces varies greatly (not just due to the stroke direction which is to be expected) - sometimes quite average, then other times gushing out and causing the strokes of letters to clump together. This is what I was experiencing when I first inked it up out 'of the box' with the original nib.

I've just taken delivery of some Sheaffer black which I will try in the green pen first, then when the red needs refilling, replenish that with it. Of course, I have many other inks (including several blacks: Diamine, Parker, Waterman), I think I may just have been unlucky with the nib/ink combination.