Crocodile 377

drathbun

Well I was able to locate a Crocodile 377, however, it will not have a gold nib - coming with a standard F. nib. The red/black stripe model is being shipped - now for the 4-5 week wait; however, I did pay for it today! Another Crocodile pen added to my collection. Unless something interesting comes up, this will probably be my last Croc pen. Got my eyes on several PenBBS pens.

Where did you find it Helen?

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• Helen350

• garyc

• penzel_washinkton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where did you find it Helen?

Check your private messages. I was given permission to share this info with you.

The pen in the photo is what I was thinking of.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard, here is my Crocodile 'Duofold'. With my next pen order in May, I will order a new clip to go on it. Cannot stand that clip. What nib will fit this Crocodile. A standard #5 nib does not fit, and I have had no success finding another nib for this pen.

fpn_1555040449__crocodiledufold2.jpg

What about a replacement nib for a Kaigelu 316, which seems to be somewhere around a 5.5? Have seen nibs alone sold on eBay.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

What about a replacement nib for a Kaigelu 316, which seems to be somewhere around a 5.5? Have seen nibs alone sold on eBay.

Previous threads on FPN have shown this isn't an easy change on the Kaigelu 316. Lots of soaking, heat and drilling. Makes me shudder.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

On its way!

uMUrsEO.jpg

JJnzZ3E.jpg

- William Thackeray

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding this Crocodile 377, this one is a classy looking pen. Not as gaudy was one might think Currently have it inked with Diamine Matador, with a #6 nib, and this one is a winner. Drathbun and I will be doing a review soon!

Regarding this Crocodile 377, this one is a classy looking pen. Not as gaudy was one might think Currently have it inked

with Diamine Matador, with a #6 nib, and this one is a winner. Drathbun and I will be doing a review soon!

Yay! I'm excited! :D

- William Thackeray

It finally arrived in the city. It took longer to travel from Burnaby British Columbia to Calgary, Alberta (900km in 11 days) than it took to come from China to Vancouver (9000km in 7 days)!

I should have it in my hands in a couple of hours.

- William Thackeray

First impressions... I'm thrilled with this pen! I have more photos and a YouTube video that I'm working on (not a review... just a first impressions and unwrapping so relax).

Edit: While I'm waiting for my video to compile, I will make these observations which I outline in the video.

Brand and Model: Crocodile 377

Price: $23.00 US with free shipping from Bobby Pens

Nib: Medium (Bobby said it was a Fine, but I feels more like a Medium - it is broader than my medium Visconti Van Gogh)

Nib material: Steel with a two toned gold and silver look and a Crocodile logo

Dimensions & Weights:

Weight - 35g Uncapped - 14g Cap - 16g

Length - 137mm Posted - 161mm Unposted - 119mm Section diameter - 12 - 10mm

Type of ink filler: Cartridge Converter (included) I assume it will take standard international cartridges but I haven't tested it

I assumed this pen would be a brass body with enamel paint. However, the barrel seems to be made from an acrylic resin with a plastic and metal end cap and a plastic and metal section. The section is short, but the transition to the barrel is smooth. It is very light in the hand. The nib needed some smoothing and a bit of adjustment to help the flow. It has improved dramatically after adjustment. The cap has a sturdy but flexible clip which is very attractive and the cap posts with a secure click on the end of the barrel which is visually a mirror image of the section; a nice design element!

For $23.00 US, this is an amazing, quality writing instrument. Is it a Pelikan M800 or M600? No! But it wouldn't look out of place next to one at a meeting. So far, I'm giving this pen a 3 out of 4 as a writer.

MUDohNj.png?1

fZJ5qJr.png?1

Edited by drathbun

- William Thackeray

CROCODILE 377

This pen is classy with a capital 'C'. I strongly feel I have a winner. Now I do admit I had to tweak the nib

just a bit, however, with only a bit of micromesh & flexing the nib, it is wet & smooth. I have shown the pen

to a couple of folks, and they thought I had paid 3 times more than what I paid for it. If I were sitting in a

board room taking notes, any other more expensive pen would not make me feel intimidated. The pen

cap is not heavy, therefore it is well balanced when capped. Deep burgundy in color (reminds me

somewhat of the Platinum 3776 Bourgogne, with black stripes down the pen body. The section is short, however, the transition is smoooooth.The cap clicks in place when you cap the pen, securing the cap to

the body. The cap finial has as gold tone Crocodile encased in a small acrylic bubble. There is a gold

tone band around the center of the cap finial. The clip is two tone, and shaped like an arrow. Will fit

nice on a shirt pocket. The end cap and section mirror each other. I have been writing with this pen

since I received it last week. Each day the nib flows better. Have used: 20 lb. weight, 24 lb. weight

& art paper in my Prayer Journal. The nib is a #6 nib--two tone-- Crocodile on the nib. It is evident

that China is upping its game in pen making. If I had a gold nib that would fit, I would use it with this

pen. The pen came with a nice pen sleeve. I want to assure you that this pen is not gaudy, but well

made and lovely. Since I keep my pens in pen cases I did not order a pen box. Converter

Had not been able to locate this pen on Ebay or Etsy. However, found a seller who was willing to locate

the pen for me and Drathbun. The seller does not currently carry this pen in stock, however, expressed

that he would be willing to have some in stock if anyone is interested. If you are interested you can

purchase them from Bobby Etsy shop--Bobby Pen/Chinese Pens. Cost: $23.98. They come in three

colors: Red/Black;; Green/Black and Black. Nib size: EF/F.

STATS:

LENGTH: Posted - 5 1/3"

Capped - 6 1/4

Uncapped - 4 3/4"

SECTION: 3/4" - with a small rim at the base of the section. Transition is so smooth, I do not notice it.

End cap and section mirror one another.

CAP:: 2 1/3" long; band has a Crocodile engraved on it. Does not have a model # engraved. Better pen

usually do not. Cap top has a gold Crocodile encased in an acrylic bubble; gold band around the

center of the cap finial. Unique finial.

CLIP:: Two-tone, shaped like an arrow, snug

NIB SIZE: Unique #6 - two-tone with Crocodile emblem

WEIGHT: Posted - 36g

Cap - 16g

uMUrsEO.jpg

JJnzZ3E.jpg
icm_fullxfull.201092123_ie8saflfc1wg4g88

Whether you like it or not, here is my YouTube unwrapping and FIRST IMPRESSIONS only of the new Crocodile 377 fountain pen. As has been said here earlier, this pen is only available privately through Bobby Pens of eBay (office_supplies_pen). Bobby has said that if he has enough interest, he might start stocking them. I don't pretend to be a fountain pen authority like some here, but I do like this pen even though I've only used it for a couple of days. My rating system comes from 35 years as a university professor and is easily understood... 4 = perfection, 3 = above average, 2 = passable, 1 = failure with half markings acceptable. As to the discrepancy between Helen's nib size of EF/F and my nib size of M, the pen is not marked. Bobby said it was a Fine, but it is the same thickness or thicker than all of my Medium pens (Visconti, Kaigelu, Picasso). Perhaps mine IS a Medium. I have no clue as it came with a sleeve and nothing else. Too much stress about this. I'm going to go play my guitar.

- William Thackeray

I think I have to take back my words on this pen.

It looks not as gaudy as I think it would be from the photograph. Still think the center band and the silver/gold colored clip not to my taste though.

I think I have to take back my words on this pen.

It looks not as gaudy as I think it would be from the photograph. Still think the center band and the silver/gold colored clip not to my taste though.

Is it the cap band that you do not like??? Interesting. We pen collectors are a finicky group, but that is what

makes us unique. The Croc 377 is really a beautiful pen, ;)

I think it is very attractive. The shine, sparkle and depth of the acrylic striped body is particularly pleasing.

Rm3FoPs.png?1

- William Thackeray

Bobby now has these pens in red and green stripe, available on his Etsy site:

Crocodile 377 on Etsy

- William Thackeray

Is it the cap band that you do not like??? Interesting. We pen collectors are a finicky group, but that is what

makes us unique. The Croc 377 is really a beautiful pen, ;)

Yep, large like the ones on the Platinum Plaisirs.

That is true, some people like the styling and that is no problem at all.

What is swaying me though is the #6 nib.

Yep, large like the ones on the Platinum Plaisirs.

That is true, some people like the styling and that is no problem at all.

What is swaying me though is the #6 nib.

It is a unique #6 nib. With all of the writing I have done since its arrival, the nib is smoother with each use.

Placed an order for the green with black stripe. Just inked the red one for the third time. I journal and write

Biblical studies, so I tend to do quite a bit of writing. I have several other pens with a wide cap band: Wing Sung

3008, Delike New Moon, and an Airmail pen from India. I also own a pen that was made for me with a wide,

decorative band, The decorative band is quite unique. Trusting that I will receive my new Crocodile 377 in the

next 15-21 days. Hoping you might give the 377 a try. :rolleyes:

the pen made for me, with the decorative band, is the 2nd from your left:

fpn_1557266952__snapshot_20141107.jpg