Crocodile 377

drathbun

Has anyone seen these pens for sale anywhere? I can't find this specific model anywhere. I've seen many with the funky dragon clip but this model seems to be styled after a Pelikan M800.

http://www.picassopen.com/Upload/PicFiles/053-377.jpg

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• Helen350

• garyc

• penzel_washinkton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Goodness, looks so gaudy...

And this doesn't?

http://www.canit.se/~griffon/writing/pens/pelikan_m800.jpg

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

And this doesn't?

Also looks gaudy but not to the extent of the Crocodile pens does.

The gold-silver trims and the large center band...

I will have to keep my eye out for that pen, particularly the one that has the Pelikan appeal!

Thank goodness there are pens on the market to satisfy every particular and 'persnickity'

taste in the FP community. We FP connoisseurs are a unique people! ;) :wacko: :doh: :wub:

Has anyone seen these pens for sale anywhere? I can't find this specific model anywhere. I've seen many with the funky dragon clip but this model seems to be styled after a Pelikan M800.

http://www.picassopen.com/Upload/PicFiles/053-377.jpg

I've looked on Ebay, Amazon, Banggood and AliExpress with no success. If you manage to locate them please let me know!

I'll keep watching for them Helen. In the meantime, I'm looking at getting one of these Crocodile pens and replacing the clip. Seems like an easy fix. Of course, I'll try the pen first and if it is a dud, no one will see it in the drawer.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

This one looks interesting too. It has gold metal threads on the body instead of black plastic.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by drathbun

- William Thackeray

I find it interesting that this page also has the Picasso logo on the top. The About page mentions:

Shanghai European Crocodile Stationery Co., Ltd. is a professional agent for selling authentic crocodile series gold pens. It has been operating in China for nearly ten years. Now set up Picasso Golden Pen Agent Sales Company----Shanghai Yixiang Stationery Co., Ltd. Shanghai Yixiang Stationery Co., Ltd. is honored to be honored and authorized by Picasso International Enterprise Co., Ltd. to exclusively represent the authentic Picasso art gold pen series products in China. The Picasso Art Palace in France is the only registered trademark of the Art Palace. It is the authentic Picasso art gold pen series. In view of the current confusion on Picasso's true and false market, Shanghai Yixiang Stationary Co., Ltd. solemnly declares: The company is the only one in China to receive the honorary authorization of Picasso International Enterprise Co., Ltd., the exclusive agent of the authentic Picasso [PICASSO] gold pen products in China. Agent Sales.

I think they want us to know they are the authentic agents of Picasso.

And next to the 377 models is text that says "The dreamlike beauty series [Dreamy-Red]" "The dreamlike beauty series [Dreamy-Green]" "The dreamlike beauty series [black]"

I'm guessing they want to reference the Picasso "Dreamy Polka".

- William Thackeray

Their homepage shop link (on Alibaba) is dead.

I wonder why so many Chinese companies are not able to have a functional homepage - or a homepage at all - Jinhao: same problem.

I find it interesting that this page also has the Picasso logo on the top. The About page mentions:

Shanghai European Crocodile Stationery Co., Ltd. is a professional agent for selling authentic crocodile series gold pens. It has been operating in China for nearly ten years. Now set up Picasso Golden Pen Agent Sales Company----Shanghai Yixiang Stationery Co., Ltd. Shanghai Yixiang Stationery Co., Ltd. is honored to be honored and authorized by Picasso International Enterprise Co., Ltd. to exclusively represent the authentic Picasso art gold pen series products in China. The Picasso Art Palace in France is the only registered trademark of the Art Palace. It is the authentic Picasso art gold pen series. In view of the current confusion on Picasso's true and false market, Shanghai Yixiang Stationary Co., Ltd. solemnly declares: The company is the only one in China to receive the honorary authorization of Picasso International Enterprise Co., Ltd., the exclusive agent of the authentic Picasso [PICASSO] gold pen products in China. Agent Sales.

I think they want us to know they are the authentic agents of Picasso.

And next to the 377 models is text that says "The dreamlike beauty series [Dreamy-Red]" "The dreamlike beauty series [Dreamy-Green]" "The dreamlike beauty series [black]"

I'm guessing they want to reference the Picasso "Dreamy Polka".

The gold Picasso 18 Dreamy Polka is a pen that I am longing to add to my collection. My next Picasso purchase will be the 962 in Linen Brown.

I'll keep watching for them Helen. In the meantime, I'm looking at getting one of these Crocodile pens and replacing the clip. Seems like an easy fix. Of course, I'll try the pen first and if it is a dud, no one will see it in the drawer.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

This one looks interesting too. It has gold metal threads on the body instead of black plastic.

Drathbun, I have looked at the red version of this pen for several years, however, like yourself, I do not like that clip. Had not thought of replacing the clip. How much are those clips, and where did you locate them???

HTB1zsa5xQKWBuNjy1zjq6AOypXav.jpg?width=

Drathbun, I have looked at the red version of this pen for several years, however, like yourself, I do not like that clip. Had not thought of replacing the clip. How much are those clips, and where did you locate them???

Helen,

Just search for "Set of 5 Fountain Pen Clips - Elephant Type, Gold Plated" on eBay or Etsy. They ship from India in sets of five for $14.99 US. They have different types from the Parker arrow to the Sheaffer ball. Here is a set of three different pairs:

s-l500.jpg

Bobby Pens has four colours of the Crocodile "celluloid" on sale; green, amber, blue and red marble for $18.33US. The Amber one isn't the prettiest though, and, of course, the whole thing depends on that nib. If it writes anywhere near as well as my Kaigelu 316, I might have to buy all four and change out the clips.

Edited by drathbun

- William Thackeray

I think the Crocodile 801 straight out of the box is a better pen than the K316.

The finial on the barrel is plastic, so the balance is better than the K316. The barrel finial and section are self coloured plastic so there is no paint to chip away. The nibs are pretty much of a muchness.

The K316 offers more scope for improvement. I have never taken a C801 apart to check if I can change the clip. While it's gaudy, the thin plating wears fairly fast & it doesn't look so flashy after a while. I love my royal blue one, it's stunning.

Regards,

Richard.

I think the Crocodile 801 straight out of the box is a better pen than the K316.

The finial on the barrel is plastic, so the balance is better than the K316. The barrel finial and section are self coloured plastic so there is no paint to chip away. The nibs are pretty much of a muchness.

The K316 offers more scope for improvement. I have never taken a C801 apart to check if I can change the clip. While it's gaudy, the thin plating wears fairly fast & it doesn't look so flashy after a while. I love my royal blue one, it's stunning.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks for your input Richard. I own two of the K316-a lovely pen. I remember back about

3-4 yrs ago when there was a lot of discussion about the K316 on FPN. Some replaced the

finial with a replacement finial you made. Doyou write with your K316 routinely? Now with

about 250 pens in my small collection, I find some pens take time to get around to using.

So far, is the plating on your Crocodile staying put?.

. .

I have used one intensively for a month or so, and the highlights on the clip are looking greyer than on the ones I haven't used so much, indicating the plating is wearing away. With no comparitor, it looks good, but next to a pristine one it looks a bit tired.

Just as an aside, I do seem to be very hard on my pens, having pretty acid skin amongst other things, and in three weeks I can put more wear on a pen than a colleague does in 18 months. Basically if I have a pen with me, it lives through what I do regardless of where I go. Up on a roof, in my workshop, with me testing boxes in freezers down to -50C, and writing on any available material from paper, skin, timber, slate and metals.

Regards,

Richard.

I have used one intensively for a month or so, and the highlights on the clip are looking greyer than on the ones I haven't used so much, indicating the plating is wearing away. With no comparitor, it looks good, but next to a pristine one it looks a bit tired.

Just as an aside, I do seem to be very hard on my pens, having pretty acid skin amongst other things, and in three weeks I can put more wear on a pen than a colleague does in 18 months. Basically if I have a pen with me, it lives through what I do regardless of where I go. Up on a roof, in my workshop, with me testing boxes in freezers down to -50C, and writing on any available material from paper, skin, timber, slate and metals.

Regards,

Richard.

I thought I remembered you having a challenge with acidic skin. I vaguely remember you and I discussing

the plating on the K316 being thin. The trim on my K316 still looks pristine after 3 yrs of use. Actually

all of my Chinese pens have not suffered any problems with loss of plating. I keep my pens in zippered

pen cases. The only pen I've questioned has been the WS 3008. Of the three I ordered, only one of them

has a gold trim. Going to keep my eye on it with it being a much cheaper pen. Apart from the trim, the

WS 3008 is a pleasant surprise to work with.

Regards,

Richard.

Is this the Crocodile 801 (royal blue) of which you speak Richard?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/172583049017

s-l1600.jpg

- William Thackeray

• 4 weeks later...

Well I was able to locate a Crocodile 377, however, it will not have a gold nib - coming with a standard F. nib. The red/black stripe model is being shipped - now for the 4-5 week wait; however, I did pay for it today! Another Crocodile pen added to my collection. Unless something interesting comes up, this will probably be my last Croc pen. Got my eyes on several PenBBS pens.