Pelikan Special Edition Classic M120 Iconic Blue B Nib

Tom Kellie

Pelikan Special Edition Classic M120 Iconic Blue B Nib

~ Nearly all of the fountain pens on my writing desk are Montblancs. A half dozen Parker 51s and several Lamys are also available for writing or sketching.

Heretofore only two Pelikans were present — a 1960s 140 M and a 1950s 400 OF. Both are superb writers without any issues.

My FPN friend Lam1 has cheerfully promoted Pelikan, keeping me aware of the beauty of both vintage and recent Pelikan fountain pens.

Despite the Montblanc 149s I regularly use, I like smaller-scale fountain pens. I'm 191 cm, yet my large fingers easily hold diminutive pens.

By chance I saw a photograph of a blue fountain pen about five months ago. After looking, it was identified as a Pelikan Special Edition Classic M120 Iconic Blue pen.

After seeing it, my thoughts kept returning to it. Comparable to a school pen, the design, ink window, intense blue hue, and the nib decoration all appealed to me.

The Fritz Schimpf stationery company in Tübingen, Germany had one in stock with a Breit (B) nib, which was my preference.

During the ordering process, it was suggested that Fritz Schimpf's nib grinder could take the B nib and give it an Italic character.

I'd never ordered any such grind before, but trusted the advice given, so ordered it. I'm so glad that I did as the result is outstanding.

As Fritz Schimpf is full-service, I also ordered five bottles of Fritz Schimpf's in-house ink, including two bottles of their Fritzrot Rusty Red.

I also ordered a 3-pen Pelikan black leather etui and two pads of Fritz Schimpf writing paper for fountain pens, which is so good that I'll order more.

There are substantial issues at present concerning the importation of “foreign” goods into the country where I work and live.

Fritz Schimpf was sensitive to those potential problems, working closely with me and two other friends to make possible the shipment.

The Pelikan Special Edition Classic M120 Iconic Blue pen with the Fritz Schimpf Italic B grind is a pleasant surprise.

It's a bit larger than I expected. The piston knob is smooth, the overall handling is comfortable.

The nib is everything that I'd hoped for and more. There's no skipping, it starts every time, the letters are crisp and even.

For printing, cursive and sketching, it meets my modest requirements. I'll put it to work in classes next week.

Inked with Fritz Schimpf Fritzrot Rusty Red ink, it's the sort of practical working tool which I appreciate.

After such a positive experience, I'll continue adding small Pelikans from Fritz Schimpf to the little nest on my writing desk.

Tom K.

fpn_1552067256__personal_note_by_montbla

Personal Note Written with a Prototype Montblanc Expression Nib

fpn_1552067325__bubble-wrapped_goods.jpg

Bubble-wrapped Goods

fpn_1552067366__from_tbingen_germany.jpg

From Tübingen, Germany

fpn_1552067417__pelikan_leder_etui.jpg

Pelikan Leder Etui

fpn_1552067460__etui_for_three_pens.jpg

Etui for Three Pens

fpn_1552067508__presentation_box.jpg

Presentation Box

fpn_1552067561__dark_brown_ribbon.jpg

Dark Brown Ribbon

fpn_1552067603__purchase_information.jpg

Purchase Information

fpn_1552067650__pelikan_special_edition_

Pelikan Special Edition Classic M120 Iconic Blue B

fpn_1552067723__fritz_schimpf_italic_b_g

Fritz Schimpf Italic B Grind M120

fpn_1552067779__pelikan_m120_b_feed.jpg

Pelikan M120 B Feed

fpn_1552067820__pelikan_m120_iconic_blue

Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue

fpn_1552067919__pelikan_m120_note.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Calabria

• Lam1

• BillH

Tom,

Thank you for sharing with us these beautiful photos and the full package,

Always a joy to read your posts.

Indeed 120 is a lovely pen, with a great nib.

Good reminder to ink mine...

Enjoy!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Great to see your post Tom, I always look forward to your posts on the MB forum. Enjoy.

Peter

Very interesting, thank you; how much did they charge for grinding it?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I'm so glad to see you adding a Pelikan, Tom.

And that italic grind looks superb.

Congrats on the new acquisition!

I never ordered from Fritz Schimpf (I'm pretty loyal to LCdC), but your post made me want some of that ink and paper.

Does Yubi approve of Pelikans? :)

Tom, so great to see you again! And with a custom ground nib'd Pelikan no less. Nice choice. Your photographs are superb too. Thanks so much.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Nice little Christmas package out of season 😊

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Very nice. I'm jealous of the nib -- my Iconic Blue has a boring M nib (but the pen is still a great writer).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think the M120 is one of the best modern production Pelikan pens out there today so congrats on picking one up. Fritz Schimpf is my go to Pelikan supplier and they are a first rate operation. Glad to heart that you had a good experience. Enjoy your pen!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Very interesting, thank you; how much did they charge for grinding it?

~ pseudo88:

I don't directly handle the purchases of pens, inks or paper. Long-time friends overseas do that.

Therefore I don't know the financial details concerning the invoices for anything which comes to my writing desk.

Funds are withdrawn from my account, but the details I never closely examine.

Whatever the modest in-house Fritz Schimpf grinding charge was, it was more than worth it, given the crisp, sprightly writing.

I've been telling myself that I should have considered such a custom grind long ago.

Tom K.

I think the M120 is one of the best modern production Pelikan pens out there today so congrats on picking one up. Fritz Schimpf is my go to Pelikan supplier and they are a first rate operation. Glad to heart that you had a good experience. Enjoy your pen!

https://thepelikansperch.com/2018/02/16/pelikan-m120-iconic-blue-announced/

~ sargetalon:

I'd read about the Iconic Blue M120 in helpful The Pelikan's Perch news article above.

As time passed it remained in my thoughts, as there was a place for a monotone school pen in my pen case.

Although I'd never ordered from Fritz Schimpf, their Fritzrot Rusty Red ink attracted me.

When I confirmed that they had an Iconic Blue M120 B nib in stock, it seemed that the time was optimal for an overseas order.

You're so right — Fritz Schimpf is indeed a first-rate operation. Their flexibility concerning the peculiar shipping and customs requirements of the area where I work was especially appreciated.

The suggestion of a custom grind for the B nib was a new step for me. My confidence in Fritz Schimpf's taste and professionalism resulted in an order for the custom Italic B grind.

When the package arrived yesterday, I was impressed by the state-of-the-art care afforded each item. Nothing was damaged, despite the distance shipped.

The custom Italic B grind exceeds all of my expectations. It's been done with great care with superb results. Such a smooth, crisp writing experience.

This won't be a one-off order. There's likely to be future Pelikan small-size fountain pens, inks, and paper ordered from Fritz Schimpf, shipped to me in the Far East.

Tom K.

A delightful story, always gratifying to hear of a positive experience with a retailer.

I don't think I have seen better photos of this pen, you really have shown it off to it's greatest effect. It is an incredible experieince when you get a nib customization that hits the mark, almost addictive. I bought a couple pens recently (L A Pen Show) and had nib customizations done by both John Motishaw and Mike Masuyama. I can't seem to put them down which is frustrating because I bought several other pens a well. Hope to get some photos up on the new acquisitions thread soon, maybe tomorrow, But what a problem to complain about, eh?

Anyway, happy things went so well for you and so nice to read about it here.

fpn_1552111616__iconic_blue_appreciation

That's a lovely letter, especially with the decoration!

It's kind of remarkable when people who have much more expensive pens in their collection appreciate the simple joy of the M120. I'm liking mine much more now, too.

Where in the Far East if I may ask?

Derek

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Congratulations on that lovely blue Pelikan. I too enjoyed reading your post. Italic and stub nibs are my favorites. I bought a Pelikan italic nib unit, but it is not nearly as crisp as I would like.

Pelikan is a really great brand. It is not always flashy, but the quality and reliability are always there.

Posted Image

Appears close to the blue of the old Galeria Kaufhaus 605.

Fritz is right down the road (2 hours by Autobahn), glad to know he's got a in-house nib grinder. I got my marbled brown 200 from him.

Am thinking of getting a B nib for a 200...hadn't until now give any thought to getting CI.

I do have a Lamy CI nib of that size.....do have a couple of M nibs, I could send south. Hummmm....dithering by me takes much longer than average.

Same ink as a sample when I bought my Marbled Brown..

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.