Acceptable Price Of M800 Tortoise

Hyukken

Hello

I am a newbie to the fountain pen world, but since the first sight of M800 tortoise

even I already have a dozen of FP now, it's still on my mind.

I've done some research, but it was two years before,

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/317433-value-of-m800-tortoiseshell-brown/

so as the topic says, what's the acceptable / latest buying price of you???

also would like to know about the price of GvFC Intuition Pernambuco :blush: (I just can't resist brown color :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mulrich

• invisuu

• BillH

• WLSpec

I think the prices in that thread are still reasonable. It's rare to see these go for less than $600. I think someone recently found one for less but this was a fluke (I think it was sold for the original MSRP by an obscure stationary store in Europe that didn't specialize in pens and had it sitting around since 2013).

These don't come up for sale very often so it's hard to nail down a price. I think fair value is probably anywhere from $700-1000 depending on nib and condition (plus random variation in buyer/seller motivations).

Edit to add…

The most recent sale I could find on eBay was $1099 in December.

Edited by Mulrich

The last few I had I sold last year for around $800 in near mint, but with M nibs.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

There is a spectrum here with about $600 on the low end and $1300+ on the high end. Both extremes are unrealistic. If you can find one in the $700-800 range, I think you've done well. Anything less than that is a great deal. Hard to really gauge the market due to the lack of frequency with which these come up/sell but are well worth seeking out.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Mine for sure won't come up for sale!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I bought one at 800EUR and sold it also at 800EUR (~$900). I bought a second one at 850EUR (~$960), but it has really a perfect finish all around the barrel, which is not that common. The first one had a black spot running across several stripes and it made the pen a little dull at that spot.

I then bought an OB nib for mine at 220EUR, but sold the one it came with for 120EUR. So the total price for mine was 950EUR (~$1080). The OB nib is rare and out of production, which obviously adds value to the pen, as many have noted here before, a standard M nib is simply not as appealing for a rare pen like this. Plus I find the M800 oblique nibs fantastic.

Im currently offering this one with the OB nib for only $900, so after paypal fees and shipping Im looking at a significant loss. For what its worth, there hasnt been much interest.

Not sure if the market has changed, but I doubt it. There simply arent any for sale, except one for $2000 on ebay with a stock standard nib, which is an insane price.

The M800 brown tortoise is still my favorite pen. So honestly, if it doesnt sell, Im happy. I have an excuse I tried selling it and couldnt so now I get to keep it. Should keep external pushers for sale (you know, like wives and such) at bay :D

Theres a OBB one on eBay right now with a current bid of $511 with just under two days to go. Id be shocked if this stayed below invisuus listed price.

Dang, $500+ and 2 days still left to go is really high. Everyone who has ever bid on ebay knows the real bidding starts last minutes. I put it under watch - I am interested at what price it goes. Thanks for sharing.

I put in a bid on an omas arco last week about 30 minutes before it closed. I bid $800 and fully expected to get outbid. I was the high bidder until the last 30 seconds when the price shot up to over $1200.

I've been that guy before, so many times... sometimes it's a relief when that last couple of bids takes it SO far out of your range. Then again, I've put in what I thought were nose bleed bids and then had the last sniper fall out $5 or $10 below me.

Not sure what the worse addiction is, collecting pens or bidding on pens ;)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I was actually relieved not to win. I already have the pen and couldnt justify another one unless it was a crazy deal.

I’ve seen 1000s on Amazon for as low as $300... I wonder if 800s get down there from time to time. I wouldn’t expect that price though, and 1000 and 800, though alike, are different pens.

Looks like it went for $1000. About as Id expect.

If only they realized they could pick up the same pen from you for even less…

I’ve seen 1000s on Amazon for as low as $300... I wonder if 800s get down there from time to time. I wouldn’t expect that price though, and 1000 and 800, though alike, are different pens.

With some patience you can find M800s for ~$300, but the M800 in question on this thread was a special edition that typically sells for much more.