Ranga Pens: Where/how To Buy?

FountainClogger

The last pen received from Ranga sailed thru' without issue. Where possible I opt for Post rather than courier. Takes longer, but costs less.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhguda

• sansenri

• Jamerelbe

• sgphototn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Aysedasi said:

It may well be the case that the additional sum was for some kind of import tax.  I expected to pay it in the UK when the pen arrived, but I lucked in.  It got through without any extra charge.  I'm waiting for a pen from the USA to arrive and I expect to have to pay on that one, I had pretty much stopped buying from sellers in the US as the parcels always got caught for tax.  

No, the import duty was indicated separately, and while it was higher than expected, that was OK with me. Government also adds a VAT that while I think is not completely fair (it's imported after all) I can still accept. These two were about half of what DHL charged me. The rest was "charges" and "processing charges". Two separate items. When I asked they could not explain. In normal times, when you pay the shipping charges when buying an item, you're not charged anymore - the courier just delivers the package.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

7 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

The last pen received from Ranga sailed thru' without issue. Where possible I opt for Post rather than courier. Takes longer, but costs less.

Ah, there's the rub. The only option offered is courier. I do not mind the Post taking longer - it already takes quite a while, since they have to make the pen first!

7 minutes ago, mhguda said:

The only option offered is courier

The new "normal."  It's only money tho'; but pens are, y'know, PENS.

Add lightness and simplicate.

4 hours ago, mhguda said:

No, the import duty was indicated separately, and while it was higher than expected, that was OK with me. Government also adds a VAT that while I think is not completely fair (it's imported after all) I can still accept. These two were about half of what DHL charged me. The rest was "charges" and "processing charges". Two separate items. When I asked they could not explain. In normal times, when you pay the shipping charges when buying an item, you're not charged anymore - the courier just delivers the package.

OK, well I think I'd be as miffed as you then.  I think I'd also be writing to DHL asking for a full breakdown of their additional charges.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

Something interesting happened when I clicked that link. My AV blocked me from accessing and said it had secured a threat. So, thanks but I guess no thanks...

1 minute ago, mhguda said:

Something interesting happened when I clicked that link. My AV blocked me from accessing and said it had secured a threat. So, thanks but I guess no thanks...

It's safe for me with no alerts from my anti-virus.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

No hard feelings, I hope, but I've learned the hard way, when my antivirus wants to protect me, I let it.

5 minutes ago, mhguda said:

No hard feelings, I hope, but I've learned the hard way, when my antivirus wants to protect me, I let it.

Certainly not any hard feelings. But the website show many charges that apply to your country that don't apply in the US. I suspect that's why you had charges you weren't expecting.

If you have your DHL shipping number you could probably see online what and why you were charged, but I understand your reluctance to do so.

👍

On 4/4/2021 at 9:19 AM, Aysedasi said:

It may well be the case that the additional sum was for some kind of import tax.  I expected to pay it in the UK when the pen arrived, but I lucked in.  It got through without any extra charge.  I'm waiting for a pen from the USA to arrive and I expect to have to pay on that one, I had pretty much stopped buying from sellers in the US as the parcels always got caught for tax.  

Just as a complete aside, my pen arrived from the states today (big thanks to Vicary!) and although it took three and a half weeks to reach me, it wasn't picked up by customs for a charge.  Very sweet outcome  :)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

good for you. Enjoy. Rub it in.

1 hour ago, mhguda said:

good for you. Enjoy. Rub it in.

@mhguda, I almost wish I had the same problem with extra charges on arrival in Australia - it would have given me an extra reason not to buy another Ranga pen I don't actually need!  As it is, there's now an Abhimanyu group buy pen with my name on it, somewhere in the production pipeline... 😗

@Jamerelbe don't worry, you would have found a way out of it... I've thought of one, it's still more expensive than what it used to be, but definitely not as crazy as with the DHL charges - I will probably use my remailer. They also charge for customs and VAT, but that's it and it is usually reasonable. I've done that before with other things, so we'll see if Ranga can make that happen...

12 hours ago, mhguda said:

@Jamerelbe don't worry, you would have found a way out of it... I've thought of one, it's still more expensive than what it used to be, but definitely not as crazy as with the DHL charges - I will probably use my remailer. They also charge for customs and VAT, but that's it and it is usually reasonable. I've done that before with other things, so we'll see if Ranga can make that happen...

@mhguda you may well be right - I guess we'll never know!  There *is* an order (and warranty replacement) I'm waiting on from fpnibs.com, though - and it's the massively inflated postage costs that have me waiting for that one...  Let me know how you go with ordering from Ranga - I have one Abhimanyu already, and for the price I'd say both the pen style and the acrylic made it a great purchase!

That is true, they are great pens. It was my second that broke the bank, so to speak. At that time I bought three - my second, and two more as gifts for special people's special birthdays... Which I why I did not contest the inflated charges. I now have one ebonite and one acrylic, they're great lookers, and also very nice writers.

Excited that the Abhimanyu is on its way to me!

On another note a new group by for the 4/4C/5 in stripy acrylics was just announced

On 4/8/2021 at 12:46 PM, mhguda said:

That is true, they are great pens. It was my second that broke the bank, so to speak. At that time I bought three - my second, and two more as gifts for special people's special birthdays... Which I why I did not contest the inflated charges. I now have one ebonite and one acrylic, they're great lookers, and also very nice writers.

Really odd what is happening to you with these shippings.

My last shipping from India by courier did not get taxed at all either...

Have you tried buying from their amazon.com store? is there a tax+shipping included options that you can check cost upfront and not be charged extra on arrival, on arbitrary fees calculated by the courier?... (I've not visited their store in a while).

I think you should also possibly explain to Mr. Kandan what is happening and see if he can find shipping alternatives to DHL (obviously if the charges are added arbitrarily at your end there is not much he can do...)