Ranga Pens: Where/how To Buy?

FountainClogger

I ordered a 9B Giant and had it in my hands about 10 days later in the UK.  Very pleased indeed (especially as I didn't have to pay any import duty).  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhguda

• sansenri

• Jamerelbe

• Strombomboli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Jamerelbe for this great answer!

Looks great, I'll probably place an order in the near future 🙂

Check out my website about Photography and Ink-making: WWW.LOKE.BE

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 5:22 AM, Jamerelbe said:

Tracking pens sent from India is notoriously difficult - the tracking seems to stop somewhere in India, and under normal circumstances it can take another 3-4 weeks to reach me here in Aus. Remember too, these aren't normal circumstances - so it could well take a bit longer!

Hi Jamerlbe

Also adding detailed info on postal options in India

India Post gives multiple shipping options :

• Registered Post (Airmail Post) : This is the most inexpesive method of shipping pens across the world. General Timelines are : 3-5 weeks (May vary due to Covid)
  • Speed Post (EMS) : This is actually the expensive option of shipping. Timeline are 1-3 weeks max.
  • Parcel Post : Large Shipment specifically containing inks. Timelines are anywhere between 4 to 8 weeks

Specializing in India Made Pens

Check out our link.tree below:

Web Store / Instagram

My last order from Mr Kandan arrived very quickly and I'm just waiting for another one to be made.

I thought the shipping fees to the UK were very reasonable and delivery was just a few days 🙂

4 hours ago, Qalam said:

Hi Jamerlbe

Also adding detailed info on postal options in India

India Post gives multiple shipping options :

• Registered Post (Airmail Post) : This is the most inexpesive method of shipping pens across the world. General Timelines are : 3-5 weeks (May vary due to Covid)
  • Speed Post (EMS) : This is actually the expensive option of shipping. Timeline are 1-3 weeks max.
  • Parcel Post : Large Shipment specifically containing inks. Timelines are anywhere between 4 to 8 weeks

Thanks for the details!  At the moment, I don't think Ranga are using a Courier (their emails don't say which one), and are charging extra for shipping as a consequence (about US$15 for Australian buyers, which they say accounts for half the price they pay).  The upside of this is that shipping is taking a few days rather than a few weeks!

On 3/9/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jamerelbe said:

I placed an order shortly before Christmas - the first Abhimanyu group buy.  They're using a more expensive courier (can't remember who), which means they're charging buyers for postage (it used to be included in the price) - but the pen arrived in Australia within a week or two of ordering, as opposed to the lengthy delays associated with India Post.

Jamerelbe, just wondering how much you paid to ship to Australia? Thinking about ordering from the recent group buy but need to factor for the total cost first.  Edit: realised the post above already answered my question!

Also, thankyou for posting a review about the Ranga nib! In particular their flex one is one I am potentially interested in getting, and was having trouble finding much information on them. Would you happen to know how they compare to Noodler's flex nibs?

To get me my pen (to Curaçao) Ranga charged me $15 and shipped with DHL. the trouble is that DHL turned and charged me an additional $60 equivalent in our local currency. I had to pay in order to get my pens (two intended for gifts) but I am superannoyed by it and will hold off on Ranga buys for the foreseeable future. DHL does not even really specify what the extra amount is for, just invoices for several "charges".

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

38 minutes ago, mhguda said:

To get me my pen (to Curaçao) Ranga charged me $15 and shipped with DHL. the trouble is that DHL turned and charged me an additional $60 equivalent in our local currency. I had to pay in order to get my pens (two intended for gifts) but I am superannoyed by it and will hold off on Ranga buys for the foreseeable future. DHL does not even really specify what the extra amount is for, just invoices for several "charges".

Surely you're entitled to a better explanation than that?  

I suppose, but it's proven difficult to get that kind of info from them - this was actually the second time something like that happened. The first time, I complained to Ranga, too, and they gave me some compensation, but DHL has not changed the way they charge - obviously on both ends of a delivery. Very frustrating.

My last three purchases from Ranga were shipped via DHL for $15 for each shipment to the US. No other charges. For the speed at which I receive my Ranga orders with tracking throughout I find $15 very reasonable.

Perhaps DHL in your location charges additional fees or perhaps your service wasn't the regular fee. 

Maybe there are custom or government fees that DHL is required to charge.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

3 hours ago, mhguda said:

From my experience of living on islands in the Caribbean, the charges levied by the customs service, as well as those (usually 'processing' fees) added by courier companies are almost entirely random, and questioning them gets you absolutely nowhere.  The only thing that seems to help is if they either come in in the occasional 'dollar barrel' schemes, via the regular post office or when they're clearly described as used goods. 

Do you have to pay duty etc if things come in via the Netherlands? 

@mizgeorge, you hit the nail on the head. If it comes via the post office, or via the Netherlands, or whatever, yes we pay a duty if it's above a certain amount, and if it's not books. That is an accepted fact of life, and while a nuisance, it's expected. But the couriers add to that, and you never get any explanation on what the charges are for, that are added over and above the duties.

9 hours ago, mhguda said:

I suppose, but it's proven difficult to get that kind of info from them - this was actually the second time something like that happened. The first time, I complained to Ranga, too, and they gave me some compensation, but DHL has not changed the way they charge - obviously on both ends of a delivery. Very frustrating.

wow that is so frustrating! I wonder if it would improve with another postal carrier? On the other hand I can understand that Ranga probably chose DHL for their reliable service and large global delivery network. What's unfortunate are the unexpected charges on top of the already expensive shopping costs. Wonder if carriers do this because they know we have no choice but to pay up. But it's not unreasonable to for them to be able to provide an itemised explanation of these charges. Since they cannot, makes it feel they are making it up as they go. Customer trouble with postal carriers really can make or break small businesses. Unrelated to pens and delivery charges, but I stopped buying from a company after their carrier was unable to deliver items to me undamaged. One time it was obvious the package was either thrown or stomped on, and yet it was clearly marked fragile. I

1 hour ago, Ayami_109 said:

wow that is so frustrating! I wonder if it would improve with another postal carrier? On the other hand I can understand that Ranga probably chose DHL for their reliable service and large global delivery network. What's unfortunate are the unexpected charges on top of the already expensive shopping costs. Wonder if carriers do this because they know we have no choice but to pay up. But it's not unreasonable to for them to be able to provide an itemised explanation of these charges. Since they cannot, makes it feel they are making it up as they go. Customer trouble with postal carriers really can make or break small businesses. Unrelated to pens and delivery charges, but I stopped buying from a company after their carrier was unable to deliver items to me undamaged. One time it was obvious the package was either thrown or stomped on, and yet it was clearly marked fragile. I

Ranga have been forced to rely on an international courier, because India Post is no longer shipping out of the country.  They used to include the cost of shipping in the purchase price of the pen, but now add an extra US$10-15 on top to help cover it.  The upside of that for me, here in Australia, is that the pens take a few days from postage to delivery, instead of 3-4 weeks (plus up to 2 weeks for manufacture!). Really disappointing that they play the kinds of games @mhguda is complaining about - especially when there's no explanation as to why.  

1 hour ago, Jamerelbe said:

Ranga have been forced to rely on an international courier, because India Post is no longer shipping out of the country.  They used to include the cost of shipping in the purchase price of the pen, but now add an extra US$10-15 on top to help cover it.  The upside of that for me, here in Australia, is that the pens take a few days from postage to delivery, instead of 3-4 weeks (plus up to 2 weeks for manufacture!). Really disappointing that they play the kinds of games @mhguda is complaining about - especially when there's no explanation as to why.  

That's a fair way to put it. The pandemic has really done a number on international postage. It's great that Ranga has been able to adapt. 

I just put in an order today so hoping to receive the pen soon-ish!

It may well be the case that the additional sum was for some kind of import tax.  I expected to pay it in the UK when the pen arrived, but I lucked in.  It got through without any extra charge.  I'm waiting for a pen from the USA to arrive and I expect to have to pay on that one, I had pretty much stopped buying from sellers in the US as the parcels always got caught for tax.  

Same in Belgium, and according to customs and VAT legislation, you pay a certain amount in taxes (customs fees, VAT and duties - approximately 30% of the value of the package from my experience) for parcels originating from outside the EU. These fees differ depending on the type of imported goods. Additionally, we have to pay an extra administration fees depending on the value of the package... and this applies also for non-commercial parcels! When you add everything up, it is rapidly becoming a significant amount of money, even for small packages.

I go lucky once for a parcel coming from the US but 2 recent orders were caught and taxed resulting in a fee of 55 euros (65 USD) for packages of approximately 200 USD. That is just disproportionate if you ask me. Have no experience for parcels coming from India and that's keeping me from placing an order to Ranga...

Check out my website about Photography and Ink-making: WWW.LOKE.BE

2 minutes ago, sgphototn said:

These additional fees other than the DHL origination shipping fee are not the fault of Ranga. Blame the country you live in.

DHL/UPS/FedEx add to the mix with their not-insignificant ancillary/clearance/advancement fees which are additional to VAT and any Duty which may need to be paid.

Add lightness and simplicate.

9 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

DHL/UPS/FedEx add to the mix with their not-insignificant ancillary/clearance/advancement fees which are additional to VAT and any Duty which may need to be paid.

If they do so it's probably to be in the country guidelines for collecting the country's fees. That doesn't happen in the US.

Perhaps it would be better not to order from Ranga and pay double or more for a pen made in your country. Of course you still have other fees your country charges.

This example is why I'm for free trade.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special