What Is The Name Of This Watermans

Fernando77

Hello,

Does anyone know what year this pen was manufactured? Would like to know whether Ideal nibs came with round breathers as opposed to heart shaped breathers. I purchased this pen from the internet.

While the seller's flexing examplar shows flexing, I was not able to get as much flex when I wrote with the pen. I did not want to spring the nib. Also, the pen was listed as a super flex (see writing examplar attached) but it has virtually no bounce. I would say it is a semi flex like a 344 Montblanc, or a No. 2 Eversharp Skyline. Any other information on this set will be greatly appreciated. I am aware that "flexing" is very subjective

and depends on the pressure applied. However, I don't think this is a super flex. I decided to keep the pen because it has been very well maintained, and was recently serviced, as per the seller. The nib

is very smooth and lays down plenty of ink. The nib is approximately 3/4 of an inch. It says Watermans and has the word IDEAL right under the Watermans, and it has a 14K stamp underneath the word

IDEAL. The shoulders wrap around the nib and the feeder is smooth. The seller advertised it as a No. 4. Along the barrel are the words Waterman's Made in Canada and the third line reads: Fountain

Pen. The clip has the word Watermans stamped on it. The top of the clip has a smooth round gold colored circle. The bottom tip has 5 circles within circles in sequential sizes. It has its original hard leatherette

case, dark blue with a gold cloth lining in the interior. The pen and pencil set rest on a ribbed pattern gold satin type material. The set is held in place by two elastic small bands. In the upper inside cover,

it has the words "Waterman's" in a Times Roman font with tilted as. The cap also reads: Watermans Manufactured in Canada.The colors are very vibrant and very rich. The pattern has various double

lines which give the optical ellusion that they are indented, but in reality the pen is very smooth both on the barrel and cap. Not sure whether this set is a Lady Patricia. The Lady Patricia sets circa 1930 have

different clips and the ones that I have seen on the internet have a silver globe looking insert on the cap. Again, any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Fernando77

post-133808-0-73447700-1551912577_thumb.png

post-133808-0-03032800-1551912710_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen lady

• Freddy

• Fernando77

• Sinistral1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't help you with identifying this pen but it is a beautiful green and you have beautiful handwriting to go with it!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I'd guess, from the clip design, that it's from the 1940's, possible early 40's because there is a box round the lever. Don't know which I like more the pen set or your writing sample. :notworthy1:

I was just going to correct my post Fred, you beat me to it. However, I looked in the 1947 catalogue and it doesn't list green as one of the colours available, but I now think it's not an early 40's pen. Later ones have lever boxes too.

Thank you Pen Lady, Freddy and Sinistral1, for all your comments and observations. I measured the pen and it is 5 and 1/16 inches. This leads me to believe, coupled with Freddy's reference to the 1047 catalogue, that my pen is a 555.

What I found to be interesting is the fact that the nib has a round hole breather. Most of the Watermans that I have seen for sale have heart shaped breathers. I wonder if the heartshaped breathers have more flex. My pen flexes

but I would not say it is a super flex. Freddy, do you know where I can access the 1947 catalogue for future reference? Thank you all again. Fernando77.

Thank you Pen Lady, Freddy and Sinistral1, for all your comments and observations. I measured the pen and it is 5 and 1/16 inches. This leads me to believe, coupled with Freddy's reference to the 1047 catalogue, that my pen is a 555.

What I found to be interesting is the fact that the nib has a round hole breather. Most of the Watermans that I have seen for sale have heart shaped breathers. I wonder if the heartshaped breathers have more flex. My pen flexes

but I would not say it is a super flex. Freddy, do you know where I can access the 1947 catalogue for future reference? Thank you all again. Fernando77.

do you know where I can access the 1947 catalogue for future reference? Thank you.......

Fernando..

Waterman's Fountain Pen Catalog{s} 1890-1947

https://archive.org/details/WatermanFountainPenCatalogs

Fred

Edited by Freddy

I got this in red-black and yes, it looks like 555, there are similar pens, but usually the number and/or size of the bands on the cap is different. canadian watermans, a lovely pen

... I believe in purple ink