Understated Fountain Pens For Everyday Carry (Edc)

tpacavalcante

I also agree with the Lamy 2000 idea. But other pens with flat tops fit in with modern understated looks. If you want something low cost and like your MR you could get a Pilot 78G. Similar nib and can get them cheep on eBay. If you want a gold nib a Pilot Custom 91 in black would get you nice pen with rhodium plated nib and clip. A little larger and more money the Pilot Custom 912 would also fit the bill.

The Sailor ProGear would work.

Like someone said a Parker 45 looks like a lot of Parker ball point pens. It's a vintage model but there are lots of nibs and replacement parts still available and it's a C/C pen.

Most dark colored non-gold trim flat top pens would work. Cigar and pointed shaped pens just scream look at me more. Also anything that looks like a Montblanc would be right out. That is one brand people are programmed to notice as being "expensive". Like wearing a Rolex.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Houston

• A Smug Dill

• tpacavalcante

• Taverius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't know the Lamy Aion... I really like it! Is it made of metal or some plastic material?

Aluminium.

Wing Sung 601, a Parker 51 clone so ordinary cheap ballpointy, people may wonder if it was made in China.

It is!

Even though I enjoy my Lamy 2000, I also love WS 601 as EDC

- Parker 51

- Lamy 2000

These two pens are staples. I have both now.

The Parker 51 is great for being a bang-around workhorse, if one looks carefully, they can be had in excellent working condition for less than $40.

The Lamy 2000, on the other hand, costs significantly more than a mid-tier Parker 51 in the wild, but boasts modern production standards and customer service and warranties from Lamy, if purchased from a registered dealer. I think it's the modern "safe" pen, but it was also produced in the era of the Parker 51 (P51 production carried on into the 70's in Argentina, Lamy 2000 was created around this time).

Either way, you get an absolute tank of a pen. Both will take any ink you throw at it (I filled my Parker 51 with Baystate Blue on a couple occasions). Piston fillers in general are immune to saturated ink.

However, if you decide to purchase the Lamy 2000, piston maintenance is a topic to discuss. Refer to Goulet's video on greasing the Lamy 2000 piston video on Youtube for more info. It is imperative that you clean and maintain both of these pens. Every time I buy a Parker 51 Aerometric in the wild, the first thing I do is disassemble it and replace the sterling silver breather tube. They can corrode, clog, and even break off in the ebonite feed.

I don't mind carrying an outrageous pen but for understated everyday carry the Lamy 2000 just can't be beat!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Yes, yes, yes to Lamy 2000 and Aion. Beautiful pens and really sturdily made.

Platinum 3776 has some interesting pens; the Chartres Blue and Bordeaux might not at first sight fit your 'understated' definition, but the colours are really dark and look almost black until you shine a light through them. The new(ish) Laurel appears to be the same. You probably wouldn't want the lilac or lavender pens though! I'd suggest the 3776 if you find some of the other pens a bit large - these are not small pens but they are not big monsters either.

Could I also suggest you might enjoy a Pelikan m200 in black, or - if you can find one - the 215 in black with chrome detailing? These are lovely pens, piston fillers, like the 3776 relatively small, and have the big advantage that you can easily swap nibs or buy extra ones, including gold nibs should you feel inclined.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Lamy Safari in darker color. Always writes for me. Lighter than the 2000.

Actually I used a Parker 51 almost every day while working. Retired now.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

your job seems like you will be writing quite a bit , in which case what you might want is a pen that would feel relaxed, feel good, and preferably lightweight and sturdy , that really pretty much what most EDC require to do .. understated .. well go for that basic black or any non flashy color / pattern would be alright ( except perhaps the simple glossy white ... which is both bright and yet understated ), personally I work in an environment where I need to liaise with customers ( not on usiness but technical matters ) and I wager student / colleagues in school pretty much the same. you want to carry a pen that say something about yourself but not, and you do not want to fish out the pen and look like you are bossing around / over riding others.

A lot of what a EDC require is more about not the pen part, but its ergonomic, aesthetic and how it present ( to others ) as your pen ... I do vote for a basic black Pelikan M200 or 205 too

Kaigelu 382

a Parker Sonnet replica that for around $8 has nothing to envy from the original

writes well, is well balanced, does not dry out when capped, looks classic and simple (available in black too)

one of the few Chinese pens I would recommend

fpn_1541844979__p1160561-3_kaigelu_382_b

When I'm out and about I also want to carry a pen that doesn't scream NERD! 😂

Recently my choices included Lamy accent, Lamy nexx, Pelikan M120, Pelikan M205 transparent. I think the least conspicuous pens are those that look up to date, functional, technical, sporty - which matches everything else I have. Anything that looks like an heirloom stays home. I'm not really into the heirloom look anymore anyway.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

When it comes to understated pens, I'm partial to the Lamy CP1. It's as thin as a #2 Pencil. The pen is mostly black with a silver clip and silver (or black nib if you buy the replacement). It doesn't attract much attention because it looks just like any other pen. That tends to be one of my daily caries. The CP1 is a bit on the pricey side. I think it's around 60$ retail. I seen them around 40-45$ on ebay.

If you find the CP1 too thin, the Lamy Logo isn't a bad choice either. It's a bit thicker than the CP1. I don't own one but I've heard it's comparable to the CP1. It comes in some fairly conservative colors too. The Lamy Logo is also cheaper than the CP1.

Edited by PanDeBer

... the Lamy CP1. It's as thin as a #2 Pencil. The pen is mostly black with a silver clip and silver (or black nib if you buy the replacement). It doesn't attract much attention because it looks just like any other pen.

That's a mighty good suggestion actually!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Sansenri: Is this pen as purple as it appears in the photo? ...and, if so, where can I get one? Or, better put: WHERE CAN I GET ONE!?!?

Kaigelu 382

a Parker Sonnet replica that for around $8 has nothing to envy from the original

writes well, is well balanced, does not dry out when capped, looks classic and simple (available in black too)

one of the few Chinese pens I would recommend

fpn_1541844979__p1160561-3_kaigelu_382_b

You might like a Nemosine Neutrino. It’s understated to me, and costs $40.

You mentioned you are a teacher. If by chance you are a science teacher, almost a perfect fit.

Posted Image

I like the older style Pelikano with the metal cap. Inexpensive and one of the best steel nibs out there in my experience.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

OmegaMountain's idea is a great one - Pelikanos, cheap and reliable! One of the things I love about Pelikan, like Lamy, is the way it sees its bottom of the range pens as equally important with the flagships.

Though the ones I favour are those in bright translucent orange and purple which you could hardly call understated :-)

A good reference on Pelikanos through the ages - http://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Cartridge-filler/Pelikano/index.html

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

OmegaMountain's idea is a great one - Pelikanos, cheap and reliable! One of the things I love about Pelikan, like Lamy, is the way it sees its bottom of the range pens as equally important with the flagships.

Though the ones I favour are those in bright translucent orange and purple which you could hardly call understated :-)

A good reference on Pelikanos through the ages - http://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Cartridge-filler/Pelikano/index.html

+1 to all this. And thanks for the great link! What a super resource for fellow Pelikano nerds!