Fountainfeder For Diamine German Exclusives

rockydoggy

In a thread on the German exclusives recently put out by Diamine, Fountainfeder was recommended as a vendor carrying the ink. Given my interest in all things Prince-related, I thought I’d try them for Diamine Purple Rain. I ended up ordering 2 80ml bottles of Purple Rain, 1 30ml bottle of Smoke on the Water, 1 bottle of KWZ Warsaw Dreaming, and 1 bottle of KWZ Baltic Dreaming. With regular shipping plus 2.50 € for registered mail, the total came to 51.58 €. I made the order on January 25 and the shipment arrived on February 7 or 8—not bad at all from Germany to California. Overall a very satisfactory experience—I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from them again.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill P

• vojtahlad

• A Smug Dill

• MsRedpen

Second this - I got my Skull & Roses from them and was very happy with the communications, shipment, products, everything. Highly recommended.

I order regularly from Stefanie. Her service is excellent & international shipping costs are very reasonable.

Verba volant, scripta manent

+1. I sent them an email on Christmas Eve expecting that I wouldn't hear back for several days. Stefanie replied that evening, which actually made me feel a bit guilty that I might have distracted her from spending time with family.

Second this - I got my Skull & Roses from them and was very happy with the communications, shipment, products, everything. Highly recommended.

I bought it with few other inks , unfortunately I haven't received them yet :(

• 5 months later...

whoa.. that is a lot of sheen.. it also looks like this Amazon vendor is selling all the 'german market only' inks.

Edited by SpecTP

• 3 months later...

Did anyone get charged VAT when they ordered from Fountainfeder? If your shipping address is outside of the EU you should not have been charged VAT.

Currently the Fountainfeder website reflects VAT (19%) on all items, and it DOES NOT deduct the VAT charge when shipping outside the EU.

I emailed Stafanie about this and she replied that they are required to charge VAT on all sales...(which is not correct)

I sent her an email referencing the German/EU law on VAT, clearly showing shipments outside of the EU do have to pay VAT..and I sent her copies from her competitors websites in the EU which clearly indicate there is NO VAT for shipments outside of the EU....

I am hopeful that she will research this ands change her policy and her website....no reason for any of us to pay an additional 19% of VAT.

I emailed Stafanie about this and she replied that they are required to charge VAT on all sales…

Same.

(which is not correct)

I sent her an email referencing the German/EU law on VAT, clearly showing shipments outside of the EU do have to pay VAT..

Good on ya! (I meant that sincerely.)

I am hopeful that she will research this ands change her policy and her website....no reason for any of us to pay an additional 19% of VAT.

I wouldn't consider buying from Fountainfeder unless I want to get at least one Diamine German-market exclusive ink at the time; and when I do, the VAT part that I get charged but shouldn't have to pay is probably less than the shipping charge. Furthermore, Stefanie doesn't charge me Australian GST (because she doesn't need to on account of not exporting enough to Australia on a 12-monthly basis, in all likelihood, even though there is no exemptions on low-priced imports by mail per se), so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if I really wanted to ink.

For any other orders of Diamine and KWZ Ink products, I'll just buy from Cult Pens or La Couronne du Comte, who do the right thing by me in not charging VAT for orders they ship to Australia for me.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

When I initially emailed Stefanie inquiring about the VAT...she replied

"Germany has some pretty straight forward tax laws. All international sales outside the EU have to include TAX, unless it is sold to a distributer or business"

Her above reply is categorically incorrect.

Her position on the charging of VAT to non EU customers is totally bizarre...

So I then sent her this email on Sat. , and I am awaiting a reply:

"Stefanie:

Sales to NON EU member Locations are EXEMPT from VAT.
I Purchase several thousand dollars worth of Pens, Ink, and related accessories from EU member countries every year…including Germany…I have never been charged a VAT, nor should I have been charged a VAT. It is very very clear that sales to non member EU locations are exempt from VAT.
By charging VAT when you should not, you are overcharging your non EU customers, AND placing your business in a less competitive position with vendors who are correctly NOT charging non EU sales the VAT.
I just purchased Ink from 2 vendors within the EU last week…one in Germany…NO VAT.
I want to purchase products from you Stefanie, But I am not willing to pay an additional 19%VAT that I should not be charged.
What can we do?
Bill P.
Here are some portions from some of your competitors websites:
We offer these inks for € 20.- including the German VAT of 19%
or € 16,81 without the German VAT if shipped to the outside of
the European Union.

VAT and Tax Free shopping

All prices on the web site include 21% sales tax (VAT). Of course, with your order you will receive an invoice mentioning the applicable VAT.

When an order is shipped to an address outside the European Union (EU), 21% sales tax will be deducted automatically. When you create an account on our web site and your main address is outside the EU, all displayed prices will be shown excluding VAT. Please note that although your billing address may be outside the EU, VAT will apply for all shipping addresses within the EU.
No VAT For Orders Outside EU
Save 21% VAT if you're shopping from outside the EU
VAT on exports to non- EU countries
VAT is a tax on goods used in the EU , so if goods are exported outside the EU , you do not charge VAT. You can zero rate the sale, as long as you get and keep evidence of the export, and comply with all other laws
Here is another excerpt from a VAT Tax Expert:
Exporting to non-EU Countries
When exporting goods from Germany to non-EU countries a VAT free treatment is possible. The goods have to be declared at the customs when leaving the EU. In order to treat the sales VAT free, the following has to be noted:
  • Client is seated outside the EU.
  • A net invoice with a note about the VAT free export has to be issued.
  • The goods have to be declared at the customs when leaving the EU.
  • A so called “Ausgangsvermerk” from the customs is required.

For the export to non-EU countries to clients (B2B or B2C) the most important fact is that the declaration at the customs was performed and that a so called “Ausgangsvermerk” from the customs is available. The German tax authorities can request this document. Only in some cases other documents can be provided as proof that the goods left the EU territory. Furthermore a correct net invoice with a note about the VAT free export has to be issued.

SUMMARY OF THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAILS
  • Exporting to clients outside of the EU can be VAT free.
  • Goods have to be customs cleared when leaving the EU.
  • A so called “Ausgangsvermerk” from the customs as confirmation that the goods left the EU has to be available and can be requested by the tax office. "

No VAT required on exports outside the EU clearly stated by the EU here:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/vat/vat-rules-rates/index_en.htm

That is an excellent link...thank-you...I have forwarded it to Stefanie....puzzling why she continues to say she is required to charge the 19% VAT on ALL sales outside of the EU...it is so clearly incorrect...and exactly the opposite of the clearly stated EU rules. There is no gray area or potential misinterpretation of the EU rules on VAT.

There are some exemptions, like “small entrepreneur” (Kleinunternehmer), with different VAT treatment. I am by no means an expert in EU VAT regulations - I trust Stefanie got correct advice from German tax authorities.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

There are some exemptions, like “small entrepreneur” (Kleinunternehmer), with different VAT treatment. I am by no means an expert in EU VAT regulations - I trust Stefanie got correct advice from German tax authorities.

Yes, there are exceptions within the EU for transactions like business to business which are also exempt from VAT ...

BUT it is VERY clear that ALL shipments outside of the Eu are EXEMPT from VAT...that is crystal clear...

The messages and links above tell the story.

Edited by Bill P

The regulations for small businesses (called "Kleinunternehmer" in Germany) does included that they do not charge VAT at all. Even not inside Germany.

So if Stephanie has her business under this law she is not allowed to invoice VAT to anybody.

The regulations for small businesses (called "Kleinunternehmer" in Germany) does included that they do not charge VAT at all. Even not inside Germany.

So if Stephanie has her business under this law she is not allowed to invoice VAT to anybody.

miel - indeed, I am aware of that and that same ruling applies in many EU countries (annual revenue thresholds for “small business” vary)

Either one is inside VAT system (charge in EU, do not charge on export, provide proof of export) or outside VAT system as small business (charge net price to all customers, no reference to VAT on documents, no VAT reporting).

I would be curious to learn if there is any grey area in above.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

I do not know VAT-related law in Germany but I suppose it will be similar to our country (the Czech Republic, yet another EU member).

Large companies account VAT separately from common expenses/revenues. Actually, these companies calculate the difference between VAT for sales and VAT for purchases and pay the difference to the government - or the government returns money to them if the difference is negative. These companies do not charge VAT for sales out ou EU (and the government returns VAT paid when purchasing the correspnding goods).

Small companies are oficially out of VAT system which means they do not account VAT separately, do not report the VAT difference to the government and do not pay it. In reality, it means that these companies purchase and sell everything including VAT. No exceptions.

Being out of the VAT system means the company has no VAT relationship to the government. It does not mean that the company sells products or services without VAT - because it has no way how to request the return of VAT from the purchases. By selling VAT-free it will lose money.

And yes, the wording of VAT-related legislation is crazy and supports the chimera that small companies do not pay/charge VAT. They do. I suppose Fountainfeder will be this case.

Edited by vojtahlad

In reality, it means that these companies purchase and sell everything including VAT. No exceptions.

Being out of the VAT system means the company has no VAT relationship to the government. It does not mean that the company sells products or services without VAT - because it has no way how to request the return of VAT from the purchases. By selling VAT-free it will lose money.

I struggle with that very idea. However, as I said before, it's only going to amount to a few dollars (if that) if and when I choose to get Diamine German-market exclusives from Fountainfeder, so it's no big deal on the premise that for anything else, I'll buy from someone else (who does the right thing from the international online consumer's viewpoint) where possible.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I do not know VAT-related law in Germany but I suppose it will be similar to our country (the Czech Republic, yet another EU member).

Large companies account VAT separately from common expenses/revenues. Actually, these companies calculate the difference between VAT for sales and VAT for purchases and pay the difference to the government - or the government returns money to them if the difference is negative. These companies do not charge VAT for sales out ou EU (and the government returns VAT paid when purchasing the correspnding goods).

Small companies are oficially out of VAT system which means they do not account VAT separately, do not report the VAT difference to the government and do not pay it. In reality, it means that these companies purchase and sell everything including VAT. No exceptions.

And yes, the wording of VAT-related legislation is crazy and supports the chimera that small companies do not pay/charge VAT. They do. I suppose Fountainfeder will be this case.

the Value Added Tax (VAT) is for transactions that occur WITHIN the EU....each EU member determines the amount of their VAT tax (the tax rate)...The VAT is applied to imports into the EU and transactions within the EU....within the EU there are certain exemptions depending on the business registration, and some other exemptions...

Shipments going OUTSIDE of the EU are EXEMPT from VAT...this is not a grey area, it is not dependent upon the business registration, it is not complicated. This is the SAME for ALL EU member countries.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/vat/vat-rules-rates/index_en.htm

Edited by Bill P