Fpn Server Migration

wimg

I just had a weird thing happen. I was replying to a thread and got an error message saying "You don't have permission". So I copied the text of my post and backed out to the main page and then went back in and got a message saying the thread couldn't be found....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Sent off mail reporting the issue and the Forum/Thread whereI had the issue.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• inkstainedruth

• Mulrich

• XYZZY

I just had a weird thing happen. I was replying to a thread and got an error message saying "You don't have permission". So I copied the text of my post and backed out to the main page and then went back in and got a message saying the thread couldn't be found....

ETA: Sent off mail reporting the issue and the Forum/Thread whereI had the issue.

I had something similar happen this evening. I assume that the thread ("Never buying from...") was deleted by a mod because we were trashing a certain pen retailer using some flowery language. Assuming it was deleted, it's also a bug that it still shows up in my notifications list of threads that have received replies. But now that I'm writing this, my brief experience with FPN is that the thread would have just been locked and not actually deleted.

Edited by XYZZY

Well, for me it was a different thread. And just now I was able to post to it without issue. Go figure.... :huh:

But yeah, you're right. Threads like that one you're describing generally just get locked. I have seen threads disappear entirely on occasion, but that is an *extremely* rare occurrence.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You may already know this, but it appears that new postings are not making it into the Waterman forum.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Am I looking at it and not seeing it (a common enough occurrence for me) or did the "Show us what pen you're using" thread go missing?

Nice job on the server move- thank you.

gary

Edited by gary

You may already know this, but it appears that new postings are not making it into the Waterman forum.

Am I looking at it and not seeing it (a common enough occurrence for me) or did the "Show us what pen you're using" thread go missing?

Nice job on the server move- thank you.

gary

Posts are making it into the Waterman forum, no problem at all, but it may just be that some maintenance was done in the Waterman forum by a moderator.

Thank you for you rkind words on the migration!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I had a bit of trouble a little while ago (maybe an hour or so) with a page not loading (it was the one that someone started about trying to match the calligraphy hand in a 15th Century Spanish court document) I ended up quitting Safari and clearing the cache a couple of times in order to get thing to unfreeze. :(

Seems to be okay now.... Fingers crossed.

I had a bit of trouble a little while ago (maybe an hour or so) with a page not loading (it was the one that someone started about trying to match the calligraphy hand in a 15th Century Spanish court document) I ended up quitting Safari and clearing the cache a couple of times in order to get thing to unfreeze. :(

Seems to be okay now.... Fingers crossed.

Well, Safari is indeed a pain in this regard - it requires clearign a couple of times indeed -, and iOS doesn't help either, for the same reason, and because the owner of the OS pushes a lot fo adverts on its users - one of their sources of income :).

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

My experience on the actual Mac desktop computers is that periodically, you have to -manually- delete the Safari cache folder.

What problem does manually deleting the cache folder fix? I've been a Mac user for a long time and never had to do this.

It's a side effect of how browsers work. As they wander around and cache stuff, they are supposed to clean up as they go along - and don't. So you end up with lots of little random files that can eventually have the same names as new files - plus other stuff.

The built in 'clean up' only works just so well. IE was the worst culprit, but they all do it. Safari is bad because on a Mac, you can't use a third party tool to help clean up - so the simplest fix is to manually go into the folders and remove leftovers.

I've had to do it on a number of systems that were having browser issues - mostly in that sites weren't loading right, or showing strange images, and a few cases - malware that couldn't be removed any other way.