Fpn Server Migration

wimg

Dearest Visitors & Members of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Server Migration and Downtime

Hopefully this weekend, from 1-2 March 2019, we will be able to migrate FPN to a new server, which is bigger, faster, and comprising more modern technology than our current server.

We do not exactly know when exactly the migration will start, but we will obviously keep you informed.

This migration is the first step towards a major upgrade of the forum software we use. The second step will most likely be an upgrade to our Classifieds add-on, followed ultimately by the forum software upgrade itself, hopefully around Easter

Obviously, such a migration will require some down time (likely up to 2 days), so we do hope you will be able to bear with us, all for the greater good of our site :).

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Warmest regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Moderator and Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• inkstainedruth

• Mulrich

• XYZZY

Update:

Migration will start at 22:00 CET, or 16:00 EST if you prefer, and will take between 2 to 5 days.

There will be some downtime at the end of the migration, probably an hour, maybe two, so not too bad. We will keep you all informed here.

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf of the Moderator and Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

The migration has started :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Initial migration was successful.

Next step is to bring FPN down for a few hors, for the final migration tasks.

This will likely happen in the next hour or so.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

So, finally our server upgrade has been finished, successfully I may add, at 03:15 CET March 4 / 21:15 EST March 3 :).

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Moderator and Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman

Hi wimg,

At the moment it appears that the server/platform is not marking either threads or notifications as read, even though I've clicked on the thread title (displayed in bold, to indicate there are unread posts) on the forum's thread index page and the links embedded in my notifications pop-up to bring said 'articles' up for reading in my (Safari on OS X) browser.

Update: Now it's working, although five minutes ago it wasn't. No worries!

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hi wimg,

At the moment it appears that the server/platform is not marking either threads or notifications as read, even though I've clicked on the thread title (displayed in bold, to indicate there are unread posts) on the forum's thread index page and the links embedded in my notifications pop-up to bring said 'articles' up for reading in my (Safari on OS X) browser.

Update: Now it's working, although five minutes ago it wasn't. No worries!

We are on a different server, with a different host, and although we have kept our old ip-addresses, I guess the new host with different ip-address may have something to do with that. Fortunately for now refresh time for DNS is set to fast, so it should indeed take minutes rather than hours :).

Busy with some final tests still, but it is looking good :).

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Wow, faster than light now :yikes: Good work!

:)

Thanks!

Just keep supporting us, and it will stay that way - or get even better ;).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I never considered the old server slow but I definitely noticed the site is loading faster today.

And a little added bonus, all the menu options on the mobile site are showing up again for me. Now I'm just waiting for the mobile site to quit deleting my apostrophes when I post something.

Thanks again for making all this happen.

Thank you kindly!

As to the apostrophes: I assume that is about an IOS device. We hope that is fixed after the general forum software upgrade, which we will hopefully be able to execute around Easter. Still busy testing a few replacements for existing add-ons first.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

There is still a problem with updating read/new messages status. I've tried deleting all the site cookies and logging out and back in but the problem still exists. If I refresh the page it shows the correct status but it requires a manual refresh.

My Website

There is still a problem with updating read/new messages status. I've tried deleting all the site cookies and logging out and back in but the problem still exists. If I refresh the page it shows the correct status but it requires a manual refresh.

I'm seeing the same thing. Chrome on Windows/MacOS, and Safari on iOS.

Safari for mac is also having the reload problem.

I should have clarified that the browsers I listed as having issues are all of the ones that I tried. Not listing one does not mean that I tried it and it works.

Today is the first day in months that I haven't had to see the new threads with three windows open & alternating between them after opening a thread & waiting for it to load, while reading the morning newspaper, online in a fourth window!

I had purchased a new MacBook Air, to replace a five year old one & was disappointed that it made no difference in viewing; I had suspected my older computer was responsible for the delayed loading of new topics.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU & THANK YOU for returning the site to the one I originally enjoyed!

We're working on this - is likely a server configuration setting, and will likely take some time to figure out considering everything has changed on the new server.

For the time being, please use the refresh option to show thw latest statuses.

Thank you in advance!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

everything seems to be working fine for me

thank you for such very fast work

Today is the first day in months that I haven't had to see the new threads with three windows open & alternating between them after opening a thread & waiting for it to load, while reading the morning newspaper, online in a fourth window!

I had purchased a new MacBook Air, to replace a five year old one & was disappointed that it made no difference in viewing; I had suspected my older computer was responsible for the delayed loading of new topics.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU & THANK YOU for returning the site to the one I originally enjoyed!

Well, thank you both :).

It may have looked fast, but preparations took a couple of weeks, and althought the site was down for about 5 hours, it was 3 1/2 days of almost continuous work :).

And FPN performs quite a bit faster now, which was the intention after all - we,ve future proofed the site, or rather, the server again for a few years :),

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman